2009 Draft Revisited

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Wow...what an abysmal draft!

1 Aaron Curry LB -- released by Giants this weekend
2 Max Unger C -- All Pro stud
3 Deon Butler WR -- released by Chargers this weekend
6 Mike Teel QB -- out of football, never played a down in regular season
7 Courtney Greene S -- out of football; played 30 regular season games with Jaguars 2009-2011
7 Nick Reed DE -- out of football; played 26 regular season games with Seahawks, Bears and Bucs 2009-1011; joined the Air Force
7 Cameron Morrah TE -- recently signed by Lions; 16 regular season receptions 2009-2011 with Seahawks

Kixkahn

Reaction score
You can't truly dis the guy joining the air force.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2kgvhmxo said:
Unger is really the lone bright spot. But since all-pro Centers are hard to find, I'll call it a wash. Was that not also the draft that netted us the 1st round pick from Denver that became Earl Thomas? Not all bad, when you really think about it.

Yep - Unger alone salvages it to an extent ... but interesting to see where all of the other picks are these days.

C-Dub

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1rvss06j said:
Unger is really the lone bright spot. But since all-pro Centers are hard to find, I'll call it a wash. Was that not also the draft that netted us the 1st round pick from Denver that became Earl Thomas? Not all bad, when you really think about it.
Don't think so. Think we traded a 2nd for the next year's first.

Edit
Here we go: http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlesports ... r-in-2010/

McGruff

Reaction score
that whole draft was horrible IIRC. Fishing for turds in a barrel.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
McGruff":29bhtuop said:
that whole draft was horrible IIRC. Fishing for turds in a barrel.

The most amazing thing is...that was 2009! The difference in this team, across the board, in just the last 4 years is unreal.

themunn

Reaction score
2009 draft essentially netted us Unger and Thomas.
I'll take that. Did anyone have a good 2009 draft?

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
themunn":1zoeu064 said:

The problem is...Earl Thomas was a pick by Pete and John. Ruskell would have screwed that one up too.

Eagles had a good draft in 2009. Cincinnati and Green Bay also.

pehawk

Reaction score
Ruskell would've taken the oddly feminine (not that there's anything wrong with that) Taylor Mays.

themunn

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3ced9nfj said:
themunn":3ced9nfj said:

The problem is...Earl Thomas was a pick by Pete and John. Ruskell would have screwed that one up too.

Probably, but any time you can trade a 2nd round pick for a 1st is a good move.
Ruskell would probably have messed it up too, but the 2010 draft was pretty deep with talent at the top, so although he might not have picked Thomas, there were a lot of quality players to choose from, surely even HE couldn't have missed (13 pro bowlers in first 22 picks, and among the remaining 9 are players like Anthony Davis, Joe Haden & Sean Weatherspoon, who are quality contributors for their team.

It's unlikely that Ruskell actually had the foresight to think that's what he was getting when he traded away the 2nd round pick, but it's still a fantastic deal none-the-less, and one I would congratulate John and Pete for doing any year also.

kornd4wg93

Reaction score
I remember being excited about the first 3 guys. :?

The only reservation I had was that we should have taken Sanchez :?

Thank god there's a rookie cap now :)

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
themunn":wrn6ow0s said:
FlyingGreg":wrn6ow0s said:
themunn":wrn6ow0s said:

Probably, but any time you can trade a 2nd round pick for a 1st is a good move.
Ruskell would probably have messed it up too, but the 2010 draft was pretty deep with talent at the top, so although he might not have picked Thomas, there were a lot of quality players to choose from, surely even HE couldn't have missed (13 pro bowlers in first 22 picks, and among the remaining 9 are players like Anthony Davis, Joe Haden & Sean Weatherspoon, who are quality contributors for their team.

It's unlikely that Ruskell actually had the foresight to think that's what he was getting when he traded away the 2nd round pick, but it's still a fantastic deal none-the-less, and one I would congratulate John and Pete for doing any year also.

Ruskell would have taken Rolando McClain. Or Derrick Morgan. (Who I admit I wanted us to draft.)

themunn

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":it2nsm66 said:
Ruskell would have taken Rolando McClain. Or Derrick Morgan. (Who I admit I wanted us to draft.)

Rolando McClain is the anti-Ruskell pick. Russell Okung fits the bill of everything that Ruskell would have gone for, and McClain was gone by 14, honestly, once you look at the guys available at 14, Thomas is the most "Ruskell" like player available, so I wouldn't have been surprised if he took him. The first half of that draft basically picked itself, Tackle and Safety were our most pressing needs going in, I'm still surprised nobody traded above us for the players we took

There's no way we'd have got players like Tate or Chancellor though with Ruskell at the helm.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
themunn":28i4p7af said:
There's no way we'd have got players like Tate or Chancellor though with Ruskell at the helm.

Tate is small enough; Ruskell might have picked him. :D

themunn

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":3lgj52uw said:
themunn":3lgj52uw said:

Tate is small enough; Ruskell might have picked him. :D

Whilst it raised a chuckle, the idea of Ruskell picking a player that wasn't "pro-ready" is not something I can easily fathom

Latest posts