$20 million plus for Clowney

ivotuk

Reaction score
I wonder if we might get Clowney for a decent price? Here's a blurb that gives an idea of what outsiders think of JaDeveon.

No, the Cowboys have to produce in 2020 and if they lose Quinn, they are back to searching for answers.

That answer is not Jadeveon Clowney, the former Seahawk who produced all of three sacks in 2019. Clowney has gained a lot of intrigue among Cowboys fans on social media but the proof of production is not there. Plus, if they are not able to afford Quinn, they are certainly not in line to pay Clowney’s inflated asking price.

So, what can they afford to do? Take a chance on a player like Vic Beasley, who just might need a change of scenery. Right now, Beasley’s market value, according to Spotrac, is around three years, $22.1 million, an average of $7.4 million per year. That’s certainly within range and less than what the Cowboys gave Robert Quinn in 2019. The Cowboys’ first choice is to obviously retain Quinn but Vic Beasley could be a nice consolation prize if they can’t.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2020/2/ ... rth-a-look

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Dallas could be considered a competitive team and if they are one less bidder in the Clowney sweepstakes that is a good thing.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I don’t think the hawks should spend anymore than 15 per year for him. I don’t think he’s that much of a game changer. He also seems he will go to the highest bidder. So hopefully it’s not us.

Also he is injured every year. 20 plus mil for 10-13 games is way to much. Would rather spend that money getting 2-3 defensive players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HawkStrong

Reaction score
12thmanNY":5f9qmsay said:
I don’t think the hawks should spend anymore than 15 per year for him. I don’t think he’s that much of a game changer. He also seems he will go to the highest bidder. So hopefully it’s not us.

Also he is injured every year. 20 plus mil for 10-13 games is way to much. Would rather spend that money getting 2-3 defensive players.

Even if those 2-3 players are nowhere near as effective?

BASF

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":48sie8ql said:
He hasn't missed NEARLY as many games as people make it out to be.

Definitely accurate, however there is something to be said for how many times he has played at about 80% of effectiveness because he has had a lot of nagging injuries that do not take you out of the lineup, but effects your play.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
12thmanNY":3gl26xb6 said:

That's how many games Clowney played in the past four years. His injury proneness has been greatly exaggerated.

And it's sad that even though Clowney was fighting through a very serious injury down the stretch and in the playoffs, that he was STILL by far our most effective defender. Makes the case for trying to keep him even stronger, because the line sucked with him, can't imagine how bad it'll be if we don't resign him.......or get one of the other top D-line free agents.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Total team guy who put the team before his injury. We have no idea how much pain he was playing thru. Many players in the league would have just collected their $ and had surgery done. He gained a lot of respect with his teammates, guaranteed.

Tical21

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":iiy8l1tq said:
Total team guy who put the team before his injury. We have no idea how much pain he was playing thru. Many players in the league would have just collected their $ and had surgery done. He gained a lot of respect with his teammates, guaranteed.
I view this totally differently. The team move, when we were 7-2, would have been to shut it down, immediately get the surgery, and be 100% for the playoffs. This was recommended by the doctors. But he didn't want to go into a contract year having only played half of a season and having 2 sacks or whatever he was at, so he instead decided to kind of play through it, giving us a completely ineffective player down the stretch.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":1pnmiyg9 said:
SoulfishHawk":1pnmiyg9 said:
I view this totally differently. The team move, when we were 7-2, would have been to shut it down, immediately get the surgery, and be 100% for the playoffs. This was recommended by the doctors. But he didn't want to go into a contract year having only played half of a season and having 2 sacks or whatever he was at, so he instead decided to kind of play through it, giving us a completely ineffective player down the stretch.

I can see why Clowney chose to play, and I don't hold it against him.

Him being at 70-80% certainly wasn't the reason we lost to GB and didn't advance. He was still the most effective defender on the field.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Sadly, I have a feeling he ends up with the Colts next season. They have a TON of cap space, and he can also stick it to his former team twice per year.

AgentDib

Reaction score
One of the reasons why this issue is so complicated is that the offenses get to decide what plays they run and where the football goes.

Clowney played every snap on Green Bay's first drive where they marched the ball down the field for a TD. He had one huge play on 2nd and 3 from our own 13 where he blew up Jones in the backfield for a four yard loss and a resulting 3rd and 7. On the other seven plays he seemingly made zero impact with no tackles, pressures, or even hurries. However, if you look more closely at those seven plays you will see the following:

1) Two were runs to the opposite side of the field from Clowney.

2) Two were pass attempts were Rodgers immediately scrambled out of the pocket towards the sideline and then threw the ball.

