After rewatching end of 3rd quarter/4th quarter tape

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Laloosh":3ua51gf5 said:
seahawk12thman":3ua51gf5 said:
The DB at the top was at least 9 yards off the receiver and was backpedaling every play. if he had done a stop and start 3 yards off the line of scrimmage he would have had an easy first down. Again, this went on the whole game.

Everybody understands (and has said) that different routes could have been more effective against that coverage. The difference is that you're claiming that the fault lies with Wilson for not changing the play to a screen rather than the hitch for example. In that particular play, the defense shows blitz and then the safety drops into coverage, expecting something like the screen I'd imagine.

In both of the examples (including the one you pointed out specifically), a screen could have easily been a pick six or TFL at the very least. The corners were looking for it.

How about the OC calls plays with routes that will beat the soft coverage, you know, since it was happening "all game"?

BTW, that DB was reading the QB the entire time. He was waiting to jump that route.

The Bengals were leaving their DB's off the line of scrimmage the whole game. Bevell and Wilson had several opportunities to exploit this.

Laloosh

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":2va13uva said:
The Bengals were leaving their DB's off the line of scrimmage the whole game. Bevell and Wilson had several opportunities to exploit this.

Granted, but your post read (in all caps) IT'S ALL ON WILSON!!!!!

I think you're forgetting part of the equation.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Crizilla":ffwrzdir said:
Laloosh":ffwrzdir said:
Here's the other 3rd and 4. As I said, I think the OP is exaggerating.

PLLHxK8.gif

Wilson should have thrown it to Graham. Jump ball situation. Just put it in the realm of Graham and see if he makes a play. Brees did just fine.

If he had thrown to Graham it would have been knocked down by 91 at the line.

OP
OP
seahawk12thman

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Laloosh":3sff9h0n said:
seahawk12thman":3sff9h0n said:

So you don't think Russ has the ability to audible? I know Bevell is a failure but Russ should have that autonomy by now.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Laloosh":20dmm9fo said:
Here's the other 3rd and 4. As I said, I think the OP is exaggerating.

PLLHxK8.gif

There is nothing wrong with this route IMO. Graham is singled up, and if you throw to his outside shoulder, it isn't particularly dangerous, and I bet Jimmy makes the play.

If there's a reason it gets blown up, it's because the spy gets in his passing lane. But I think Russ could've gotten this throw off before he got there if he hadn't double clutched. And if he was going to hesitate, he should've looked him off.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":2bbwcfor said:
seahawk12thman":2bbwcfor said:
Don't blame the Oline.

The Bengals put 8 in box to stop run..

Wilson had time to throw.

Watching the tape made me want to throw up. :pukeface:

The Hawks should have easily won this game. For those of you that have the game recorder, watch the cushion Bengal DB's were giving our receivers (9-11 yards every play) including the 3rd and 4 play which would have given us the first down and win. WHY IN THE HELL WERE WE NOT THROWING BUBBLE SCREENS TO LOCKETT????? By not taking the yards the Bengals were giving us, we played to their strengths, since the Bengals could just bunch up 10 yards down the field giving Russell Wilson no passing lanes. THEY WERE GIVING US 5 YARDS A PLAY AND THIS HAPPENED IN THE RAMS GAME AS WELL!!. No excuses, Wilson needs to audible and check down. This was not on Bevell. If our Quarterback can't recognize this then why is he spending all this time in the film room????

THIS LOSS IS ON WILSON!!!!!

End of Story.

I think you're exaggerating a bit. The 3rd and 4 for example. Wilson's first read was to Lockett's side but there were three defenders all within a few yards of the marker. The designed route is what the corner was waiting to jump (he's watching Wilson the entire time). To make matters worse, the DE is in Wilson's face in about 1 second. He has very little time to make a decision and rather than throw a pick six to a hitch route, he threw it where Kearse had a chance if he beats his man 1:1.

C5mUk4z.gif

Sure, Russ could have audibled to a screen (or maybe he can't, I don't know) but he'd be throwing to a receiver with 1 blocker and three defenders to account for.

[edit] Seem to recall another 3rd and 4 later int he game. Will check so don't go all Hope Solo on me (and you did say all of the 3rd and 4th quarter).
I see a pocket he could have stepped up and gained yards running or passing before the los.It's not easy to do I guess but he needs to learn like all great ones have.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
themunn":2y3bcd67 said:
SeatownJay":2y3bcd67 said:
There's one play I can't get over. In the 3rd quarter Russell goes deep to Lockett. Tyler makes the catch and is initially ruled inbounds for a 40 yard gain, but replay shows that he got one foot out of bounds. If Russ throws that ball more in the field instead of leading Lockett to the sideline it's not only a catch, but most likely a TD.

