2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Lineup is pretty weak when we have guys taking days off or hurt. We just don’t have quality backups for the infield.

Everyone keeps writing off LeBlanc but he has been consistently great for us. It’s pretty clear Felix is the weak link but unless he completely implodes in the second half I don’t see him getting moved out the rotation, even if we trade for a starter. I think we make a move for another arm, just a matter of a SP or reliever. This team needs a premier starting pitcher, which he don’t think we have the assets to trade for that. Hamels has name recognition but he is probably more of a #3 starter at this point in his career. We don’t need another #3 starter, particularly a guy who’s fastball tops out in the high 80’s. Would really like to see us make a run at Archer, this team needs another SP who can throw hard to go with Pax. If we can’t add a SP, then you simply shorten the starters role by adding a premier bullpen pirece, which may be more attainable for us with what little we have in our farm system.

As much as I like Heredia’s defense, he just isn’t hitting. It’s too bad Gamel, Haniger or Span can’t play CF consistently, I wouldn’t mind making a move for a CF if we can get one.

I also can’t believe how bad Felix is in the first innino. I think heard he has a first inning ERA in the 10’s. He pitched okay yesterday, but once again he dig himself a hole early.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1n7n4im2 said:
Looks like it’s Rockies vs the Rainiers today.

Bottom of the line up looks extremely weak.

no kidding, never heard of half these guys and based on their at bats I won't hear from them again.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Ugh 3 run homer, going to be hard to cut the deficit with this lineup. I’ve said it here a few times, but on a playoff team, Pax is probably more of a #2 than an ace.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1ktsmx17 said:
Ugh 3 run homer, going to be hard to cut the deficit with this lineup. I’ve said it here a few times, but on a playoff team, Pax is probably more of a #2 than an ace.
I think Pax is an Ace, but sometimes he tends to relax too much IMHO.
That pitch the got hit out couldn’t have been T’ed up any better for the hitter, hung it big time.

Nicasio is Spanish for suck!

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1fee51wi said:
Hawk-Lock":1fee51wi said:
I think Pax is an Ace, but sometimes he tends to relax too much IMHO.
That pitch the got hit out couldn’t have been T’ed up any better for the hitter, hung it big time.

Nicasio is Spanish for suck!

He is a bottom tier ace IMO. He is an ace on a non playoff team, but when you have high aspirations, I think he is a low end ace, or a high end #2. There is zero doubt that Sale, Kluber, Severino, and Verlander are all better than him. Those are all the aces for the AL playoff teams. Pax would rank last among them. If you put him on the Astros he is probably their #4 or #5 starting pitcher. Pax is fine being an ace on a typical M's team that doesn't have playoff aspirations, but not sure he can go head to head with the real aces of the game. As good as he is, he will never be what Felix was in his prime. This rotation needs a big time ace, like what we had with Felix back in his prime.

It really didn't matter how well Pax pitched today or not, the offense didn't show up.

raisethe3

Reaction score
So I learned, Robinson Cano is about to come back from his 80-game suspension on Aug 14th. But what I found out is that, he isn't eligible to play in the post-season! I mean, he already serving his 80 games suspension already?! So any player that is suspended in not eligible to play in the post-season? WTF?!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
raisethe3":q53vc4tx said:
So I learned, Robinson Cano is about to come back from his 80-game suspension on Aug 14th. But what I found out is that, he isn't eligible to play in the post-season! I mean, he already serving his 80 games suspension already?! So any player that is suspended in not eligible to play in the post-season? WTF?!
That is a rule put in place 2-3 yrs ago..It sucks for us of course

raisethe3

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3nbgngq3 said:
raisethe3":3nbgngq3 said:
That is a rule put in place 2-3 yrs ago..It sucks for us of course

Damn, I guess I didn't pay attention then. Thanks.

avengerboater

Reaction score
raisethe3":357d4ymj said:

Yup. Hence, the whole debate/dilemma about how to insert him into the lineup when he comes back. Does he play 2B? If so, does Dee move back to CF and is that fair to Dee who's playing outstanding defensive 2B and have done everything that's been asked of him (playing CF, then switch to 2B)? If Cano doesn't play 2B, does he play 1B cuz we desperately need his bat in the lineup? Is he going to be any good even, without PEDs? Team chemistry, fall-off from this negative situation, fans booing, etc?

Today's game sucked, but looking at the lineup before the game, it was obvious it was gonna suck. Pax had to pitch a perfect game to win it, but he didn't. He tends to have one or two mental lapses a game that usually ends up costing him a few runs. Like someone has mentioned, he is definitely not as dominant as prime-Felix. When Felix was in his prime, you can almost bank on him going 7+ innings giving up 2 runs or less. Heck, he even broke the major league record a few years ago for consecutive quality starts. You knew he could strike ppl out and he was difficult to score against. Pax, not so much.

The M's are regressing a bit lately, not scoring more than a few runs per game and the pitching has failed to keep us in those close games we would have rallied to win like before. Then there's our "vaunted" bullpen which, quite frankly, has been abysmal lately. There is not one name out of that bull pen that would instill confidence besides Diaz and Pazos, maybe Bradford. Nicasio, Vincent, Rumbelow, Colome, Elias all blow.

