2013-14 EPL Season

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1rajvrda said:
Hawkspur":1rajvrda said:
Uncle Si":1rajvrda said:
edit: has anyone heard any other transfer info for their clubs? outside of Costa (and maybe the entire Atleti squad) going to Chelsea I havent seen much

It's all quiet on the Spurs front. I presume that Levy is just waiting to see which obscure foreign player over performs against a 'big' team in the World Cup until he goes all in.

It's galling to see Caulker's name pop up. I could kind of understand AVB getting rid of him if he thought he was too slow for his style of defence, but now that AVB is the distant past it's pretty annoying. I hope they were able to include a buy-back or first refusal clause when he left.

Apparently a season with the worst defense in the Prem makes you a wanted commodity? Caulker looks like he could be a great asset to a strong team though.

What do Spurs need at this point? There are rumours that Chadli, Sigurrdson, Soldado and Sandro may be allowed to leave. That cant be right.

Spurs' defense, against decent teams especially , can't have been a lot better.

Yeah, I'm not sure how he compares to most other centrebacks, but I would have rather kept Caulker than Dawson, although I'm sure that with a bit a scouting, better young defenders could be found.

I'd be disappointed if those players were all sold, especially Soldado and Sandro. We could possibly make a profit on Soldado though, which would surely appeal to Levy, if the reports of his £26m fee being made up of about 50% add-ons, most of which being targets that weren't met, are true.

As for who Spurs need... Modric and Bale would be nice!

As with every season, the major need is full-backs, especially a left back. Aside from that, based on last season I would say that we need a right winger as Lennon was truly awful last season, although hopefully Lamela will fill that role. If he does then we probably need to be looking at left wingers. If Soldado and/or Adebayor go we need strikers too. Someone more consistent than them would be nice anyway. Another centreback or two would be lovely as well.

So yeah, most of the team.

It is difficult to say what we need though without having seen how they work in Pochettino's system. Although he's relatively unproven I'm pleased that he got the job. His attacking philosophy fits what Spurs fans expect, and as we saw from Redknapp's Spurs and Liverpool this season, it is nice to watch exciting football, even if it doesn't always go to plan. this philosophy is the polar opposite of AVB's, and as a lot of these players were bought for AVB's system I'm not sure how their skills will translate.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2bkzogbh said:
Coutinho's shite on the wing. Coutinho at the tip, Sterling on the wing.

no doubt about Coutinho as a true winger, but I'd prefer Sterling in the advanced 10 role. again, if we are playing the diamond, those "wings" are very tucked in. this is where Henderson and Lallana would go, Gerrard/Can/Lucas in the 6. Coutinho may find himself sitting a bit with a 4-1-2-1-2.

in the traditional 4-3-3 (4-1-2-3) Coutinho can play the CAM role with Henderson next door, gerrard underneath and Sterling and Suarez as tucked in wingers (like the City matches).

This why Lallana and another winger (Shaqiri, Sanchez) can be so helpful to this team. more flexibility and better options as matches progress. Lambert gives us a philosophical advantage in breaking down teams late on, but also up a goal we can switch to a traditional 4-5-1.

So far so good really.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkspur":3cxnbg5y said:

Yeah, I'm not sure how he compares to most other centrebacks, but I would have rather kept Caulker than Dawson, although I'm sure that with a bit a scouting, better young defenders could be found.

I'd be disappointed if those players were all sold, especially Soldado and Sandro. We could possibly make a profit on Soldado though, which would surely appeal to Levy, if the reports of his £26m fee being made up of about 50% add-ons, most of which being targets that weren't met, are true.

As with every season, the major need is full-backs, especially a left back. Aside from that, based on last season I would say that we need a right winger as Lennon was truly awful last season, although hopefully Lamela will fill that role. If he does then we probably need to be looking at left wingers. If Soldado and/or Adebayor go we need strikers too. Someone more consistent than them would be nice anyway. Another centreback or two would be lovely as well.

It is difficult to say what we need though without having seen how they work in Pochettino's system. Although he's relatively unproven I'm pleased that he got the job. His attacking philosophy fits what Spurs fans expect, and as we saw from Redknapp's Spurs and Liverpool this season, it is nice to watch exciting football, even if it doesn't always go to plan. this philosophy is the polar opposite of AVB's, and as a lot of these players were bought for AVB's system I'm not sure how their skills will translate.

