AP Comeback POY: Geno Smith

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I really thought McCaffery or Saquon would get it since Geno had less to "come back" too, whereas they were studs before the injuries piled up and Geno's career was modest. Very happy for him and for PC/JS for a phenomenal offseason that brought Geno to the Pro-Bowl and 2 ROYC finalists. I don't have the NFL research powers but I'd say that has to be in the elite tier of offseason moves in the history of the league. I'd say that I hope Geno is flexible with us on a new contract but I also believe players have the right and duty to get whatever they can before one play can end their career.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Solid award. But probably should have been breakout player of the year. He didn't really come back from anything other than.......doing nothing.
So he didn't even show up to accept the award? Strange.
Not even close to MVP level. Solid season overall, but MVP level, no.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
That cements it. Pay the guy 40M a year for the next 5 seasons and let the Super Bowls roll in.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I know that's sarcasm, but there are people who actually believe he's not only a Super Bowl level QB, but that 35-40 mil a year would be justified.
He's a good QB who can keep them Playoff - but not championship level for a couple years. There are WAY too many holes to be filled on this team.
Now, IF they had a damn good defense and were loaded in the trenches, Geno and the team could absolutely do some damage.

Last edited:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Congrats to Geno! However, I too must admit I was baffled that he didn't attend? Everyone else who received an award did. Maybe he was ill or something unexpected came up?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Congrats to Geno! However, I too must admit I was baffled that he didn't attend? Everyone else who received an award did. Maybe he was ill or something unexpected came up?

If he couldn’t attend, it would have been no biggie to send someone to accept the honor right? Even the presenters seemed surprised.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Agreed. Seemed snubbish to me. Maybe he will make a comment about it. Not a huge deal and I don't want to take away from his winning the award but I was surprised.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I love that he won as Seahawks fan but it seems like someone who overcame a massive injury should probably get it? I'll get killed for that take but not sure I agree he deserved it. He deserves something for wiating 10 years and then having a monster year but comeback player of the year doesn't seem to fit to me. I'll take it though.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. They talked about Canales a lot on 710 yesterday afternoon. He is one hell of a position coach. I couldn't have been more wrong about Geno. Hopefully he's as good or better, and he should be better if they bring him back. I just don't want it to be at 35-40 a year. That doesn't mean I don't like the guy. I just think the team has a LOT of holes to fill.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I really thought McCaffery or Saquon would get it since Geno had less to "come back" too, whereas they were studs before the injuries piled up and Geno's career was modest. Very happy for him and for PC/JS for a phenomenal offseason that brought Geno to the Pro-Bowl and 2 ROYC finalists. I don't have the NFL research powers but I'd say that has to be in the elite tier of offseason moves in the history of the league. I'd say that I hope Geno is flexible with us on a new contract but I also believe players have the right and duty to get whatever they can before one play can end their career.
In the beginning of the year, Geno was considered THE bottom of the League Quarterback, a "Has Been" that would be lucky to win FIVE GAMES for the Seahawks; 4,280 yards, and the Playoffs, talk about coming out of nowhere.
Like I said, his "Comeback" was from EXPECTED OBSCURITY.
Now it's just a matter of How Much it will take to get him signed, and how much of an impact that number will have on upgrading the rest of the team, seems like a lot of speculations & assumptions that have him maybe asking for the moon, but the reality is? Nobody here can actually diss the guy for wanting to get a fair deal, hell, it may turn out to be a team friendly deal...I'm taking the "Wait And See" before going off the deep end, eh?

Last edited: