2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

sutz

Reaction score
Good solid game by LeBlanc. Great defense tonight around the infield.

Angels are going through what the M's did last year with the injuries. Can't afford to feel sorry for them. Gotta get the wins when they come. Feel pretty good with Leake going out tomorrow. 8 in a row now, could be 9.

Finally, the IBB of Trout in the 8th. No reason to pitch to him with a man on 3d and 1st base open. :2thumbs:

See, Servais can manage a game. :twisted:

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":82eyw0wb said:

Angels are going through what the M's did last year with the injuries. Can't afford to feel sorry for them. Gotta get the wins when they come. Feel pretty good with Leake going out tomorrow. 8 in a row now, could be 9.

Finally, the IBB of Trout in the 8th. No reason to pitch to him with a man on 3d and 1st base open. :2thumbs:

I walk him 100 times out of 100 in that situation. You make someone else beat you.
Trout has made the M’s pay enough times pitching to him on those situations. Slump or no slump, Trout is that good and if you pitch to him there he will beat you. Before tonight he was hitting over .600 against the M’s at Safeco with a ton of homers and rbis. Enjoy 1st base Mr. Trout.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2vukq7gr said:
sutz":2vukq7gr said:

I walk him 100 times out of 100 in that situation. You make someone else beat you.
Trout has made the M’s pay enough times pitching to him on those situations. Slump or no slump, Trout is that good and if you pitch to him there he will beat you. Before tonight he was hitting over .600 against the M’s at Safeco with a ton of homers and rbis. Enjoy 1st base Mr. Trout.

Yea except upton was 5-10 feet from giving them a lead. Im never for putting the tying run on base and lead at the plate. Just my manager way if i was.

However it worked. People look smart when it works. Jd and SS need all the credit as do the players. Enjoy this. This is best season since 01. Enjoy it. Savor it.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
LeBlanc just continues to get it done.

Yeah Colome got me very nervous, I thought the Upton hit was a HR. Anywhere other than straight away CF and that probably would have been a HR. I'm hopeful that him or Nicasio get it figured out in the next couple months.

How bad is Zunino at the plate. They flashed some stat that in his last 10 games he's hitting under .100. At what point do they decide to move on from him? Catcher is a hard spot to replace because there are so few quality catchers, but the guy is becoming a liability in the lineup. We do have to give him some credit for handling the pitchers.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Z is a great defensive catcher. He can be a much better hitter, if he wasn’t such an impatient hitter.
The guy gets himself in 0-2 counts in almost every AB. He needs to “cheat” and just hunt the fastball in the strikezone. Quit chasing curveballs in the dirt or a foot outside. It’s about focus at the plate and not swinging at crap. He doesn’t need to be the human out machine he is.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":22g3teub said:
Sports Hernia":22g3teub said:
sutz":22g3teub said:

Yea except upton was 5-10 feet from giving them a lead. Im never for putting the tying run on base and lead at the plate. Just my manager way if i was.

However it worked. People look smart when it works. Jd and SS need all the credit as do the players. Enjoy this. This is best season since 01. Enjoy it. Savor it.
I would normally agree with you in that situation, but Trout is the rare exception to that rule.
He is the best bad ball - low ball hitter in the game and is a big time clutch hitter.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3o36t8k3 said:
Shanegotyou11":3o36t8k3 said:
Sports Hernia":3o36t8k3 said:
sutz":3o36t8k3 said:

I would normally agree with you in that situation, but Trout is the rare exception to that rule.
He is the best bad ball - low ball hitter in the game and is a big time clutch hitter.
Plus, the last thing you want to do when Trout is in a slump is give him an opportunity to make a big hit and break it. ;)

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I had no issue with walking Trout. Back in the day a team intentionally walked Bonds with the bases loaded with only a two run lead.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Had a chance in the 9th today. 2 really rare piss poor AB’s by Segura and Haniger, both reaching for pitches and hitting weak grounders. Flush this game and win the next one.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2nzwlpzm said:
Had a chance in the 9th today. 2 really rare piss poor AB’s by Segura and Haniger, both reaching for pitches and hitting weak grounders. Flush this game and win the next one.
How about the 7th? Bases loaded with 0 out and they walk away empty. :34853_doh:

The M's really suck with bases loaded. They must be trying too hard or something. Hell, a couple of cheap dingers could have closed the gap a bunch. :34853_doh:

Leake kind of sucked today.

Guess the streak had to end someday, but damn I hate the Angels. :evil:

avengerboater

Reaction score
The difference in the game today was the Angels going 6-17 with RISP, while we went a measly 2-12. Kind of a crappy game today by our usual clutch hitters. Segura was 0-3 with RISP and Haniger was 0-2, both with some horrendous (uncharacteristic) swings at bad balls. And we had the right guys up at the plate with RISP, too (Cruz, Segura, Haniger, Gordon, Span, and Seager).

This, a day after Fangraphs posted an article about the 2018 M's being the most clutch team since they started tracking stats. https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-mariners-are-trying-to-be-the-clutchiest-team-on-record/

As for Zunino, he's our best catcher, by far, and the pitchers tend to pitch better when he's calling the games. You can see today that Leake shook off a lot of pitches from Herrmann, lasting only 4 innings when he's our usual inning-eater in the rotation. Z is just so, so, SO bad at the plate. It seems like whatever discipline he had last June is now eons away.

Oh well, it happens. Let's start a new win streak tomorrow!

Bright takeaway from the game: Seager seems to be coming around the last few games. Let's hope this is the start of his upswing. Bad pun intended.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Man, I was at the game and watching the scoring opportunities go by killed me. Would've been really nice to put a W today and then continue building momentum. Oh well. On to the next game!

Msfann

Reaction score
raisethe3":hp72dlm6 said:
Man, I was at the game and watching the scoring opportunities go by killed me. Would've been really nice to put a W today and then continue building momentum. Oh well. On to the next game!

I was at the game too. What the hell was zunino thinking trying to run home in the 9th? He was at third, someone else 2nd and nobody on first with 1 out. Why did he run home and get thrown out by a mile? He didn't need to run. Down by 3 and 2 on and he pisses away an out and runner in scoring position. Mister .185

sutz

Reaction score
I keep wondering why in the hell is Zunino batting any higher than 9th. It's not like we're hoping he gets extra ABs.

:229031_shrug:

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I guess from what the pre game report, Zunino was on the field with all the batting coaches.. video cameras trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Msfann":2jfyyjaq said:
raisethe3":2jfyyjaq said:

I was at the game too. What the hell was zunino thinking trying to run home in the 9th? He was at third, someone else 2nd and nobody on first with 1 out. Why did he run home and get thrown out by a mile? He didn't need to run. Down by 3 and 2 on and he pisses away an out and runner in scoring position. Mister .185

My guess was he was trying to overthink and do too much. Maybe wanted to score so badly since they were behind anyways. But yeah, I agree, he should've stayed put.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Bases loaded w/no outs and they can't get one measly run. Brutal. I was at my seats saying that this isn't the same M's etc. They are red hot, but that moment brought back bad memories :?
I didn't expect that one bit.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah that was a game to forget, left so many guys on base with RISP. Game could have gone many different ways, I counted a few times where the ball just went beyond the glove of our infielders for RBI's. The 8th and 9th inning pretty much summed up the game. Leake struggling last night makes me think Zunino is far more important than we think.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
On another note, that worthless pos doing a bat flip? Maybe he should look at his batting average or the standings :roll:

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Zunino out with a twisted ankle. As bad as he is as the plate, he does a great job with the pitching staff. No word on if he will head to the disabled list.

Latest posts