Anyone think Bevell finally learned his lesson this game?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
strohmin":3l6gpdzb said:
After that int, his play calling was mostly "Feed the Beast." I don't think we are gonna see any passes inside the 5 yard line.
No, but I hope I'm wrong.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Of course we're gonna see passes inside the 5 yard line. And we're gonna score on some of them too.

getnasty

Reaction score
I have no problem with putting the ball in Russell's hands there. In fact if you ask me weather i like the ball in Marshawn's hands or Russell's hands with a yard to go, i'll take Russell every time.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
getnasty":1i5ngmcm said:
I have no problem with putting the ball in Russell's hands there. In fact if you ask me weather i like the ball in Marshawn's hands or Russell's hands with a yard to go, i'll take Russell every time.

See, I like a good mix. But that's just me.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Probably not. Because he's dog poop.

Please let some poor hapless franchise or Big 10 school hire this bum in the offseason.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Hasselbeck":jpfy5amw said:

Please let some poor hapless franchise or Big 10 school hire this bum in the offseason.

Then we can promote Kris Richard! Or bring in Gruden or Mariucci!!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1dhosg2l said:
Hasselbeck":1dhosg2l said:

Gruden please!! (not gonna happen though)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2p56nid9 said:
Hasselbeck":2p56nid9 said:

They could run a PS4 with Madden 2015 on the sideline next year and use "Ask Madden" and it would be better than Darrel Bevell.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2e56ypoy said:
Zebulon Dak":2e56ypoy said:
Hasselbeck":2e56ypoy said:

They could run a PS4 with Madden 2015 on the sideline next year and use "Ask Madden" and it would be better than Darrel Bevell.

Sounds like a job for Throwdown.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1q8x87x9 said:
Hasselbeck":1q8x87x9 said:
Zebulon Dak":1q8x87x9 said:
Hasselbeck":1q8x87x9 said:

Sounds like a job for Throwdown.
Count me in!! C'mon Throw, your team needs you.

plyka

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":b701k7st said:
I think so, he would have been run out of town if we did not win that game. Hope he starts calling games like the second half of last season. I said some mean things about him after the INT, not very nice of me.

I agree with you here, and think once the Hawks fell down by 21 he started doing much better. But it's not about "feeding the beast" or passing, it's about being unpredictable but smart. Bevell tends to be "unpredictable" in the dumbest of spots --1st and goal on the 1 yard line, why not pass the ball. Well in that situation, it's ok to be predictable, at least on 1st down. Give it to your beast. If it is 3rd and 6, don't pass it EVERY TIME, here is a situation where you may want to be unpredictable.

Also, his overall playcalling has been shite. This team needs to exploit the mid range passing game, crossing routes, outs, hooks, etc. This part of the passing game has been missing.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
plyka":grzfu1u6 said:
..... But it's not about "feeding the beast" or passing, it's about being unpredictable but smart. Bevell tends to be "unpredictable" in the dumbest of spots --1st and goal on the 1 yard line, why not pass the ball. Well in that situation, it's ok to be predictable, at least on 1st down. Give it to your beast. If it is 3rd and 6, don't pass it EVERY TIME, here is a situation where you may want to be unpredictable.

Also, his overall playcalling has been shite. This team needs to exploit the mid range passing game, crossing routes, outs, hooks, etc. This part of the passing game has been missing.
This is EXACTLY what a lot of us have tried to succinctly put into words and you sir have done it. GREAT post!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1bygj655 said:

Bevell is another Gus Bradley. Very hit-and-miss, can definitely be improved upon.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
nategreat":1260htck said:
Frohawk25360":1260htck said:
hopefully he goes home sits back and remembers we r a run first ball team

I have no problem passing the ball more, in fact I prefer we be a more pass-happy team. But when we get to the goal line, and you have been running well all game, YOU GIVE THE BALL TO BEAST. Seems like a pretty simple idea.
Pass happy is great IF the O-Line has the cajoles to give Russ the time to find a half-assed open Receiver, or if RW isn't being trampled in 1 to 3 Seconds after the ball is snapped.
Ideally, you keep the Defenses guessing by mixing it up throughout the game, and if the O-Line starts showing wear, you take some of the load off them AND RW by feeding the ball to the BEAST.

hawk45

Reaction score
What scutter said. Our pass pro is so bad that unless the defense has serious worry about run vs pass, they get to Russell in no time at all. In fact when Lynch is on the sidelines I feel like the defense completely disregards our run game and gets after Russell. Worst of ALL is the empty backfield, where not only is Lynch not out there, but NO back is out there.

We cannot be a pass happy team for that reason. It'll get Russell killed (more) and our offense will suck (more).

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Harperville":1k18sie8 said:
What if it turns out Russell saw something in the defense and called an audible at the line to throw instead?

I know when they liined up, I said "Throwing against this front" because of what the D was showing. I wasn't surprised that we threw against what they showed us, but I am curious if it was designed that way or if Russ changed the play etc. It looked like we had what we wanted and the D made a great play. Not sure if Russ even saw where he was throwing, though.

CANHawk

Reaction score
People who call for Mooch or Gruden to be our OC are permanent residents of la-la land. Hell, Carroll used to work FOR Mooch! Unless your name is Dave Wanstead, guys don't go backwards like that...

But yeah, I think Bev's fine. Could be better, but we've lived through worse (Knapp anyone? )