AP Comeback POY: Geno Smith

jeremiah

Reaction score
No doubt. They talked about Canales a lot on 710 yesterday afternoon. He is one hell of a position coach. I couldn't have been more wrong about Geno. Hopefully he's as good or better, and he should be better if they bring him back. I just don't want it to be at 35-40 a year. That doesn't mean I don't like the guy. I just think the team has a LOT of holes to fill.
Build a great team, and rent a QB that is how it is done. Imagine if they didn't give Russ superstar money, they could have be competitive like NE for a decade. Find a guy that doesn't want the green, and you have a better team.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
So why didn’t he win the award in 21?
#1). Too few appearances.
#2). He was a benchwarmer that was swimming in talent, and was yet to get playtime to PROVE that he was better than just about every backup in the League.
2022 the veil was lifted, Pete gave he and Drew Lock chances to show their stuff in preseason, Geno won out, and now with having won "The Comeback Player of The Year", it's in the History Books.
OH AND, On top of that are you aware that he ALSO got a vote for MVP? LOLOLOL

WarHawks

Reaction score
He came back from the abyss of irrelevancy. The rest is just semantics.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
^^EXACTLY^^
He'd been polishing the pine with his a$$ for 7 years, likely feeling like he was never going to get a chance to prove that he'd turned the corner; It wasn't until Wilson got his finger broken that he'd FINALLY be able to prove that he wasn't just some scrub backup...That award is a testament to his determination & a crapload of hard work, kudos to the man.
It's going to take a while for his 'Feel Good' to come down to earth, and hopefully, he will give Pete a hometown discount for giving him the opportunity to PROVE himself.
Now all we're looking at is the "Semantics" of just how much it's going to take to get him inked.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He deserved the award, just a funny name. Breakout player of the year matches up. Way too worked up over an award. He had a hell of a season, good enough.
I never said he didn't deserve it. I just hope the contract has some incentives in it. Not just a huge deal with a huge guarantee. That's not much to ask and/or hope for.
Does NOT mean that someone hates Geno. Quite the contrary, I'm hoping he's under center the next couple season. At the right price (while grooming the future QB)
If he earns those incentives, even better. That just means more success for the team.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Smith was a starter, a highly touted draft pick, and one of only 4 rookies to beat the Patriots in their prime years. He had a less than stellar career as a starter, but at least some of the blame is laid at the feet of the Jets.

An injury relegated him to a long-term backup role, which he came back from, in his first year as a starter with the Hawks.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
He deserved the award, just a funny name. Breakout player of the year matches up. Way too worked up over an award. He had a hell of a season, good enough.
I never said he didn't deserve it. I just hope the contract has some incentives in it. Not just a huge deal with a huge guarantee. That's not much to ask and/or hope for.
Does NOT mean that someone hates Geno. Quite the contrary, I'm hoping he's under center the next couple season. At the right price (while grooming the future QB)
If he earns those incentives, even better. That just means more success for the team.
"At The Right Price"? YEP, I could not agree more; As much as I like Geno, the Balancing act with the CAP dollars that John Schneider has to work with limits what he can do financially.
The money has benefit the entire team, Geno has to know that John can't afford to put the "Lions Share" into just one basket, you're also right about the "Incentives" they also need to be a BIG part of that Contract, because the way I see it, if Geno has the confidence in his ability to reach those "Incentives", I think he would be willing to jump at the chance to show/prove that he still can.
I've also said (in other threads) that I think they should Draft another young Quarterback to come in and learn/benefit (like Geno did sitting behind Manning, Rivers and Wilson) the intricacies of the position, as I've never liked the idea of just throwing an unprepared Rook out there to the wolves.

balakoth

Reaction score
Imagine people having other shit to do in their lives.. "Boohoo he didn't show up"

Give me a Fin break

Latest posts