2013-14 EPL Season

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":sccjrzeu said:
InSuarezWeTrust":sccjrzeu said:
1-3 LFC. Suarez with 2 and a Sahko header from a corner.

That's being highly optimistic. Only Aston Villa has scored multiple goals on Arsenal in the EPL this year, and two of their goals came off penalties. If Liverpool do score, Suarez or Sturridge will likely be the one to do so. I'd say a draw or Arsenal win is the likely outcome. Liverpool have been playing that 3 man back line and with players like Ozil and the in form Ramsey, Liverpool will be playing with fire all game.

Its three center backs and two wing back defenders. Each wb is responsible for the balance when the ball is on the other side of the field. Its always 4 and often 5 defender's.. But hey, simple tactics shouldn't trip anyone up.

A draw here would be a nice result for Liverpool. I see us scoring. Hopefully we score enough

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Oh well... Take your chances better and grab a point. Atkinson blew the Liverpool goal. Ramsey's was a dagger

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
All week, all I heard from the media was how SAS would carve up the Arsenal defense and yet they got nothing. Arsenal win and thanks to Newcastle stunning Chelsea, Arsenal are now 5 points clear at the top heading into next week's match at Old Trafford.

To be honest, I didn't see the match due to work, still am at work as I type this, all I have to go on is by what I've read on twitter.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":10biyi76 said:
All week, all I heard from the media was how SAS would carve up the Arsenal defense and yet they got nothing. Arsenal win and thanks to Newcastle stunning Chelsea, Arsenal are now 5 points clear at the top heading into next week's match at Old Trafford.

To be honest, I didn't see the match due to work, still am at work as I type this, all I have to go on is by what I've read on twitter.

Goal disallowed that should have stood and Suarez missed 4-5 golden chances including striking the post.

Since you didn't watch it I'd think taking the 3 points without assumptive comments wou...

Oh wait, its Gate.

Arsenal held their home. Long way to go before anything is settled though

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":bun4eaz2 said:
Gatehawk":bun4eaz2 said:

Goal disallowed that should have stood and Suarez missed 4-5 golden chances including striking the post.

Since you didn't watch it I'd think taking the 3 points without assumptive comments wou...

Oh wait, its Gate.

I just went by what I've read, when I am able to watch the full match I'll have a better idea on what happened.

I have seen the highlights(can't really have an opinion on the whole match based on that) and about that disallowed goal, you mean the one where every Arsenal player stopped when the ref pulled play back? You're probably right the ref shouldn't have halted play there, but there isn't a guarantee you still would've scored if everyone kept playing.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":3kkd3nwe said:
Uncle Si":3kkd3nwe said:
Gatehawk":3kkd3nwe said:

Oh wait, its Gate.

I just went by what I've read, when I am able to watch the full match I'll have a better idea on what happened.

I have seen the highlights(can't really have an opinion on the whole match based on that) and about that disallowed goal, you mean the one where every Arsenal player stopped when the ref pulled play back? You're probably right the ref shouldn't have halted play there, but there isn't a guarantee you still would've scored if everyone kept playing.

Nope. No guarantee. Still was clean through. Whistle never should have blown.

Either way. Game went as I thought.we were hard pressed in the mid (but played better than I thought) and found chances to score. We just didn't take them.

Arsenal did. All credit to Ramsey. Shame on Toure for not stepping.

2-1 would have been fair. We needed to be better for a draw

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":49ksizmo said:

Either way. Game went as I thought.we were hard pressed in the mid (but played better than I thought) and found chances to score. We just didn't take them.

I thought it was gonna be 3-1 to Arsenal, like 2-1 late and then with Liverpool desperately trying to get that tying goal get caught on the counter and Arsenal got a 3rd, that didn't happen, but Arsenal won so I'm not upset about being wrong on that front.

It's probably also fitting that Kolo Toure was the one that "should've done more" on the Ramsey goal, namely after the comments earlier in the week that he was gonna prove that Arsenal were wrong to let him go.

I think this game actually showed that Liverpool aren't as good as everyone thought they were, I'm not saying they aren't good, but it's too blatantly obvious that they are extremely reliant on SAS, and in that match, they were kept off the board. They might(and I actually hope they will) be in contention for a Top 4 finish, but they just don't have enough to challenge for the title in my mind.