The Rockies' bullpen is THE worst in the entire LEAGUE in ERA and 4th from last in BAA, and we've been shut out by them in two games. Yea, M's offense is kinda mailing it in early before the All Star Break.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'm going to forget the last couple of losses because of the injuries..
People are talking trade targets and I have a good one..
How about Matt Harvey???LHP on the upswing from TJ surgery a
couple of years ago.
Watched him give Cubs hell for most of the game.Great slider
and FB is anywhere from 93-97.He is not Pax but on our staff a
would be a great #3 in my opinion.
Please GM hope you have been watching this guy!.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Matt Harvey has had a great turnaround in Cinci. Great chance he gets traded. But does he really upgrade the rotation? I see our rotation as having a bunch of #3's. We honestly need a 1A/1B type of pitcher to pair with Pax at the top of the rotation, not another guy to slate in at the #3/#4 spot. We already know Felix isn't going to get moved out of the rotation, so it would likely be LeBlanc. Is adding Harvey and taking out LeBlanc really an upgrade?

The other train of thought is add a starter to eat up innings for Marco and LeBlanc who aren't used to pitching this many innings. Not sure we want all five of our starters throwing near 200 innings before the playoffs.

There are obvious teams that have quality starting pitching and will look to sell. The Rays have some intriguing hard throwing arms in Archer and Eovaldi. Both guys can hit upper 90's and I think could upgrade the rotation.

sutz

Reaction score
Didn't see this posted yet. I haven't read all of it, but have at it.

Cano speaks

Cano was personable as always, contrite when talking about his mistakes, giddy about how the Mariners are playing in his absence and hopeful when talking about a chance to contribute to the team when he's eligible to return on August 14.

The large pictures on the wall stared down ominously at Robinson Cano as he walked into the room, accompanied by Mariners chairman John Stanton.

In “The Legends” conference room in the upper levels of the Mariners’ offices at Safeco Field, photos of the organization’s hall of famers are adorned prominently. It wasn’t that long ago, roughly two months, where it was possible to envision a photo of Cano flashing that high-wattage smile someday joining the likes of Ken Griffey Jr., Edgar Martinez, Dave Niehaus and more on that wall.

“I wanted to meet with you guys before I go home because you are the guys that are always with us at home and on the road,” he said. “For me, it’s very important that I meet with you guys. I wanted to do this earlier. But I don’t want to be a distraction for the team. So I was waiting for the right time.”

His hands shook as he unfolded a piece of paper with typed out words and handwritten notes scribbled in red and black ink.

“I want to read some stuff that I wrote down so I don’t forget,” he said.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... ng-policy/

avengerboater

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2aeikmet said:
Matt Harvey has had a great turnaround in Cinci. Great chance he gets traded. But does he really upgrade the rotation? I see our rotation as having a bunch of #3's. We honestly need a 1A/1B type of pitcher to pair with Pax at the top of the rotation, not another guy to slate in at the #3/#4 spot. We already know Felix isn't going to get moved out of the rotation, so it would likely be LeBlanc. Is adding Harvey and taking out LeBlanc really an upgrade?

The other train of thought is add a starter to eat up innings for Marco and LeBlanc who aren't used to pitching this many innings. Not sure we want all five of our starters throwing near 200 innings before the playoffs.

There are obvious teams that have quality starting pitching and will look to sell. The Rays have some intriguing hard throwing arms in Archer and Eovaldi. Both guys can hit upper 90's and I think could upgrade the rotation.

Rays have been playing better as of late. They're sitting at .500 and they seem to think they can make a run at the 2nd WC. I'd be surprised if they're sellers at the deadline. I'd LOVE to get Archer, but I don't see it happening.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure they will be sellers, this is the Rays we are talking about. They already gave us their closer way before the deadline and they are still 11 GB of the WC and play in the toughest division.

DJrmb

Reaction score
We just don't have the trade chips to go out and aquire an ace pitcher. That's why I think the best way to kind of get similar value is to get an elite level bullpen arm. I get it, an ace starting pitcher is the flashy sexy pickup that would get everyone talking about how good the Mariners will be now etc. However, those guys cost 2 or 3 top 100 prospects (the Mariners only have 1 player in the top 100 and none in the top 50). More than likely they're going to pickup 1 or 2 role player type guys to help in certain specific areas of the game. I don't think it's possible to add a superstar stud ace pitcher or elite bat like Machado.

getnasty

Reaction score
I hope the M's can pick up another starter and go to a 6 man rotation for a little bit, also I don't know who would get the start if somebody got injured but picking another starter up would give them a little insurance as far as that goes too.

sutz

Reaction score
Decent win today. Healy with 5 RBI is pretty impressive. I'm starting to think we have our best 1Bman since Olerud. Let's hope we can hang on to him. He's built more like a true 1bman than Vogelbach. Tall and long, has a good stretch and grab. Was in a slump at the plate for a while, but 18 dingers already is pretty decent power.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
On the Cano thing, he knew what he was doing and got caught. The players are given a list of banned supplements/masking agents before the season. I suspected he was juiced up back when he played for the yanks. He needs to own it. Half hearted apologies don’t cut it my book. Admit you cheated, and move on.

FWIW, I’m a fan of his.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fast Eddie, Cruz, and Haniger made the all star team.

Segura should have, but he’s on the final 5 vote which will be a long shot with a Yankee and redsox also on the final vote.
Best hope is an injury replacement.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":1ohjgcc2 said:
Decent win today. Healy with 5 RBI is pretty impressive. I'm starting to think we have our best 1Bman since Olerud. Let's hope we can hang on to him. He's built more like a true 1bman than Vogelbach. Tall and long, has a good stretch and grab. Was in a slump at the plate for a while, but 18 dingers already is pretty decent power.
Vogelbach is a DH. Dude needs to lose a few lbs if he wants to stick in the bigs. Guy can’t field or run, he’s strictly a hitter that K’s too much.