All the hate Goodell gets is kind of ridiculous

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Roger Goodell's dad was a great man who took an unpopular position against the Vietnam War and harmed his career irreparably as a result.

Roger Goodell learned from that to just play it safe and be a craven, equivocating suit whose position suits whatever he thinks will make the owners throw him a Milk Bone.

pehawk

Reaction score
General Manager":y4pd4smv said:
Goodell is an arrogant jackass. Sorry but it's true.

Guys like you don't get it. Guys like me, like to be unique, by supporting things that aren't popular, like Rog.

I like Goodell because its unique and makes me stand out.

peytonmanning18

Reaction score
Goodell is a great commissioner. He has done more to protect the league and sport of football than any commissioner ever before him. He has to clean up their mess that they just passed along until now. All the rules for protection are to keep the NFL in existence. He needs to make it as safe as possible or there won't be an NFL.

C-Dub

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1mkv9385 said:
Once again let me highlite the fsct that goodell is not a bumbling fool. He knows what he's doing to keep the NFL alive and well. People like PE seem to think he's sitting around going " doh.... he wore the wrong color 40k fine! This guy hurt another guy. Lets only five him a 5k fine!" Everything he does is a result of outside influences dictating he doea business a certain way. If you don't like the way he does things hate the way the business is set up, but don't dump everything on Goodell

Bottom line is goddell is doing a good job priority #1 the long term health of the nfl
And more profit = more staying power. And the nfl is more profitable as ever
He's doing a great job. The NFL is the best pro sport out there. He still needs to look at all the rules and adjust penalties/fines so they actually make logical sense. And Goodell is the main man, so he's the one people will point fingers at.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Goodell has owners happy, he got them a CBA they love.

Otherwise, Goodell is fully aware that none of us are going to quit watching no matter what he does.

On the West coast/East coast thing, when an east coast team complained about consecutive games out of town on the west coast, Roger fixed the rules, and fast. Western teams have noted the unfairness for years since, and Roger is seeing what he can do. That is bullshit.

I actually like some of the safety rules, especially the ones targeting plays intended to injure. But fining a player the same amount for wearing non sponsored clothing as you would for an illegal hit does tell what the real agenda is.

Roger is an irritation, but that is all. David Stern made me quit watching ball. roger is nowhere close to that.

OrFan

Reaction score
I don't personally care for the guy, but he is better than Paul Tagliabue, the idiot he replaced.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
LOL LOL LOL I like this guy and his thoughts about America. Oh the most popular thing on T.V, with billions and billions of dollars at stake. Is going to be shutdown by petty law suits. Yeah the owners are taking some steps so things don't get out of control. Football is a part of America, this is like suggesting deep frying turkeys is going to be outlawed because of the risk.

253hawk

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":o1ppmze7 said:
Ball spinning - verboten.
Cut blocks - totally ok.

Not sure I get the line of thinking on that.

Spitting at another player: $17,000 fine (Sean Taylor)
Wear non-officially sponsored apparel to a post-game presser (or Cam Newton's Under Armor visor clips): $10,000 fine
Punch a player in the face after a game: $7875 fine (Trent Williams for punching Sherman *after* the game)

He's not a horrible commissioner by any means, but he sure has sucked some fun out of the league. We've already lost creative end zone celebrations, ball-spinning and taunting...probably won't be long before he gets his wish and kickoff returns are abolished.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
There are plenty of calls that need to be thrown the heck out. Any and all taunting calls need thrown out, these are grown men out there not little kids. 253hawk you put up some great what the heck fine examples. There are always improvements that can be made in everything, but some of their "improvements" don't make sense. If he truly is trying to do something about the west coast teams playing at 10am than why do we have 5 games this season?

