2016 Present Depth Chart, Roster Moves, Current Cap Position

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
In terms of the defensive backs in the above version of the DC, at times the designation CB or S is very fungible and at present some players are listed as CBs who may be safeties and vica versa.

McEvoy is listed as a FS b/c he has WR speed, Browner is shown as a CB but may now be more regularly a S, and Shead is shown as a S but may actually now be playing as a CB, etc.,etc.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Agreed. Those positions seem to be in a rotation finding what best fits our scheme and possibly some new looks that can exploit the offensive side of the opposing team. You may see a lot of sliding players in those 3-4 positions. Also something to look for is the backup positions as we do rotate people in a lot.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
For sure.

It will be very interesting to see which DB players are kept around on the team and the PS. Pn'J are doing a very good job making the pile deeper and deeper. This will naturally engender some predation from the cuts or the PS and the team may wind up losing some talented players but they will ones who didn't win out in the camp competition or still had developmental growth needed to make the team or PS.

Other areas of significant interest are those which are obvious the RBs, the OLine and the SOLB keepers and the 5th and 6th WRs.

One thing that is obvious is this FO has built a considerable amount of highly competitive depth on the roster.

Another thing that usually always happens as well is there will be some roster surprises that happen with the cuts.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Quite interesting that the team seems more settled in terms of tryout type backup players this year.

Normally the team moves guys in and out frequently at this time of the year as they kick tires on various players in their 'interested in pipeline'. There has been less churning to now than has occured in prior years.

There are certainly going to be some interesting roster battles on the interior OLine, DLine, RB, WR, DB, CB, SOLB for a few once camp opens. Too bad that the team may lose some exceptional athletes to the roster limits, but the team will be stronger for the competition that preceeded the cuts. Versatility, ST ability, athleticism, ability to clear waivers, cost, injuries, and just plain developmental potential will be factors the team will consider as difference malking distinctions.

It's truly notable how much this FO has improved the depth, size, toughness, speed and raw physicality of the team since 2010. They are doing it better than it has ever been done here before.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/747882888553631744[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/seahawksPR/status/747882719036608513[/tweet]

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1yb2w65l said:
Quite interesting that the team seems more settled in terms of tryout type backup players this year.

Normally the team moves guys in and out frequently at this time of the year as they kick tires on various players in their 'interested in pipeline'. There has been less churning to now than has occured in prior years.

There are certainly going to be some interesting roster battles on the interior OLine, DLine, RB, WR, DB, CB, SOLB for a few once camp opens. Too bad that the team may lose some exceptional athletes to the roster limits, but the team will be stronger for the competition that preceeded the cuts. Versatility, ST ability, athleticism, ability to clear waivers, cost, injuries, and just plain developmental potential will be factors the team will consider as difference malking distinctions.

It's truly notable how much this FO has improved the depth, size, toughness, speed and raw physicality of the team since 2010. They are doing it better than it has ever been done here before.

It is apparent to me that the backfill of personnel is more depth for competition this year by filling in more of the necessities than rotational personnel. Part of that was the roster tryouts that you speak of. They have stopped with the special educational projects as in changing defensive players to offensive mistakes as they have done in the past. I think we shall probably see more of this style of management of our roster of offensive players staying on offense and being coached up to the standard that our staff can nudge them to be better. Sometimes starting raw is a great thing, but for the past few years we have ended up with raw meat on the plate when all is said and done.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Interesting post, perhaps so. This could have been driven by need and merely represents a FO shift of direction as necessary or even as maturing response to the maturing team roster. Although need looks certainly to be a rational rationale

Somehow though I suspect the almost compulsive obsession over high SPARQ athletic candidates will continue and the team will be always looking for replacement players who are bigger, faster, stronger, smarter replacements as each positional group gets worked over and incrementally improved. I genuinely doubt they won't still keep a couple of high potential low cost 'projects' as those players have in the past paid such high dividends. This FO is hard to line up in terms of truly understanding their direction, and just when you thi nk you might be getting there, they surprise, so you could be right on.

Assessing their roster moves is an interesting and oft changing exercise.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Does anyone know the details of Doug Baldwin's new contract and whether it will affect the cap number this season?