3) Two were completed passes where Rodgers started in the shotgun and took a further seven step drop and released the ball immediately from deep behind the line of scrimmage. This is not a play that the defensive line can impact other than knocking down the pass.

4) One was a run up the middle. Clowney was lined up on the far left and did not crash inside to make the tackle, but from the film it looks like he was clearly tasked with keeping edge contain on the play. Bobby Wagner made the tackle after 2 yards.

In my view it's a very shallow take to say Clowney wasn't effective on that drive. Rather, his presence heavily influenced the Packers play calling and the rest of our defense wasn't quite good enough to respond. It's analogous in my view to when Sherman wasn't getting many statistics later on in his career here because teams were simply ignoring his side of the field. Our problem was not lack of production from Clowney, but rather not having enough players like Clowney that could cause the opposing offense problems.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
AgentDib":bpn8edrq said:
Our problem was not lack of production from Clowney, but rather not having enough players like Clowney that could cause the opposing offense problems.

Or a cornerback that Rodgers and Adams used as a punching bag the entire game.

This defense is nowhere near ready to compete for a SB, and if we can't (or choose to not) sign Clowney, Pete and John better have a helluva backup plan to get the D-line even up to average by league standard.

Jackson
Ford
Green
Collier

That's our D-line right now. If that doesn't put the fear of God into you, I don't know what will.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The defense has significant room for improvement but in my view we were clearly in the competition for the Super Bowl last season. I do agree that improving the defense is our best path forward under Carroll.

Bryan Mone looked good in limited action and is more attractive to me on the ERFA tender (585k) than Jackson would be on the RFA original round tender (2.14m). However, I do think we should be able to get Jackson back without tendering him.

The upside of Reed's poor season is that he is now clearly affordable on a long-term deal if we still want to pursue that route. I'm sure we're all concerned that 2018 was the anomaly.

We should also have lots of flexibility this season to add depth to the roster with post June 6th UFA veterans. The current roster has 39 players still on rookie contracts and only 6 earning top #160 contracts. Add in how many draft picks we have and 80%+ of the roster will be on very cheap deals. Roster projections about the team after tier 1/2 FA and the draft will likely be missing a handful of key players that are added later.

Reaction score
The problem with Clowney is that he doesn't produce his best on a consistent basis. That was the issue in Texas too, and when he signed here, many fans, including myself, were salivating because of what Clowney can be like when he's on form but there's a reason many texans fans weren't upset he'd left. Similar to them now, if he goes, the next fanbase he'll play for will be analysing the 49ers game and they'll be salivating at the prospect of seeing Clowney in their team's jersey but for many Seahawk fans, including myself, it'll be the loss of a player who can be phenomenal, MVP level but can also have very quiet games where he doesn't play a part.

Khalil Mack got his big pay based off a year when he was constantly brilliant, Donald is always excellent, TJ Watt was a constant problem last year, Miller at his best will be unplayable...and these guys are the ones that deserve those massive payouts because they combine talent with consistency whereas with Clowney, you only have talent.

Clowney likely doesn't deserve all the blame for his year because I think the coaching was poor but then Mack had a year of poor coaching, being double teamed and a lack of quality around him, yet still got 8.5 sacks and 40 tackles.

I'd love to keep Clowney but for the money, he's just not worth it. Players who get less money will be more of a problem to deal with next year and I'd prefer someone like Ngakoue.

jmahon316

Reaction score
AgentDib":1slbe8b8 said:
The defense has significant room for improvement but in my view we were clearly in the competition for the Super Bowl last season. I do agree that improving the defense is our best path forward under Carroll.

Bryan Mone looked good in limited action and is more attractive to me on the ERFA tender (585k) than Jackson would be on the RFA original round tender (2.14m). However, I do think we should be able to get Jackson back without tendering him.

The upside of Reed's poor season is that he is now clearly affordable on a long-term deal if we still want to pursue that route. I'm sure we're all concerned that 2018 was the anomaly.

We should also have lots of flexibility this season to add depth to the roster with post June 6th UFA veterans. The current roster has 39 players still on rookie contracts and only 6 earning top #160 contracts. Add in how many draft picks we have and 80%+ of the roster will be on very cheap deals. Roster projections about the team after tier 1/2 FA and the draft will likely be missing a handful of key players that are added later.

Reed won't come cheap apparently...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/1j_reed/status/1219815516950298629[/tweet]

Kinger95

Reaction score
Honestly I don’t want reed back. Got suspended like a moron. Came back and was garbage/invisible on the field and obviously not keeping himself in shape. Then plays a handful of games last season and try’s to command top dollar? No
Thanks . Someone else can pay him to get in trouble and play like crap. If we weren’t dangerously thin on the d line we wouldn’t even consider paying him