1st. Rd. Pick #31, Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M

Largent80

Reaction score
Just heard him on KIRO. He can't wait to get to work.

Unless your team is crappy enough (like we were when we drafted Walter Jones) you aren't going to get some monster O-lineman to come in and start flattening people. We picked 31 and got the best RT in the draft. You armchair GM's crack me up.

Why don't you go to work for an NFL team as a GM if you are so smart?

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I've slept on this and I am still not in love with the pick. I'm jaded on choosing "upside" over proven production, and in my opinion Spriggs is a guy who can come in and start at a competent level sooner rather than later. Even if he never reaches All Pro status, you see a guy who is a 10 year respectable player and we passed on him, not to mention two stud DTs.

But who knows? Maybe this time we'll have hit pay dirt and Ifedi will actually become a legit pro-bowler. His physical tools were never in doubt and he has actually played the position a bit, albeit poorly, so I suppose there is something to build on.

This pick goes into the "wait and see" file, and I was really wanting someone with a better shot at making an impact this season. Ah, well.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Largent80":122grux5 said:

Unless your team is crappy enough (like we were when we drafted Walter Jones) you aren't going to get some monster O-lineman to come in and start flattening people. We picked 31 and got the best RT in the draft. You armchair GM's crack me up.

Right, Rob, so why don't you just keep your thoughts to yourself when you don't like something the team is doing? I can recall many, many posts from you about how the team neglects the OL, among other things.

Oh yeah, it's because this is a fan site and we can go off on whatever we want (mostly).

HawkGA

Reaction score
Cripes Matt. Shouldn't we at least be happy it's not a DL convert?????? :)

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1y7bcqhx said:

If I had a dollar...

This is a forum! At least he gave some reasoning for why he disliked it before the 'ermahgerd we passed on a stud' crap.

Don't know how anyone can bash this pick though, dislike it sure, but we're addressing a need and at this point we don't know who's going to do well at the next level so let's cool it on the 'surefire stud' opinion as fact stuff. Ifedi has the potential to do great in the NFL, and he comes with a 3rd rounder.

AgentDib

Reaction score
One of the big takeaways for me about what has come from the FO on this pick have been the repetitions about Ifedi's toughness and that he played every game in college including through minor injuries.

I think this supports the theory that injury outcomes are a major focus for them on the OL and a key goal for them is putting together a group that can be consistently on the field. Gilliam-Britt-Lewis-Glowinski-Ifedi is a unit with minimal injury history other than what they have played through (Gilliam's rib). If we can add a G/C in round 3 then I think Cable could be pretty happy with this unit in training camp.

pehawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks always take high-ceiling, guys (or gals) with their first pick. And Germain is just that. His frame alone is worth taking at 31.

As far as his tape; who cares! He was playing in a passive, spread offense. His tape doesn’t matter. Greg Robinson, Jonathon Cooper, Eric Fisher, etc all had great tape. You simply cannot judge a player from their collegiate tape anymore.

Willyeye

Reaction score
WOW!!! All the Negative Nancy's in here would probably have been thrilled if the Hawks had picked Ereck Flowers and Greg Robinson in recent drafts.

Think about what you are saying. O-Linemen aren't coming out of college in droves these days at an NFL starter-ready level. More and more fast and athletic "big guys" are avoiding the O-Line and going for that $20 million per year payoff that Suh got. College spread offenses aren't mass-producing All Pro linemen that can compete aginst these DL monsters. Anyone who can't see this is being blind to reality.

Is Ifedi ready to be a starting Tackle in the NFL today? Probably not. But he has all the physical attributes needed to give him a shot at starting Tackle in the NFL. From what I can tell, he's coming from a school that doesn't do a very good job coaching up their O-Linemen. All Ifedi needs is some good coaching. He's a beast of a physical specimen. He has experience at the college level. I believe he has a higher ceiling than any of the O-Linemen picked in the 1st round yesterday.

The Hawks will most likely start him at LG, and he has a great chance of taking that job from Britt. They can work him in at RT slowly. Or with a little luck, he might even find a home at RT this year. I think the only piece of the puzzle that Ifedi is currently missing is good technique. Cable should be able to take a raw kid with tons of potential talent and teach him the necessary techniques...I can see Ifedi being a future All Pro Tackle.

In a couple of years, we can all look back at this day and see what's going on with all the OL guys picked in the 1st round of the 2016 draft. I have a feeling Ifedi will be one of the best.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2zxq3rw7 said:
Once again, our obsession with measurables makes us blind to the fact that some dudes just can't play NFL level ball.

Some people at least will let him show up at camp before making that decision.

Turning into a grouchy old man a little early, aren't you?

Willyeye

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2m95op69 said:
I've slept on this and I am still not in love with the pick. I'm jaded on choosing "upside" over proven production, and in my opinion Spriggs is a guy who can come in and start at a competent level sooner rather than later. Even if he never reaches All Pro status, you see a guy who is a 10 year respectable player and we passed on him, not to mention two stud DTs.

But who knows? Maybe this time we'll have hit pay dirt and Ifedi will actually become a legit pro-bowler. His physical tools were never in doubt and he has actually played the position a bit, albeit poorly, so I suppose there is something to build on.

