2013 Seahawks are Favorites In 14 of 16 Weeks.

formido

Reaction score
Another way to look at this is to understand that Seattle does not, in fact, get Vegas "love". Last year Seattle had the best record in the NFL against the spread, as we are consistently underrated due to low publicity (east coast bias) and not attracting much action. You need to adjust these spreads to account for that in your head. Seattle is going to be a very scary team next year.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NinerLifer":1owdyrue said:
KCHawkGirl":1owdyrue said:
bestfightstory":1owdyrue said:
And here they are. Weeks One through Sixteen

Seattle Seahawks at Carolina Panthers (+3.5)
San Francisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks (-2.5)
Jacksonville Jaguars at Seattle Seahawks (-14)
Seattle Seahawks at Houston Texans (+1)
Seattle Seahawks at Indianapolis Colts (+4)
Tennessee Titans at Seattle Seahawks (-11)
Seattle Seahawks at Arizona Cardinals (+6)
Seattle Seahawks at St. Louis Rams (+4)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Seattle Seahawks (-7)
Seattle Seahawks at Atlanta Falcons (Pick)
Minnesota Vikings at Seattle Seahawks (-6)
BYE
New Orleans Saints at Seattle Seahawks (-3.5)
Seattle Seahawks at San Francisco 49ers (-2.5)
Seattle Seahawks at New York Giants (+1)
Arizona Cardinals at Seattle Seahawks (-8.5)
What is the big deal? It looks like we are dogs in every away game? Is that right?

http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/nfl/ ... oks-cantor

Here you go, this might clear it up a bit. I have never seen the point spreads written out that way as well. The point spread posted NEXT TO THE FAVORED team no matter if they are home or away that week.
Holy Moly!

themunn

Reaction score
the only thing I found funny about the misunderstanding of the spread was that our resident niner fan here thought that we were underdogs in 6 out of 8 road games, a pick in one... and thus the only road game we were favoured in was... against the Niners

way to feel confident in your team bro!

NinerLifer

Reaction score
themunn":1c5wmoc2 said:
the only thing I found funny about the misunderstanding of the spread was that our resident niner fan here thought that we were underdogs in 6 out of 8 road games, a pick in one... and thus the only road game we were favoured in was... against the Niners

way to feel confident in your team bro!

LOL

Trust me, when I read the odds that were originally posted I was like WTF when I saw that.

OP
OP
bestfightstory

bestfightstory

Reaction score
NinerLifer":15ou548u said:
HoustonHawk82":15ou548u said:
As a non-gambler also, I appreciate this thread.

Question: How often are these listings updated throughout the season?

If I remember correctly, they start filling in by tuesday of the following week. Same as the power rankings.

You remember INCORRECTLY.

These lines (point spreads) are fluid. They will adjust on the spot, in real time as individual books receive action (bets) or as injuries, trades, suspensions occur, etc.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Apparently I remember incorrectly. :)

I never look at them until after the injuries happen and the prior week comes to an end after the conclusion of MNF....which is why Tuesday came to mind.

And yes they constantly change pending changes during the week to teams caused by injury reports and so on.

Spokane

Reaction score
This thread is super funny.

I never bet on the odds, but over time picked up that the team that has a - number next to it is the favorite and the team who has the + next to it is the underdog. Is that right?

Some advise for your lifer, there is nothing wrong with being still.

McGruff

Reaction score
NinerLifer":24bhpbw7 said:
Apparently I remember incorrectly. :)

I never look at them until after the injuries happen and the prior week comes to an end after the conclusion of MNF....which is why Tuesday came to mind.

And yes they constantly change pending changes during the week to teams caused by injury reports and so on.
No, they change based on betting trends to ensure Vegas gets bank.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
McGruff":1gw0qukh said:
NinerLifer":1gw0qukh said:
No, they change based on betting trends to ensure Vegas gets bank.
Potato, potahto. One is a function of the other. Perception is reality.

Not that I'm any kind of expert, I was one of the ones who didn't have a clue about reading spreads before I stumbled across this thread.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Vegas is setting the odds to break even, not make bank. They make their money on the rake and odds are set to compensate for bets coming in. A popular team that is as good as Seattle is right now would draw so much betting that it would lower the odds of other teams to make them more attractive to bet on.

Anyone know the odds on the Pats when they were going undefeated? Or the year after they nearly swept?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3hu40i3y said:
NinerLifer":3hu40i3y said:
Maybe I am missing something, but according to your listing of your games you are not favored in 7 of them. Basically all of your away games.

Seattle Seahawks at Carolina Panthers (+3.5)
Seattle Seahawks at Houston Texans (+1)
Seattle Seahawks at Indianapolis Colts (+4)
Seattle Seahawks at Arizona Cardinals (+6)
Seattle Seahawks at St. Louis Rams (+4)
Seattle Seahawks at Atlanta Falcons (Pick)
Seattle Seahawks at New York Giants (+1)

Ladies and gentlemen. I think we have found Largent80's bookie.

In seriousness.... Yah, you are missing something.

:lol:

Largent80 about to get another trip to Tokyo on a straight wager.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
formido":350w7ovx said:
Another way to look at this is to understand that Seattle does not, in fact, get Vegas "love". Last year Seattle had the best record in the NFL against the spread, as we are consistently underrated due to low publicity (east coast bias) and not attracting much action. You need to adjust these spreads to account for that in your head. Seattle is going to be a very scary team next year.

Eh, not necessarily... going 8-0 at home helps any ATS record immensely. Especially when most of the home games were blowouts. I think the only one they didn't cover at home was the Rams game in Week 17.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Hawknballs":z5qbcrtb said:
NinerLifer":z5qbcrtb said:
Maybe I am missing something, but according to your listing of your games you are not favored in 7 of them. Basically all of your away games.

epic-fail-hair-fail1.jpg
OMG I about spit my breakfast!

+1000

formido

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1t7c8h6h said:
formido":1t7c8h6h said:

Eh, not necessarily... going 8-0 at home helps any ATS record immensely. Especially when most of the home games were blowouts. I think the only one they didn't cover at home was the Rams game in Week 17.

Don't follow. Spreads are set taking into account home field advantage. It sounds like you're saying "beating the spread helps with beating the spread immensely" which is a tautology.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
formido":3nzefg52 said:
Hasselbeck":3nzefg52 said:
formido":3nzefg52 said:

Don't follow. Spreads are set taking into account home field advantage. It sounds like you're saying "beating the spread helps with beating the spread immensely" which is a tautology.

No.. basically I'm saying 5 of the 8 home games were blowouts (Vegas rarely sets spreads above 10) and they won the two games they were home dogs (GB and NE). The only game they failed to cover was against St. Louis which had a 9 or 10 point spread, I forget which.. just remember missing it ;) There are 7 of their 11 wins ATS - all home games.

The Colts did the same thing.