I think you're going to love Pochettino. He reminds me very much of Rodgers and Martinez (as both a philosophy in hire as well as play, infusing a side with an attacking mindset and not afraid to play youth.

Its all speculation at this point. Sandro may be the one who begs off the squad (Ericksen could be ripe to head off to a CL team should one find him worth a bid). Soldado may need to just go back to Spain. so many youthful attacking players available right now it would be shame to start a season with Soldado and Adebayor as your attacking options with the likes of Lukaku, Bony, Iago Aspas (just kidding, but you can have him) apparently available.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Uncle Si":gbarkw3p said:
Hawkspur":gbarkw3p said:

I think you're going to love Pochettino. He reminds me very much of Rodgers and Martinez (as both a philosophy in hire as well as play, infusing a side with an attacking mindset and not afraid to play youth.

Its all speculation at this point. Sandro may be the one who begs off the squad (Ericksen could be ripe to head off to a CL team should one find him worth a bid). Soldado may need to just go back to Spain. so many youthful attacking players available right now it would be shame to start a season with Soldado and Adebayor as your attacking options with the likes of Lukaku, Bony, Iago Aspas (just kidding, but you can have him) apparently available.

You guys need a left back... swap you Aspas for Rose.

I'd love Lukaku or Bony. I doubt Chelsea would sell Lukaku to us, though.

Smurf

Reaction score
Arsenal have waived their right of first choice to buy Cesc Fabregas back from Barca...

Word now is that he is going to sign for Chelsea. Odd choice from Arsenal IMO. Cesc does nothing but add quality to the team.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkspur":1xvhpfhn said:
Uncle Si":1xvhpfhn said:
Hawkspur":1xvhpfhn said:

You guys need a left back... swap you Aspas for Rose.

I'd love Lukaku or Bony. I doubt Chelsea would sell Lukaku to us, though.

left back is sorted.... Alberto Moreno from Sevilla. Due to be finalized early next week.

Chelsea's going to have to do something with Lukaku. if they are indeed getting Costa that leaves no room for a player who just played an entire EPL season and will star in the World Cup. he will want games somewhere.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Manchester United have announced their away European fixtures for the 2014-15 season

@ Swansea

(thank you and goodnight!)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":2xjonw9t said:
Arsenal have waived their right of first choice to buy Cesc Fabregas back from Barca...

Word now is that he is going to sign for Chelsea. Odd choice from Arsenal IMO. Cesc does nothing but add quality to the team.

he adds another CM at 35 million.

I still dont believe they have waived any rights (nor do i believe they had first right of refusal, SSN would not have such intimate details)

But... I dont think they need him either. Arsenal's priority has to be a replacement for Sagna and a striker to support Giroud.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":39015yrc said:
MB12":39015yrc said:
Uncle Si":39015yrc said:
Great idea Spur... Idea of what those teams would like? I don't think I could do a good Italian team? (French instead?)

You are right, the Italian All-Stars would be pretty bad, and would be made-up predominantly of Juve players. I could see them playing a form of Catenaccio , and ruining the tournament!

I guess La Liga, despite Atleti's league win, would have a team dominated by Barça and Real.

anyone interested in putting something like this together... to pass the time before World Cup?

Pick a league. Top XI from:

Italy
England (probably already have this earlier in the thread)
Spain
France
Germany
Celtic.. I mean Scotland.

Smurf can do the MLS.

Challenge accepted! Here is the Best XI and 7 man bench for MLS:

GK: Nick Rimando - Real Salt Lake
RB: DeAndre Yedlin - Seattle Sounders
CB: Omar Gonzalez - LA Galaxy
CB: Matt Besler - Sporting KC
LB: Jair Benitez - FC Dallas
RM: Graham Zusi - Sporting KC
CM: Osvaldo Alonso - Seattle SOunders
CM: Michael Bradley - Toronto FC
LM: Justin Mapp - Montreal Impact
ST: Robbie Keane - LA Galaxy
ST: Clint Dempsey - Seattle Sounders

Bench:
GK: Tally Hall - Houston Dynamo
D: Victor Bernardez - San Jose Earthquakes
D: Chance Myers - Sporting KC
M: Kyle Beckerman - Real Salt Lake
M: Brad Davis - Houston Dynamo
M: Frederico Higuain - Columbus Crew
ST: Chris Wondolowski - San Jose Earthquakes

Honorable mentions:
CB: Chad Marshall - Seattle Sounders
CB: Aurelien Collin - Sporting KC
RB: Sean Franklin - DC United
RB: Michael Parkhurst - Columbus Crew
LB: Justin Morrow - Toronto FC
LM: Diego Valeri - Portland Timbers
RM: Darlington Nagbe - Portland Timbers
CM: Juninho - LA Galaxy
CM: Patrice Bernier - Montreal Impact
ST: Alvaro Saborio - Real Salt Lake
ST: Obafemi Martins - Seattle Sounders
Utility: Brad Evans - Seattle Sounders

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3hx767b9 said:
Smurf":3hx767b9 said:

he adds another CM at 35 million.