I could be proven wrong, but they need to start spreading the wealth more. For example, Liverpool only have 4 different players score in the EPL in the first 10 matches, City have 7, Chelsea has 10(8 of which only have a single goal) and Arsenal have 10 too(5 of which have at least 2 goals). Liverpool are either gonna have to go back and get another scorer they can rely on(and hope Suarez is still there after January) or start to spreading the goal scoring burden, cause unless SAS both score 20-30 goals each, there isn't any way they can challenge for the title.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Something that I want to point out, that I believe is impressive to say the least, and I know some of you are gonna rip me about it. But Arsenal have posted a better first 10 games than they have in the 3 seasons in which they've won the Premier League title, including 10 years ago when the Invincibles ruled the league.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":1df88qky said:
Uncle Si":1df88qky said:

I thought it was gonna be 3-1 to Arsenal, like 2-1 late and then with Liverpool desperately trying to get that tying goal get caught on the counter and Arsenal got a 3rd, that didn't happen, but Arsenal won so I'm not upset about being wrong on that front.

It's probably also fitting that Kolo Toure was the one that "should've done more" on the Ramsey goal, namely after the comments earlier in the week that he was gonna prove that Arsenal were wrong to let him go.

I think this game actually showed that Liverpool aren't as good as everyone thought they were, I'm not saying they aren't good, but it's too blatantly obvious that they are extremely reliant on SAS, and in that match, they were kept off the board. They might(and I actually hope they will) be in contention for a Top 4 finish, but they just don't have enough to challenge for the title in my mind.

I could be proven wrong, but they need to start spreading the wealth more. For example, Liverpool only have 4 different players score in the EPL in the first 10 matches, City have 7, Chelsea has 10(8 of which only have a single goal) and Arsenal have 10 too(5 of which have at least 2 goals). Liverpool are either gonna have to go back and get another scorer they can rely on(and hope Suarez is still there after January) or start to spreading the goal scoring burden, cause unless SAS both score 20-30 goals each, there isn't any way they can challenge for the title.

You cant help youself can you Gate... Liverpools exactly what everyone thought they were, so not sure of your comment there. Arsenal are getting surprise starts from the likes of Ramsey. It takes an imagination to assume his form continues. if it wains, does Arsenal have the balance to remain at the top of the table? I know talking actual tactics and such with you goes nowhere, so this will be for the board.

Arsenal will need to start getting scoring from their strikers or they wont challenge for the title either. Hyperbole is the norm when it comes to assessing one game in the PL. too easy to start making blanket statements on the backs of one game.

Now, as for your stats, lets walk that back a bit. this is where understanding what is happening in the field goes alot further than just the results. Chelsea has got two goals from the striker position. Arsenal have got 4. Liverpool has two goals from the midfield (missing Coutinho), rest from SAS.

In looking at balance, there isnt any with the top 3 teams (Tottenham is worse, with only 3 goals from the striker position, all from the spot). imbalance will really impact these clubs as they progress through the season. This is the PL, and now that we are 10 games in, PL opponents will start gameplanning these away. the second time through the schedule will look a lot different than the first.

So Saturday was really a test to see whose imbalance would beat the others. on the day, the Arsenal midfield outplayed the Liverpool one, and while SAS had their chances, they werent taken. not much more can be taken from the game, try as you might. Arsenal are 5 points clear... in November. and while its the nice story of the early season, it would take quite a bit of confidence to assume Arsenal's midfield and one striker will be atop the table by January.

where liverpool is will be based on the integration of Coutinho back into the midfield. It was obvious Gate wasnt aware of the difference between a 5-3-2 and "three defenders". either way, it was a poor choice lineup impacted alot by Enrique, Johnson and Coutinho being unavailable. Lucas Gerrard and Henderson can't operate in a wingback system without more advanced play from the outside backs. they need those advanced targets to relieve pressure in the middle. Cissokho and Flanagan were never going to bring this on, so why Rodgers stayed with it is something only he can ask. Personally I thought it was a mistake.

I imagine we are back to the 4-3-3 come Fulham, with Moses out wide with Suarez. i think that lineup will be one of the better ones in the PL.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
So David Moyes admitted he had the opportunity to sign Mesut Ozil but passed it up because they were "looking in other areas". You know it's statements like that, that would make you seem like a complete moron when the end result of your transfer window was buying a player, who clear as a blue sky isn't the best available, in that area of the field anyways(Marouane Fellaini).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":1mrl4dmt said:
So David Moyes admitted he had the opportunity to sign Mesut Ozil but passed it up because they were "looking in other areas". You know it's statements like that, that would make you seem like a complete moron when the end result of your transfer window was buying a player, who clear as a blue sky isn't the best available, in that area of the field anyways(Marouane Fellaini).

Moyes stepped in it a bit there. But he's protecting the United board who wouldn't give him the 45 million as well as affirming his trust in Fellaini. 10 games in is a little early to claim a winner. But Ozil has been very good for Arsenal.

Arsenals success at the moment is the dramatic form of Ramsey though. That can't be argued.