This pick goes into the "wait and see" file, and I was really wanting someone with a better shot at making an impact this season. Ah, well.

I was totally on the Spriggs bandwagon. But names like Ereck Flowers and Greg Robinson had me doubting myself just a little bit. On the other hand, what's to doubt? Spriggs is a SPARQ beast. But after sleeping on it, I got to thinking...Spriggs is not raw...any bad habits he has have already been ingrained in his game. My thought at this point is that Cable didn't feel he could MOLD Spriggs into the player he would want. If you look at Ifedi's tape, he is RAW. Any issues he might have are probably more easily fixable at this point. His measurables are insane...a 7' wingspan. Even at 320+ lbs., he actually has a hardbody...nothing soft about this guy.

Obviously, none of the 1st round picks from last night come with guarantees, but I think there is so much about Ifedi to be hopeful for. Just give him a chance...I think you'll end up pleasantly surprised.

penihawk

Reaction score
After sleeping on the Ifedi pick I agree with the assertion that its a wait and see pick. Saying he is the best RT in the draft is equally as off base as citing "bust" before he has stepped foot in the vmac?

Seattle likes position versatile lineman and ifedi is that. I don't think he is a plug and play RT at this point tho and will struggle hard with NFL rushers with counter moves, giving up sacks inside him and holding penalties galore. I think guard is where he ends up to start and I'm praying my take on him is all wrong.

For now I will take a cautiously optimistic wait and see approach on a guy with some ability and experience. Let's hope the neysayers are dead wrong on this one and today brings us 4 more studs! :thirishdrinkers:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
AgentDib":ecg95a21 said:
One of the big takeaways for me about what has come from the FO on this pick have been the repetitions about Ifedi's toughness and that he played every game in college including through minor injuries.

I think this supports the theory that injury outcomes are a major focus for them on the OL and a key goal for them is putting together a group that can be consistently on the field. Gilliam-Britt-Lewis-Glowinski-Ifedi is a unit with minimal injury history other than what they have played through (Gilliam's rib). If we can add a G/C in round 3 then I think Cable could be pretty happy with this unit in training camp.
Very good point about the injury factor. I'm guessing the FO and coaching staff got as sick of Okung being hurt all the time as we did.

McGruff

Reaction score
penihawk":1r4ubrh8 said:
I don't think he is a plug and play RT at this point tho and will struggle hard with NFL rushers with counter moves, giving up sacks inside him and holding penalties galore.

For now I will take a cautiously optimistic wait and see approach

:lol:

xgeoff

Reaction score
Largent80":34m5zyu1 said:

The funny thing about this process is that picking NFL players is like picking stocks. Even the pros seem to get it wrong very often. The NFL draft is so much a craps shoot. Sometimes guys get absolute steals (e.g. Russ Wilson) and sometimes those same guys get busts (e.g. Justin Britt).

The truth is that many civilians could pick as well as the Seahawks did in the past (let's say pre-Carroll and Schneider). And, frankly, there are civilians who could do a lot better than some of the other GM's in the league. Many of the guys in the draft just don't work out, so to have some sort of blind faith in NFL GM's (or stock pickers) just because it's their job is just foolish.

xgeoff

Reaction score
penihawk":3ahu9mhg said:
After sleeping on the Ifedi pick I agree with the assertion that its a wait and see pick. Saying he is the best RT in the draft is equally as off base as citing "bust" before he has stepped foot in the vmac?

Seattle likes position versatile lineman and ifedi is that. I don't think he is a plug and play RT at this point tho and will struggle hard with NFL rushers with counter moves, giving up sacks inside him and holding penalties galore. I think guard is where he ends up to start and I'm praying my take on him is all wrong.

For now I will take a cautiously optimistic wait and see approach on a guy with some ability and experience. Let's hope the neysayers are dead wrong on this one and today brings us 4 more studs! :thirishdrinkers:

Agreed! :13:

pmedic920

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":2wefkfgi said:
jake206":2wefkfgi said:
He's going to get his jock handed to him by Cardinals and Rams front line. Sorry, I don't see how this guy is going to be the answer year 1. Word to the wise: Run Russell, run.

Who exactly was going to be the answer year 1?

This is how I feel.
You are not going to rebuilt or even completely fix an entire OL with one draft pick.
I see this kid as an improvement, it's a step in the right direction.

Jville

Reaction score
It is my understanding that there will be no lock out this year .... (unlike the year Carpenter came out)

So ..... it is unlikely that player development will be tabled and stunted going into this season.

titan3131

Reaction score
I love that he is competing vs WEBB. The OLINE was not competitive after losing the SB.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I'm really surprised at all the distractors.

We have all been singing the praises of our front office (PC/JS) for some time. We have been loving their ability to find talent. They have a knack for finding guys that "fit".

The OL was the one area that we agreed needed to be addressed and we did it with our first pick.

Where is all that praise and trust now.
I'm happy with the pick period but when I remember how I/we feel about our front office, I'm ecstatic.
They had other options and still picked this kid. That speaks volumes to me. I believe with everything I've got, that they saw some things in this guy. Intangibles, attitude, teachable, work ethic, or whatever. I can/won't stop trusting our FO, they know something we don't, actually a whole lot of somethings.
This is a great pick IMO.