Archie Manning

pehawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":4gpmlk90 said:
Why do you think the NFL should be exempt from that power, as the employer, when virtually no other employers are, all the way from Burger King to Microsoft?

The same reason you're saying player should be exempt from less choices as us. It's your argument.

And again, I need to know why its only okay of the owners use leverage and not the players.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The players can freely use whatever leverage they want that doesn't violate things they have legally agreed to.

pehawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":31gl2eze said:
The players can freely use whatever leverage they want that doesn't violate things they have legally agreed to.

But, you said they should be suspended for that, in Eli's case? But, the owners can back out of legal contracts with no repercussions?

I think both sides have a right to do what they want. And, I don't want either side punished for negotiating with their own best interests in mind. You seem to only want one side to be able to do that. I've never seen you post anything saying an owner should be suspended for forcing paycuts. But, Eli's a punk for using his leverage?

pehawk

Reaction score
My overall point is, people can only see one-side of the argument. Most fans get on the owners side in a holdout or contract dispute, but they don't play their own logic through when the roles are reversed, ala Michael Robinson.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
There is a lot of talk about what is right and wrong. I think the only thing that applies here is what you can and can't do. People can talk about where they refuse to play. Teams can believe them if they want to. They can use that talk to then draft the player anyway and force draft picks out of the team that wanted that player to begin with.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
pehawk":3trkbruj said:
Most fans get on the owners side in a holdout or contract dispute,

Definitely not what happened during the lockout. The vast majority of Internet talk all over the place was comprised of people ragging on Goodell and the league; most fans supported the players.

pehawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1qt10tar said:
pehawk":1qt10tar said:
Most fans get on the owners side in a holdout or contract dispute,

Definitely not what happened during the lockout. The vast majority of Internet talk all over the place was comprised of people ragging on Goodell and the league; most fans supported the players.

Not from what I saw. But, I was talking more in line with individual contracts.

Scotte nailed it, Eli wasn't wrong, really. Just like JS wasn't wrong in forcing Robinson to take a cut.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
pehawk":1ai6ktcv said:
Scotte nailed it, Eli wasn't wrong, really. Just like JS wasn't wrong in forcing Robinson to take a cut.

Well, from the perspective of Eli helping Eli, of course he wasn't wrong. That doesn't mean that everything you do that benefits yourself is right, or legal, or justified. Geez, if you believe that, go rob a bank; ethically earn that stolen cash! You got away with it, so you deserve it! ;)

pehawk

Reaction score
I'll never impose my morality on someone else. I understand Eli and I may have different values.

pehawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":jn585fbq said:
Yeah, we've never seen you do that............

Right and wrong are not always subjective.

No, they're not. But, you're saying Eli's wrong, hence you're request for his suspension?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I never said suspend him retroactively or anything like that, I'm just saying, if a player wants to refuse to fulfill his end of the bargain with the team that drafted him, he should be forced to sit out of the league for a while.

You know, like a timeout for a naughty kid that won't eat his peas.

Oops, I forgot; I'm not a parent, I can't use an analogy involving children. I won't make that mistake again, I swear!

pehawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1qtuk4t5 said:
I never said suspend him retroactively or anything like that, I'm just saying, if a player wants to refuse to fulfill his end of the bargain with the team that drafted him, he should be forced to sit out of the league for a while.

You know, like a timeout for a naughty kid that won't eat his peas.

Oops, I forgot; I'm not a parent, I can't use an analogy involving children. I won't make that mistake again, I swear!

Okay. So, what about owners who refuse to fulfill their end of the agreement?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
That agreement never guaranteed the full duration and pay under all circumstances from the employer to the employee. You're not making a proper comparison. The owners aren't on the hook for as much as the players are.

For instance, if I get you to sign a piece of paper that says I'll give you a dollar for every papaya you bring me, and you are obligated to do this at a rate of one papaya per day for five straight years, and I have a clause in that contract stating I can terminate it at will for no reason, I can do just that and tell you to go away anytime I want, but you can't do the same to me unless you manage to get me to sign that contract with a similar clause in it benefiting you.

I really don't understand why you're arguing this. Employment contracts almost always benefit the employer more than the employee. The employer has more at stake. (Look at the local machinists union's role in pissing off Boeing to the point of moving clear across the country for some evidence there.)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
San Diego turned that first overall pick into Rivers, Merriman, and Kaeding. They didn't miss Superbowls because of not having Eli.

I will say it again, if there is no rule, there is no right and wrong. Does it make Eli and his dad a couple of Douches? Yep. But being a douche is not against the rules. And I say this knowing that douchbaggery is how come I had to watch Elway in Denver.

pehawk

Reaction score
Roland, I know full well how things work. So, I don't complain about one particular side. You do, not me.

Go ahead and complain about what Eli did. But, be intellectually honest and play that logic forward and critique owners for similar use of leverage. This isn't sexuality, you gots to pick a side. Now, it took me 30 years to pick one, but I did.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
pehawk":3gdpecay said:
Roland, I know full well how things work. So, I don't complain about one particular side. You do, not me.

Actually, you do by your own admission. You said earlier in this thread you support the players side of negotiations no matter what until they get what you deem to be a fair CBA by whatever arbitrary thoughts are floating in your head on the subject. You don't complain about a particular side my ass, Ryan; you've started anti-Goodell and anti-NFL threads and participated in more, every single time backing whatever side the players are on regardless of the issue. That is your history on this forum.

Also, what in the new CBA inhibits big-dollar second contracts? Once they're eligible to get a new deal, what are the restrictions? Point them out. Here's the CBA for your convenience: http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/201 ... 1-2020.pdf

pehawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":7k6b4nqg said:
pehawk":7k6b4nqg said:

Actually, you do by your own admission. You said earlier in this thread you support the players side of negotiations no matter what until they get what you deem to be a fair CBA by whatever arbitrary thoughts are floating in your head on the subject. You don't complain about a particular side my ass, Ryan; you've started anti-Goodell and anti-NFL threads and participated in more, every single time backing whatever side the players are on regardless of the issue. That is your history on this forum.

Also, what in the new CBA inhibits big-dollar second contracts? Once they're eligible to get a new deal, what are the restrictions? Point them out. Here's the CBA for your convenience: http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/201 ... 1-2020.pdf

I don't say Goodell or owners should be suspended though. That's the difference. I'm not here saying "suspend John Schneider for leveraging Michael Robinson". That's the difference. I understand the game, both sides.

Yes, I think the NFLPA's weak, very weak. When compared to their peers, NFL players get a less fair shake. The CBA doesn't say big contracts are prohibited, its just working out that way. Tough luck for the players, they realize they got taken, yet again. That's not news. Delving into the CBA saying "show me where it says that" is weak, really and intellectually dishonest.

If you've paid attention, my criticism has been laid at the feet of the NFLPA.

My hate for Goodell is well-documented. I think he's a puppet for certain owners. I don't like his blindness to "due process" in terms of suspensions. I hate how he preaches player safety one week, then the next week lobby's for an 18 game schedule. That's really not germane to the discussion.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
pehawk":31cqozg2 said:
That's really not germane to the discussion.
Accusing me of only looking at one side while you do the same on the other side of the spectrum and me calling you out on it with you denying it isn't germane?

I...see. Sort of. Not really. Carry on, deflect away.

pehawk

Reaction score
No, you said Eli should've been punished for his actions. I've never said the owners should be suspended for not holding up their end of the contracts.