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
The 10am starts is the worst. Even if all 6 pacific/mountain time teams traveled East on the same sunday - they could still likely start at 4pm eastern and not cause too many scheduling conflicts (as far as sharing TV time goes) imo.
http://imgur.com/16WWIu1 Team map / USA overlay

With everything Paul Allen has done to make the Hawks as sick as possible, I have to assume he's pushed hard for scheduling equality as well. Giving the WC teams a fair schedule is against most of the other clubs bottom line though.

pehawk

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":103anuzt said:
The 10am starts is the worst. Even if all 6 pacific/mountain time teams traveled East on the same sunday - they could still likely start at 4pm eastern and not cause too many scheduling conflicts (as far as sharing TV time goes) imo.
http://imgur.com/16WWIu1 Team map / USA overlay

With everything Paul Allen has done to make the Hawks as sick as possible, I have to assume he's pushed hard for scheduling equality as well. Giving the WC teams a fair schedule is against most of the other clubs bottom line though.

You just don't get it, man. Roger works for the owners and needs to have an eye for franchise equality, that means looking out for the Mara's, Johnsons and Snyders. you don't get it.

People like Clumsy don't get it.

peytonmanning18

Reaction score
cockeyhawk":1vlguye1 said:
LOL LOL LOL I like this guy and his thoughts about America. Oh the most popular thing on T.V, with billions and billions of dollars at stake. Is going to be shutdown by petty law suits. Yeah the owners are taking some steps so things don't get out of control. Football is a part of America, this is like suggesting deep frying turkeys is going to be outlawed because of the risk.

That's exactly the problem for the future. So many people watch on TV and they see guys tearing ligaments, getting concussions, bleeding all over the place and they decide that football is not something they want their kids doing. So those kids don't play football and go play another sport. With less kids, you get less talent coming up through the ranks which in turn will make the NFL product not as good and those kids that aren't playing football are going to go play soccer or some other sport. So when you get kids that don't play football, they aren't as interested in watching football so in 20 years I won't be surprised if the NFL is significantly less popular than it is now.

OP
OP
therealjohncarlson

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
peytonmanning18":3ftqhx87 said:
cockeyhawk":3ftqhx87 said:

That's exactly the problem for the future. So many people watch on TV and they see guys tearing ligaments, getting concussions, bleeding all over the place and they decide that football is not something they want their kids doing. So those kids don't play football and go play another sport. With less kids, you get less talent coming up through the ranks which in turn will make the NFL product not as good and those kids that aren't playing football are going to go play soccer or some other sport. So when you get kids that don't play football, they aren't as interested in watching football so in 20 years I won't be surprised if the NFL is significantly less popular than it is now.

Money speaks dude. If football players are still making millions of dollars and living the life, there will always be kids playing and reaching towards that dream

pehawk

Reaction score
So, I think Roger's biased and has his favorites. Players like T-Sizzle also think that. He's openly expressed concern over east coast teams heading west, not vice versa. But, yeah, I just don't get it.

mikeak

Reaction score
peytonmanning18":3udrpzmn said:
cockeyhawk":3udrpzmn said:

Not a lot of people in Rome actually spent time as gladiators. Still a popular entertainment option :D

peytonmanning18

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":33gwew3r said:
peytonmanning18":33gwew3r said:
cockeyhawk":33gwew3r said:

Money speaks dude. If football players are still making millions of dollars and living the life, there will always be kids playing and reaching towards that dream

But if football becomes less popular among the public then there won't be as much money for those guys.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
peytonmanning18":oba3e8l3 said:
cockeyhawk":oba3e8l3 said:

Our son wants to play football and heck yeah we would let him.

peytonmanning18

Reaction score
Kixkahn":ad2dqgt7 said:
peytonmanning18":ad2dqgt7 said:
cockeyhawk":ad2dqgt7 said:

Our son wants to play football and heck yeah we would let him.

That's one but look around the country. Not as many kids are playing football.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
pehawk":3ubvg9hf said:
General Manager":3ubvg9hf said:
Goodell is an arrogant jackass. Sorry but it's true.

Guys like you don't get it. Guys like me, like to be unique, by supporting things that aren't popular, like Rog.

I like Goodell because its unique and makes me stand out.

Signed, John Morgan.