Nah the one that gets me is the Lockett incompletion in OT
Apparently tackling the player before the ball arrives is fair game now.
It's a shame that is one of the plays that the pocket completely broke down too as Lockett was away for a TD if Wilson had time to set his feet and throw it deep(er)

The refs were definitely very inconsistent on their calls this game. That was a blatant hit before the ball reached Lockett and he would have caught that ball had he not been hit. They called PI on a ball that floated out of bounds for the Bengals. The pass to Lockett was more catchable than that one was. Oh well, the game should have never came to that.

The Seahawks pooed a win away. They've been doing that on consistent basis lately and it has to stop. Even the win against the Lions they tried to give that game away. They led by 10 points at the start of the 4th just like they did yesterday.

xgeoff

Reaction score
mikeak":7izslc7g said:
OP - I just looked at the text on paper what happened once seattle hit 24 pts

Except for one movent of the chain it was run, run, pass (punt)

How is that RW's fault

How about this:

1. Poor throws
2. Poor decisions on who to throw to
3. Turtling up in the pocket before the pressure materializes

That's off the top of my head, I'm sure I could think of some more...

Don't get me wrong. I'm a Russ fan. I think he had a bad game, though. Lots of underthrown or poorly thrown balls.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":25dwieqc said:
Laloosh":25dwieqc said:
SeatownJay":25dwieqc said:
There's one play I can't get over. In the 3rd quarter Russell goes deep to Lockett. Tyler makes the catch and is initially ruled inbounds for a 40 yard gain, but replay shows that he got one foot out of bounds. If Russ throws that ball more in the field instead of leading Lockett to the sideline it's not only a catch, but most likely a TD.

Not sure if you noticed but Russ can't even follow through on that throw. Also, looked like a really nice throw to me.

Z4NR38E.gif

This was just bad footwork by Lockett

No way. You need to throw this ball inside. There was no safety help. You throw this inside, you have a TD.

xgeoff

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":1feocf91 said:
Scottemojo":1feocf91 said:
Laloosh":1feocf91 said:
seahawk12thman":1feocf91 said:
Don't blame the Oline.

The Hawks should have easily won this game. For those of you that have the game recorder, watch the cushion Bengal DB's were giving our receivers (9-11 yards every play) including the 3rd and 4 play which would have given us the first down and win. WHY IN THE HELL WERE WE NOT THROWING BUBBLE SCREENS TO LOCKETT????? By not taking the yards the Bengals were giving us, we played to their strengths, since the Bengals could just bunch up 10 yards down the field giving Russell Wilson no passing lanes. THEY WERE GIVING US 5 YARDS A PLAY AND THIS HAPPENED IN THE RAMS GAME AS WELL!!. No excuses, Wilson needs to audible and check down. This was not on Bevell. If our Quarterback can't recognize this then why is he spending all this time in the film room????

End of Story.

I think you're exaggerating a bit. The 3rd and 4 for example. Wilson's first read was to Lockett's side but there were three defenders all within a few yards of the marker. The designed route is what the corner was waiting to jump (he's watching Wilson the entire time). To make matters worse, the DE is in Wilson's face in about 1 second. He has very little time to make a decision and rather than throw a pick six to a hitch route, he threw it where Kearse had a chance if he beats his man 1:1.

C5mUk4z.gif

Sure, Russ could have audibled to a screen (or maybe he can't, I don't know) but he'd be throwing to a receiver with 1 blocker and three defenders to account for.

[edit] Seem to recall another 3rd and 4 later int he game. Will check so don't go all Hope Solo on me (and you did say all of the 3rd and 4th quarter).
His best pass catcher is blocking on that play.

Lockett up top should have been the beneficiary of a Wilson pass on this play.

Exactly, not a good read, and definitely not a good block by Gilliam. Someone tell Gilliam to take off his roller skates.

Hawkboi

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":10t5gk5e said:
This is becoming a trend with Wilson. Not sure if it's his vision or lack thereof, if he isn't recognizing what the defense is giving him, if his head is scrambled and he can't make the right choice in the time given, what it is.

I noticed a bit of that while watching the game.

I love the man, his grit and determination is sick. His poise and football smarts seem to be getting exposed a bit this year, more than previously.

Happens everytime a QB gets a girlfriend and a Big Mansion... :34853_doh:

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Armchair Bronco":2ttv36n6 said:
I think Kam is the goat for being out of position on both TDs to the tight end. Ironically, both touchdowns were identical plays, and Kam apparently learned nothing the first time around.

Another goat is Bennett for the stupid personal foul after Earl's INT. What a waste of great field position. That cost the Hawks 4 points IMO.

Finally, why the hell did Bevell and Carroll pull Rawls at the end of the game and in overtime to make Fred Jackson the featured back? Rawls was on fire, But those clowns replaced him with a pedestrian Jackson when we needed a bruising runner. I don't get it.

Fire PC!