I still dont believe they have waived any rights (nor do i believe they had first right of refusal, SSN would not have such intimate details)

But... I dont think they need him either. Arsenal's priority has to be a replacement for Sagna and a striker to support Giroud.

Agreed on the needs.

Arsenal have Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil, Arteta and co in the middle. They have enough quality there to pass on Cesc.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":14kivajm said:

came on to post the same thing

Replaced Lampard (and Mata).

Strange for him. Barca was his dream move, and he seemed to relinquish quite easily when it mattered.

Will be very interesting to see him at Chelsea. I questioned the move as I didnt see him as much different than Mata. Some Arsenal friends of mine disagreed. he's quicker moving forward, isnt afraid of contact and doesnt mind defending.

Quite the midfield they have (with Matic now eligible for all competitions). Add Costa up top and they're quite the force. Still dont trust Jose to let them play to their full attacking potential (nothing against him, its just not his style of play), but Costa-Hazard-Willian-Fabregas-Hazard with a smattering of whatever Torres/Lukaku other forward they add is a formidable front

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1f6516ei said:
Bacary Sagna is jumping from Arsenal to Man City.

http://www.espnfc.com/story/1877074/man ... om-arsenal

Time for Gate to come in and tell us all how Sagna is a vile traitor who's only interested in money now that he's no longer at the Emirates.

Well I'm not sure Arsenal had much interest in resigning him. Gate would no more. Although i'm sure their lack of interest is directly linked to his wage demands. they've been actively working on his replacement (Serge Auerier) for some time. Looks a talent.

Its a good move for City, as they've let Micah Richards walk.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":gilgshl9 said:
SeatownJay":gilgshl9 said:

Time for Gate to come in and tell us all how Sagna is a vile traitor who's only interested in money now that he's no longer at the Emirates.

Well I'm not sure Arsenal had much interest in resigning him. Gate would no more. Although i'm sure their lack of interest is directly linked to his wage demands. they've been actively working on his replacement (Serge Auerier) for some time. Looks a talent.

According to the article, Arsenal offered him a two-year extension and he turned it down.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":11fnkg5m said:
Uncle Si":11fnkg5m said:
SeatownJay":11fnkg5m said:

According to the article, Arsenal offered him a two-year extension and he turned it down.

ahh...well then. wages or titles?

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2t7hwn8k said:

I'm less pissed off with Sagna leaving for City than I am at Cesc. Let me put this into perspective, when Cesc was confirmed to that cancer's club, I refused to even look at the color blue cause it was gonna send me into a fit of rage. Sagna, I don't hate him, I hate his choice. I'm grateful that he at least stuck around to help Arsenal end their drought, but I still wish he could've at least went somewhere other than City.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2k2q6vfl said:
The 2014-15 Fixtures are out. Man City get to run a gauntlet to start their title defense. Having to play Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea in a 4 week span.

The North London Derby and Merseyside Derby will highlight the September 27th fixtures.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news ... eased.html

well United's made a deal with Satan himself for that fixture list to start their season...

Home to Swansea
@ Sunderland
@ Burnley
Home to QPR
@ Leiscter
Home to West Ham
Home to Everton
@ WBA

will be an invigorating start for them... dont pity their Spring though.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2h4l0kki said:
Gatehawk":2h4l0kki said:
The 2014-15 Fixtures are out. Man City get to run a gauntlet to start their title defense. Having to play Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea in a 4 week span.

The North London Derby and Merseyside Derby will highlight the September 27th fixtures.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news ... eased.html

well United's made a deal with Satan himself for that fixture list to start their season...

Home to Swansea
@ Sunderland
@ Burnley
Home to QPR
@ Leiscter
Home to West Ham
Home to Everton
@ WBA

will be an invigorating start for them... dont pity their Spring though.

United seemed to have gotten Arsenal's luck from last season with the schedule.