2016 Present Depth Chart, Roster Moves, Current Cap Position

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I defer to Hawkstorian who for a long while in the past was 'the cap guy' here. I had hoped to keep the reported available cap number somewhat current by using a consistent source like OTC but they're off the pace at present and so I'll note the difference between the sites until OTC catches up. I agree with Jville they're usually the most accurate when they're up to date.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
OTC and Spotrac are good sites to get insight into individual contracts, but they are not very good if you want to know total cap space available. Those two sites tend to miss on a few deals here and there and skew the cap totals.

If you want to know total cap space, this: https://www.nflpa.com/public-salary-cap-report is the place to go. Sometimes it is not updated very quickly which can be a bit frustrating. Baldwin's new contract is not factored in there yet, but once it is I think it will show about $8M availalble.

Willyeye

Reaction score
Just wanted to mention: OTC is not on vacation. OTC must not be very interested in Baldwin's contract. Could it be East Coast bias? OTC updated everything on Andrew Luck and the Colts within 24 hours. They still haven't touched Doug's new contract on their site. Actually kind of weird.

chris98251

Reaction score
Willyeye":2dqncqjv said:
Just wanted to mention: OTC is not on vacation. OTC must not be very interested in Baldwin's contract. Could it be East Coast bias? OTC updated everything on Andrew Luck and the Colts within 24 hours. They still haven't touched Doug's new contract on their site. Actually kind of weird.

Bigger fish to fry, pedestrian receivers are a dime a dozen from their perspective :)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Willyeye":7e2hexuj said:
Yes, question is why are you shocked? Just accept it and roll on.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Good Lord people. Yes Jason is a Jets fan, but he's done a stellar job assembling his league-wide site and suggesting any sort of bias is pretty lame.

NFLPA has updated their figures so I'm pretty confident that Baldwin's 2016 cap figure is $8M, leaving the Seahawks with about $8.5M in available space.

Baldwin's 2016 cap is: $1.6M (Prev Bonus) + $4.M (Roster Bonus) + $1M (2016 Sal) + $1.4M ($7M Bonus over 5 Yrs)

**EDIT**

PFT has an extra $500K in roster bonuses in their article which would put the cap at $8.5M but I have questions about that. I suspect that doesn't start until next year. Also, some sites are assuming the $725 is still on the books but I'm pretty sure it isn't. Factoring those two things in that would put the 2016 cap at over $9M which is what Fieldgulls is reporting but I'm pretty sure that isn't true. Remember, there is no 100% certain "source" for cap figures on the internet just various reports and speculation.

Willyeye

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2s0zwwzl said:
Good Lord people. Yes Jason is a Jets fan, but he's done a stellar job assembling his league-wide site and suggesting any sort of bias is pretty lame.

NFLPA has updated their figures so I'm pretty confident that Baldwin's 2016 cap figure is $8M, leaving the Seahawks with about $8.5M in available space.

Baldwin's 2016 cap is: $1.6M (Prev Bonus) + $4.M (Roster Bonus) + $1M (2016 Sal) + $1.4M ($7M Bonus over 5 Yrs)

**EDIT**

PFT has an extra $500K in roster bonuses in their article which would put the cap at $8.5M but I have questions about that. I suspect that doesn't start until next year. Also, some sites are assuming the $725 is still on the books but I'm pretty sure it isn't. Factoring those two things in that would put the 2016 cap at over $9M which is what Fieldgulls is reporting but I'm pretty sure that isn't true. Remember, there is no 100% certain "source" for cap figures on the internet just various reports and speculation.

Perhaps bias isn't exactly the right word...maybe I should have used a more politically correct term like "unintentional neglect". Sorry about that. You're right...Jason does an awesome job. But unfortunately, he is probably not the only one that works at OTC. And unfortunately, there are many football fans on the East Coast that know NOTHING about teams on the West Coast, and they don't care to learn. There appears to be a pervasive attitude on the East Coast that West Coast athletes and teams are not as important or successful as the ones on the East Coast. Just compare Andrew Luck's 2015 season to Doug Baldwin's...why would AL's new contract get immediate attention, and 5 days later, Baldwin's contract remains strangely ignored. If that contract was also ignored by Spotrac and the NFLPA site, then I wouldn't even have mentioned anything, but what possible reason is there for why Baldwin's contract has not been unpdated on OTC? Maybe it's because Baldwin's passes are thrown to him by a QB who is too short to ever succeed in the NFL...and we already all know how much better AL is.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I have now modified the DC to include players renewed prior to the expiry of their contracts. Baldwin is the only player so far in this category.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
OTC.com finally updated now and says the available cap number is $7,920,724, OP adjusted accordingly. Hawkstorian was closest to the number.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Actual cap space is closer to $8.5M but I haven't dived into OTC figures to decide where they're off. The dude from Fieldgulls finally gets that Baldwin's deal is $8M in 2016. PFT and Spotrac were wrong. OTC has it right.

Jville

Reaction score
So ..... the previous contract"s $4 mil in salary scheduled for 2016 was converted into a rooster bonus. And, the miscellaneous $750K was absorbed into the new $1 million salary for 2016. Interesting. Waiting on Jason at OTC to deliver accuracy over speed is worth it. We have seen this before. Although, when it comes to things Seahawk, we do have the advantage of our own reliable Hawkstorian.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
As I have decided to report the 'available cap' by referring to the OTC.com numbers I will revert to them for consistency, even though it appears the actual number may likely be closer to the $8.5 million number reported by Hawkstorian. In due course, the bonus structure will be clearer and maybe OTC will correct their number. I'm including this available cap number as it gives an idea of what cap is presently available for roster moves and is good to know. This cap stuff is not always readily transparent and the comments herein by our capable cap knowledgeable board members is helpful and appreciated.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The slow period is about to end once TC starts. Then we may see a few roster moves and will beable to see who's who on DC. After camp starts the team usally starts to look at few of the bodies that were here earlier, or guys that are finally healthy otr recently cut, and can be added.

A shameless post to bump the thread up the page.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I appreciate the bump. I have been busy and not able to attend to my duty as a fan of checking out this site too much over the past few days. Retirement is harsh when you go to the mountains for 4 cords of wood.....one for me 3 for him....

Thanks.

Hawks46

Reaction score
So we're mostly done with adding expensive free agents, and factoring in injury additions during the year, we're rolling over between 6 and 7 million to next year ?

I'd have to assume that's good for all the escalating contracts, or give us a decent cushion to pay Bennett.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
It's hard to know how much will roll into 2017 because injuries will eat away at cap space. If we can stay relatively healthy we could save $5-6M. It's just a huge unknown.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The team will recapture the Lynch dead money ($5 mil) and the (edit: Cary) Williams dead money ($2.33 mil) next season so the cushion may be bigger than expected. I wonder if Bennett could be molified for now with a re-jig of his bonus structure allowing the team to redo his deal next off season?

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Cary

Chris Clemons retiring pushes our cap space to about $9.2M and maybe more if they recover the $150K signing bonus.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Chris Clemons to retire

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/7/28/123 ... s-retiring

just added a website rather than the able twitter readers at the other thread here.

The cap consequences of his retirement have been described by Hawkstorian and will be updated once we have more info. I will now adjust the DC even though the retirement hasn't been formalized.