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Hawkboi":d89102lk said:
LoneHawkFan":d89102lk said:
This is becoming a trend with Wilson. Not sure if it's his vision or lack thereof, if he isn't recognizing what the defense is giving him, if his head is scrambled and he can't make the right choice in the time given, what it is.

I noticed a bit of that while watching the game.

I love the man, his grit and determination is sick. His poise and football smarts seem to be getting exposed a bit this year, more than previously.

Happens everytime a QB gets a girlfriend and a Big Mansion... :34853_doh:

I think his lack of seeing open receivers is more to do with his lack of a sex life than anything else. Haven't you noticed how much better your eyesight is when your getting steady nooky? And yes, I now wear corrective lenses. Sigh. :mrgreen:

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
xgeoff":31oqpcj2 said:
mikeak":31oqpcj2 said:
OP - I just looked at the text on paper what happened once seattle hit 24 pts

Except for one movent of the chain it was run, run, pass (punt)

How is that RW's fault

How about this:

1. Poor throws
2. Poor decisions on who to throw to
3. Turtling up in the pocket before the pressure materializes

That's off the top of my head, I'm sure I could think of some more...

Don't get me wrong. I'm a Russ fan. I think he had a bad game, though. Lots of underthrown or poorly thrown balls.

The 4th quarter has been troubling for Wilson this year

1st 16/23 69.5% 179 yards 1TD/0INT 107 rating
2nd 29/38 76.3% 347 yards 1TD/1INT 101.6 rating
3rd 29/41 70.7% 372 yards 3TD/1INT 113.1 rating
4th 25/39 64% 231 yards 1TD/1INT 78 QB rating

BadgerVid

Reaction score
Laloosh":5x40yguh said:
HawkinNY":5x40yguh said:
I think Wilson has to much going on in his personal life and is not ready.

I must know, why do you think this? Before you answer, please try to recall that he's been through a divorce and two super bowls.

This actually brings up something that has been bothering me. Up until this year, we were always hearing about how Wilson was the first in the facility each morning and the last out at night. He was either working on film or doing extra work with the receivers. This year I hear that Lockett is the guy who is always at the facility working on routes, watching film and working out...the silence about Russell's vaunted work ethic is deafening.

As some may have noticed, I am a big supporter of RW...but this has been bothering me all year.

Laloosh

Reaction score
BadgerVid":2mg7p20n said:
This actually brings up something that has been bothering me. Up until this year, we were always hearing about how Wilson was the first in the facility each morning and the last out at night. He was either working on film or doing extra work with the receivers. This year I hear that Lockett is the guy who is always at the facility working on routes, watching film and working out...the silence about Russell's vaunted work ethic is deafening.

As some may have noticed, I am a big supporter of RW...but this has been bothering me all year.

Blitzer, I think your job may be in jeopardy...

Saywha

lobohawk

Reaction score
BadgerVid":30bahl5k said:
Laloosh":30bahl5k said:
HawkinNY":30bahl5k said:
I think Wilson has to much going on in his personal life and is not ready.

I must know, why do you think this? Before you answer, please try to recall that he's been through a divorce and two super bowls.

Most likely because it's not something remarkable for Wilson any longer. It's expected.

mrt144

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":1sqr3e2j said:
Laloosh":1sqr3e2j said:
seahawk12thman":1sqr3e2j said:

So you don't think Russ has the ability to audible? I know Bevell is a failure but Russ should have that autonomy by now.

And what if he doesn't? Should he take it up with Pete?

Brithawk

Reaction score
Armchair Bronco":fir40rkz said:
I think Kam is the goat for being out of position on both TDs to the tight end. Ironically, both touchdowns were identical plays, and Kam apparently learned nothing the first time around.
The 2nd TD he had what looks like an assignment to cover the underneath, showed Marvin Jones coming over which he blocked off, Williams was late on Eifert

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
ellipi":1n0kohit said:
Laloosh":1n0kohit said:
seahawk12thman":1n0kohit said:
Don't blame the Oline.

End of Story.

C5mUk4z.gif

I see 7 guys trying to block 4 rushers. Gilliam gets owned, again. Sweezy doesn't react to help double team Dunlap. If Jackson releases sooner, Russ has a check down. 2 receivers running downfield, and the only other available receiver (Lockett?) does a curl on the left for the first down. Senseless play call and poor blocking are the culprits here, imo.

The play is designed to beat a blitz, not the soft coverage the Bengals went to. That's why there's 7 guys blocking 4 rushers. Wilson could have checked into another play, but the Bengals were showing blitz. The play was the right call until the Bengal didn't blitz and then it became the wrong call.

You can blame Bevell or Wilson. Bevell could have predicted the Bengals would play soft coverage. Russell could have seen the disguised blitz and audibled. I think it's just a part of football and a good defensive play by the Bengals

Latest posts