Liverpool back to form this morning. Back in a 433. Agger, Coutinho, and Johnson back. Very good game and second place alone. Good response

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1u1tz9r9 said:
Gatehawk":1u1tz9r9 said:

Moyes stepped in it a bit there. But he's protecting the United board who wouldn't give him the 45 million as well as affirming his trust in Fellaini. 10 games in is a little early to claim a winner. But Ozil has been very good for Arsenal.

Arsenals success at the moment is the dramatic form of Ramsey though. That can't be argued.

Liverpool back to form this morning. Back in a 433. Agger, Coutinho, and Johnson back. Very good game and second place alone. Good response

It's easy to say Arsenal's form is because of Ramsey's form, but if you think about it, you also have to look at players like Giroud, Wilshere, Koscielny and Mertesacker(to name a couple), all of whom have played pivotal roles in most of Arsenal's wins this season. Giroud and Ramsey actually have been involved in 19 of Arsenal's 22 league goals this season. With the injuries Arsenal have suffered this season, it's taken a real team effort to maintain the form they've had, but with the way Ramsey's been playing he's gonna get the most attention from everyone watching.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hard luck Gate. Arsenal really couldn't get going today but still looked dangerous enough to draw...

United looked the team we thought they would be....for 25 minutes. The rest of the match was the Red Devils sitting in and defending like Stoke City in January. They were feverish early but once they got the goal fave up chunks of field and possession to Arsenal and seemed content to defend 35 yards from goal.

While it worked it seemed more a result of a subdued Arsenal side rather than a stalwart defensive effort.

Good matchups after international duty

Smurf

Reaction score
*gloat gloat gloat gloat*

Having said that, United have nearly no shot at winning the title. I don't have a lot of confidence in that squad.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":34l7xbeu said:
Hard luck Gate. Arsenal really couldn't get going today but still looked dangerous enough to draw...

United looked the team we thought they would be....for 25 minutes. The rest of the match was the Red Devils sitting in and defending like Stoke City in January. They were feverish early but once they got the goal fave up chunks of field and possession to Arsenal and seemed content to defend 35 yards from goal.

While it worked it seemed more a result of a subdued Arsenal side rather than a stalwart defensive effort.

Good matchups after international duty

Neither side looked like they deserved to win. United's goal was more fluke than skill since it looked to have gone off that bastard's shoulder. I'm more annoyed at the fact that that douche claimed he would never celebrate scoring against Arsenal, then proceeded to do exactly that today.

Arsenal just looked mentally and physically exhausted, you can definitely tell who put more effort into their midweek CL match from that. The same thing happened last month before the International Break, Arsenal crawled to a 1-1 draw against West Brom, this time, too much was taken out of them in the match against Dortmund. Of course the Gunners weren't helped with Mertesacker and Rosicky being sent home sick prior to the game, you throw that onto the missing wounded and it finally caught up to them. Hopefully after the break we get some of the injured back, if Walcott doesn't return then something is seriously bad is wrong with his injury.

What's really stupid is that there will be some that now think United can challenge for the title because of a slightly better performance than their opponents and Arsenal aren't title worthy(completely forgetting the other 2 results they've had in the past week) because of a fatigued and poor performance.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Yeah... No credit the the defending champs.

Sigh....

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":dtqvz9uc said:

Sigh....

I said they were slightly better than Arsenal today. You yourself said they were good for the first 25 minutes. United weren't that amazing today, but neither were Arsenal, United just did enough to win.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2lpvxcvm said:
Uncle Si":2lpvxcvm said:

Sigh....

I said they were slightly better than Arsenal today. You yourself said they were good for the first 25 minutes. United weren't that amazing today, but neither were Arsenal, United just did enough to win.

this is exactly right. no excuses

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I found this earlier this morning and find it really interesting. Puts in perspective the league standings as they are, and truly where teams are in terms of progress. Standings in the PL really mean f--- all until late on as the fixture list is so dynamically different for each team... discuss....

Basically this is top 8 and how they have fared this season against the same fixtures as last season (with the point differential)... discuss

Team Pl 12/13 13/14 P+/-
Man City 11 16 19 +3
Man U 11 28 20 -8
Spurs 11 18 20 +2
Arsenal 11 26 25 -1
Chelsea 11 26 21 -5
Liverpool 11 19 23 +4
Everton 11 19 20 +1
Soton 11 8 22 +14

Interesting really... United's win may have staved off a complete drop, but they are still -8 in points in corresponding fixtures from last year (they beat Arsenal in the match last season at OT). Spurs, for all their failures to adapt to the new players and loss of Bale are still +2 from the same fixtures last season. Arsenal, for all the media hype, is actually -1 in point total amassed from the same set of fixtures last season.

(can we acknowledge my Soton call please... i'm a damn genius)

As the season progresses i feel like this massively interesting to see which teams are truly making progress from last season and who is not. How it matters in the overall standings wont be known obviously, but it does show a detailed account of "improvements" and "declines"

Latest posts