2013-14 EPL Season

Uncle Si

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":2o87e47n said:
peachesenregalia":2o87e47n said:
Uncle Si":2o87e47n said:
InSuarezWeTrust":2o87e47n said:
What a match. Can we defend a set piece please? MOTM Has to be Mignolet.

Edit - Arsenal winning actually a pretty good result for Liverpool today.

A fantastic match. Full of drama. Mirallas should have seem red. But its a derby. Too many unearned red cards ruined past matches.

Liverpool's midfield needs to get better if top 4 is ever a goal

Allen has to go. Just not good enough. Also, thought Skrtel could have been better today. Would like to see us pick up a solid wide player and another fullback that can play out on the right, preferrably. This team is so close to being there. Just need to shore up the defense. One clean sheet since September is not good enough.

Allen would be perfect if we had Europa league play. I really want to like him, cause he's Brendan's boy but he just doesn't affect the game positively in any way. Gerrard had a less than average game as well. I thought Lucas played well in the CDM role and protecting our back four. Henderson brings a lot of energy, some decent passes (not this game) and little else.

I don't have the breadth of knowledge about world football, but I feel we need cover for Coutinho and someone who can play the midfield and boss it for 90 minutes. I think our defense while not world class would benefit greatly from a stronger possession based midfield as some of the pressure off our back line. Id like to see some more of Moses and Alberto as well.

For top 4 Liverpool need an attack minded midfielder that can swing wide (think of Mkh or Willian attempts) and a CDM to help Lucas (Mvilla was at the match yesterday). "Possession" isn't nearly as key as shifting the field. You can walk it up like Barcelona, charge it up like Bayern, Arsenal, Real or press the attacking third like Dortmund. Personnel will dictate tactics.

Could use the Greek kid to support the strikers (the role Borini and Aspas have failed thus far) and a new left back. But midfield is the priority

Uncle Si

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":16qsjczt said:
If Suarez had done that, he'd literally be banned the rest of the season. Hypocritical.

Or the Mirallas challenge

cdallan

Reaction score
Uncle Si":126sod1z said:
InSuarezWeTrust":126sod1z said:

A fantastic match. Full of drama. Mirallas should have seem red. But its a derby. Too many unearned red cards ruined past matches.

There are all these signs telling people to kick racism out of football. That's just what Miralles was trying to do.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3r5k3qz6 said:
Yeesh, hard lines, Hawkspur. City are so unreasonably dominant at home, yet so pitifully shite on the road. Reminds you of the Seahawks of old.

Come on wee Cardiff!!

I was busy watching the All Blacks try their hardest to lose for the first time ever to Ireland today so missed the fun at the Etihad. I think I'll give Match of the Day a miss this week as well.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Don't mind me, I'm just sitting here relishing the fact that Arsenal won a tough game, Spurs got obliterated, Liverpool salvaged 1 point, and United dropped 2 in the final minute. Anything else? Oh yes, I'll also be watching this on an endless loop for the next few days:

Tumblr mwqppkuU2h1rr7t27o1 500

That is one of those things that'd be in an instructional video, telling kids how not to play if you're a goalkeeper.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2lkx1ogv said:
Don't mind me, I'm just sitting here relishing the fact that Arsenal won a tough game, Spurs got obliterated, Liverpool salvaged 1 point, and United dropped 2 in the final minute. Anything else? Oh yes, I'll also be watching this on an endless loop for the next few days:

That is one of those things that'd be in an instructional video, telling kids how not to play if you're a goalkeeper.

it wouldnt be in an instructional video... because everyone already knows goalkeepers shouldnt be trying to beat players on the dribble..

oh well, really took the piss out of what should have been a good match. Credit to Arsenal for doing just enough after to preserve the one goal gift. Penalty was iff, but hey, not the worst decision (or non) of the weekend.

Still, no cracks in Southampton. a tough trip regardless. i dont see them dwelling on the loss too long. Still a top 6 at best team for me.

quick update on the +/- from last years fixtures: Arsenal-1, City now +7, United now -8, Chelsea still -4, Spurs somehow still even, Liverpool still +4.

Nice run for Liverpool coming up (At Hull, home to Norwich and West Ham) before at Spurs, home to Cardiff, at City, at Chelsea, then home to Hull. taking 18 of 24 would be a massive grab (16 of 24 great as well) and set the team up nicely for the window, giving them near 40 points at just over the half way point. 73 was 4th last season, and probably all thats needed for it this year.

cdallan

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1a2ii36v said:
cdallan":1a2ii36v said:
Uncle Si":1a2ii36v said:
InSuarezWeTrust":1a2ii36v said:

There are all these signs telling people to kick racism out of football. That's just what Miralles was trying to do.

Awk away and shite....ya bawbag

Hmmm. Probably not going to get back in your good books by admitting I was at Celtic Park for the AC Milan Champions' League match tonight then...