So far there has been no update to the available cap # @ OTC.com and the available cap number remains the same there. I'd expect that to change with Baldwin's deal.

Jville

Reaction score
jammerhawk":s262j7is said:
Does anyone know the details of Doug Baldwin's new contract and whether it will affect the cap number this season?

So far there has been no update to the available cap # @ OTC.com and the available cap number remains the same there. I'd expect that to change with Baldwin's deal.
Doug Baldwin contract details from profootballtalk >>> [urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/29/doug-baldwin-gets-12-million-fully-guaranteed-at-signing/[/urltargetblank]

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks Jville,for posting that link. However, with his old deal added to the new deal it's hard to know what the short term 2016 cap consequence is for the Hawks. In short what portion of the new deal is assumed to be part from the old deal and what difference in cap consequence will the new bonus and salary structure have for 2016? It's tough to calculate w/o further clarification of the numbers.

kidhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1h4dfhbq said:
Thanks Jville,for posting that link. However, with his old deal added to the new deal it's hard to know what the short term 2016 cap consequence is for the Hawks. In short what portion of the new deal is assumed to be part from the old deal and what difference in cap consequence will the new bonus and salary structure have for 2016? It's tough to calculate w/o further clarification of the numbers.

According to the link, he has a base salary of $1 million this season, with a possible $500k roster bonus for the season. He also is receiving a $4 million roster bonus before the season this year, so all in full that comes to $5.5 million. He is also getting a $7 million signing bonus paid next year, and that is spread out over the course of the contract. All in all, his cap number is virtually equal to what it was for this year. Assuming that the numbers portrayed are accurate.

Jville

Reaction score
kidhawk":22extja4 said:
jammerhawk":22extja4 said:

According to the link, he has a base salary of $1 million this season, with a possible $500k roster bonus for the season. He also is receiving a $4 million roster bonus before the season this year, so all in full that comes to $5.5 million. He is also getting a $7 million signing bonus paid next year, and that is spread out over the course of the contract. All in all, his cap number is virtually equal to what it was for this year. Assuming that the numbers portrayed are accurate.

The remaining $1.6 million (out of previous $4.8 million signing bonus) left to be written off against the previous prorated signing bonus will be added to the $5.5 million number which brings it up to a $7.1 million cap number. I am unsure about when the new signing bonus would start since it will not be paid until April 1, 2017. Is the new $7.0 million signing bonus spread out over 5 years or 4 years? If it is prorated over 5 years, the $7.1 million number would increase to $8.5 million. I'm guessing the the new signing number will not be prorated until it is paid. So, I'm assuming the $7.1 million figure.

The 7.1M number minus the $6.32 million 2016 cap number that existed prior to the announced extension results in a cap increase of $0.775 million. So yes ,,,,, not much impact .... assuming the reported structure is accurate.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for your calculations which were quite close to mine and had caused me to wonder if the devil wasn't in the details interms of the 2016 cap hit. Apparently OTC.com must be on vacation and not updating as their site now appears out of date in terms cap & roster info as well.

Greatly appreciate both of your valuable comments. Baldwin's deal looks to be a smart renewal by the team of a player who has clearly earned the right to be renewed and paid well for his valuable contributions to the team.

Jville

Reaction score
Link to Spotrac accounting of Baldwin contract >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/doug-baldwin/[/urltargetblank]

Looks like the new signing bonus is prorated over 5 years and not just the last 4 years. I didn't know what tot do with the $725K other bonuses and spotrac includes that.

So Spotrac calculated Cap hit for 2016 ...... $9.225 million
So that would be an increase in cap / reduction in cap space of just under $3 million.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for that, Spotrac lists the Hawks available cap after this deal at $7,080,839 which is about $2.6 mill less than is reported as available at OTC.com (they are likely not updated yet). So I guess you are right (not that I was doubting you), and the cap hit for Baldwin in 2016 is between $2.5 and $3 Mil more than it was before the new contract.

I'm going to stall updating the cap number on the front page for a while, or may switch to Spotrac.com shortly as they are more current.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
The Spotrac calculation still includes the $725K in LTBE bonus but I don't think that's still on the books so his 2016 cap hit should be $8.5M, which is $2.25M higher than before the extension. The leaves the team with just about $8M in available cap.