A thought on NFL fines

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
A thought just popped into my head. (Cue the jokes; but seriously.) I just saw the news that Suh was fined $100,000 by the NFL for that low hit the other night: http://thebiglead.com/2013/09/10/nfl-co ... -sullivan/

My thought was this. I think the NFL should cut the dollar amount of all fines in half for anything hit-related (i.e., on the field where contact made is the basis of the fine, so not fines for celebrating, or off-the-field behavior) where there is no injury caused to the opposing player, but when there IS an injury, the fine amount should be quadrupled. So to use Suh's case as an example, instead of fining him $100k since the other guy was alright, make it a $50k fine. However, if Suh had torn the guy's ACL or something, make that fine go to $400k. "Crack 'em good."

This would likely NEVER get past the NFLPA, but I do think it would help just a little bit in curbing injuries in the NFL. Thoughts?

HawksFTW

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ssw8j8p said:
A thought just popped into my head. (Cue the jokes; but seriously.) I just saw the news that Suh was fined $100,000 by the NFL for that low hit the other night: http://thebiglead.com/2013/09/10/nfl-co ... -sullivan/

My thought was this. I think the NFL should cut the dollar amount of all fines in half for anything hit-related (i.e., on the field where contact made is the basis of the fine, so not fines for celebrating, or off-the-field behavior) where there is no injury caused to the opposing player, but when there IS an injury, the fine amount should be quadrupled. So to use Suh's case as an example, instead of fining him $100k since the other guy was alright, make it a $50k fine. However, if Suh had torn the guy's ACL or something, make that fine go to $400k. "Crack 'em good."

This would likely NEVER get past the NFLPA, but I do think it would help just a little bit in curbing injuries in the NFL. Thoughts?

There have been suggestions like this in the past, the one that I always thought was fair was if a player was injured on a malicious hit that drew a penalty and/or fine, that perpetrator should be suspended as long as the victim is injured/out. Would be hard to uphold though, not just from an NFLPA standpoint.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Determining intent could be problematic, for sure. However, intent matters little, IMO. What actually happens in reality is what matters. I don't know about you, but Dan Snyder not intending to shred Clemons' ACL with his crappy field gives me zero consolation. :)