Uncle Si

Reaction score
cdallan":acs1w8ba said:
peachesenregalia":acs1w8ba said:
cdallan":acs1w8ba said:
Uncle Si":acs1w8ba said:

Awk away and shite....ya bawbag

Hmmm. Probably not going to get back in your good books by admitting I was at Celtic Park for the AC Milan Champions' League match tonight then...

lucky... not the best result though. Poor by Celtic last night.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":20pfaazh said:
Gatehawk":20pfaazh said:

it wouldnt be in an instructional video... because everyone already knows goalkeepers shouldnt be trying to beat players on the dribble..

oh well, really took the piss out of what should have been a good match. Credit to Arsenal for doing just enough after to preserve the one goal gift. Penalty was iff, but hey, not the worst decision (or non) of the weekend.

Still, no cracks in Southampton. a tough trip regardless. i dont see them dwelling on the loss too long. Still a top 6 at best team for me.

quick update on the +/- from last years fixtures: Arsenal-1, City now +7, United now -8, Chelsea still -4, Spurs somehow still even, Liverpool still +4.

Nice run for Liverpool coming up (At Hull, home to Norwich and West Ham) before at Spurs, home to Cardiff, at City, at Chelsea, then home to Hull. taking 18 of 24 would be a massive grab (16 of 24 great as well) and set the team up nicely for the window, giving them near 40 points at just over the half way point. 73 was 4th last season, and probably all thats needed for it this year.

Boruc was clearly never told then. It wasn't gonna be a match like the Merseyside Derby was. I felt like it was gonna end up like a struggle for both teams, and in all honesty it was. Arsenal was actually very unlucky to not already have 2 goals prior to that comedy act by the Saints' keeper, having two shots go off that left goal post. Southampton did give Arsenal some pretty good scares throughout that match, it was definitely a match between two of the most consistent defenses in the Premier League(don't say Arsenal aren't, cause they haven't conceded more than 1 goal in all but 1 match in the EPL). That penalty decision was one of those things where everyone will go "That always happens" and it does. Did Mertesacker play it up? Yeah, he kinda did, but Fonte did also have more than a handful of the BFG's shirt in the process and was pulling back as well. It definitely was a boarderline call that surprised me, considering how one sided Clattenberg's decisions were throughout that match.

In the end the difference was who made the bigger mistakes, face it, nothing was bigger than Boruc's idiocy.

The incident involving Suarez, I'm probably in the same boat as everyone who were surprised that it wasn't a red card, I kinda get the feeling Suarez's reputation may have played a part(as stupid as that sounds). Then there was Rooney, essentially that decision was the difference between United dropping 2 points and getting no points, it's obvious to anyone who saw the replay that Rooney intentionally kicked at the feet of the Cardiff player and he should've been sent off.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sturridge out with possible ligament damage... Merry effing Christmas. Coutinho unlikely to start the Hull match as well. Tough start to what needs to be a 9 point roll. I think we're fine st home. Hull away (only lost once albeit to 10 man Palace) is the toughest fixture...

Looks like Glen Johnsons replacement is on his way. Will be a good signing. Good start to the Jan. transfer window

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Liverpool dont have a prayer of winning anything. They have an outside chance of getting 4th but that's the best they can hope for.

No way are they better than Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2e004xht said:
Liverpool dont have a prayer of winning anything. They have an outside chance of getting 4th but that's the best they can hope for.

No way are they better than Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea.

We will know more about all these teams by the end of the month. To make any assertions now is hyperbole at best, nonsense the least.

Liverpool and City have had the biggest improvement on fixtures so far this season. Chelsea is down 7 points now. arsenal still a point. United down 8. Lots to indicate the gaps are closing from last season
I think its city's to lose...after that its open

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":12am50i2 said:
Pure shite.

Yep... Hull away is tough but that was just a horrible performance. Sluggish and slow through midfield. Still if Moses puts his chance away its a different game.

Oh well.. On to two gone fixtures with Norwich and west ham. Need all 6

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
I didn't even see the Liverpool match, but is it safe to assume that it can be summed up by this reaction from Kolo Toure:

Tumblr mx4yfuWO2O1sefjuxo1 500

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3el3yt8z said:
God you're annoying Gate

Apparently anything I do annoys you, I could say I was getting married(which I'm not) and you'd say that's annoying you. I wasn't even trying to mock Liverpool or anything, I was just asking a simple yes or no question.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":18najglt said:
Uncle Si":18najglt said:
God you're annoying Gate

Apparently anything I do annoys you, I could say I was getting married(which I'm not) and you'd say that's annoying you. I wasn't even trying to mock Liverpool or anything, I was just asking a simple yes or no question.

showing a gif of or centerback pounding the ground in frustration after a 3-1 loss and you dont see how thats annoying...

i dont see marriage in your future anytime soon.

anyways, big games today. be interested to see how Everton-United fare and Arsenal at Hull. I see Arsenals midfield doing exactly what Liverpools didnt, and hopefully setting a marker for Rodgers to follow in the Jan market