1st. Rd. Pick #31, Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M

xgeoff

Reaction score
Hawkpower":16fwzya7 said:
xgeoff":16fwzya7 said:
Hawkpower":16fwzya7 said:
Hasselbeck":16fwzya7 said:
PFF gave this pick a D so I feel a lot better about it now.

Really wanted Myles Jack though. Man that would have been fun

Trying to understand how a late first/early second round projected pick, selected at 31, by a team desperate for o-lineman, is a D......

Well, if the Offensive Lineman looks crappy. And there are better linemen available. Then that would warrant a D.

I have seen multiple sites ranking him as the 5th best lineman in the draft.

So which lineman were unanimously considered better that I am missing here?

The scouts and execs that have him as a first round/2nd round talent must be pretty bad at their job to evaluate a "crappy" player that highly. :)

I don't know that there is unanimity when it comes to player talent evaluation. And, quite frankly, Scouts and Execs are often bad at their job. For example:

-- Tony Mandarich
-- Justin Britt

'nuff said

But my point was that PFF can rate him as a D if THEY have lots of guys rated above him. It doesn't matter what NFL.com has him rated as, because PFF could give a crap what they think.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
MysterMatt":3am1s49k said:
Hawkpower":3am1s49k said:
MysterMatt":3am1s49k said:
Once again, our obsession with measurables makes us blind to the fact that some dudes just can't play NFL level ball. I am super thrilled that Schneider can move around the draft, but Ifedi shows very little ability to be an impact player, especially early on. When, exactly, is the last time Cable coached up a star athlete and turned him into a quality player? And yet we keep letting him try?

I'm sorry, but on a night when LA and AZ got stronger to exploit where we are weakest I just can't be anything other than disappointed.

I hope this guy turns out to be an actual football player, but all I see is a damned turnstile.

Sent from my iPhone, which is way better than Roland's Nokia.

You talk as if he was a 6th round project taken at 31. Cmon.

Pete/John are hardly the only ones evaluating him as a good player.

He needs some tweaks, but most of the guys after the top 15 do in one way or another.
He doesn't need tweaks, he needs to learn how to play OL. Look, I am not interested in a pissing match, and I really don't care that this guy was happy we drafted him in front of the camera. What I care about is that for all his amazing physical prowess he is a crappy player. Look at the film. It's utter crap and the only thing that made him effective is that he could out-athlete most other guys. Unless Cable, who has done nothing of note in years, can at least get him to understand the basics, Ifedi will get eaten alive. The dude has no skills.

Well, I have no idea your level of football expertise, or how many hours of film you have watched while forming your opinion. You call him crappy. The NFL and Pete/John disagree.

Guess we will see.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Hawkpower":32yg43wr said:
MysterMatt":32yg43wr said:
Once again, our obsession with measurables makes us blind to the fact that some dudes just can't play NFL level ball. I am super thrilled that Schneider can move around the draft, but Ifedi shows very little ability to be an impact player, especially early on. When, exactly, is the last time Cable coached up a star athlete and turned him into a quality player? And yet we keep letting him try?

I'm sorry, but on a night when LA and AZ got stronger to exploit where we are weakest I just can't be anything other than disappointed.

I hope this guy turns out to be an actual football player, but all I see is a damned turnstile.

Sent from my iPhone, which is way better than Roland's Nokia.

You talk as if he was a 6th round project taken at 31. Cmon.

Pete/John are hardly the only ones evaluating him as a good player.

He needs some tweaks, but most of the guys after the top 15 do in one way or another.

PFF does have him as a sixth round project...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... nfl-draft/

kearly

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3fvhx3fb said:
kearly":3fvhx3fb said:
YESSSSSIRRR!
Happy it wasn't Butler, happy for the pick or both? :)

[vine]iPrd91B9HOg[/vine]

I like this pick a lot. I would have been okay with Butler, Billings, Dodd or Bullard, but personally I liked Ifedi more than any of the realistic DL options (I have a hunch Ogbah wasn't Seattle's type of player). If I were the GM, and you forced me to draft an OL (within Seattle's criteria), I would have picked Ifedi over Spriggs, Whitehair, and Clark.

I just hope fans are patient with him. He's probably going to have growing pains. But if things work out, the Seahawks just got a guy who physically compares to Kelechi Osemele. If any of you guys want Seattle to use this draft to become the big bully on the block again, then drafting an ass-kicker with tools is a good way to start things off.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Atradees":3n2nkyat said:
We picked a guy for the oline that was rated right in the area we got him and picked up a third. Great value to me.
Ifedi does have length, hand size, feet and athleticism.

I would hope we go and get another top rated Olineman in the top half of the draft. Glowinski is our right guard. Ifedi would have to be a tackle. A center/left guard would be awesome.

I always thought that Carpenter was overweight and played stiff. I think they are different guys. Look at his celebration video. Carries himself better than Carpenter.

[youtube]MOLj8K6e8Dk[/youtube]

[youtube]2Nh43sOL1bY[/youtube]
On the 1st vid I see nobody moving our new T but notice how bad the rest of the line is.He doesn't look like a Walt but who does?I like this pick and think he can be coached up.All off season the complaining of "they better draft OL"yet turns into more complaining -Jeez louise

TwilightError

Reaction score
I am excited! Monster size and wingspan, strong like an elephant. Talk about potential?! And this is the exact need, plus a third. What's not to like?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
jake206":35xkb7gw said:
He's going to get his jock handed to him by Cardinals and Rams front line. Sorry, I don't see how this guy is going to be the answer year 1. Word to the wise: Run Russell, run.
There wasn't a Walter Jones clone, nor a rookie pick in this Draft that wouldn't get pushed around by the Cards or Rams "Front Line", hell, most of the veteran O-Linemen have their butts handled by those guys in every game.
Ya gotta start building an O-Line, and what better way than to Draft & Train them to compete with some of the League's better Defensive players, eh?

Overseasfan

Reaction score
A complete sparq monster, amazing measurables and the ability to play both tackle and guard. I expected us to go DL in the first but if it were to be an Olineman it would surely be Ifedi. I think this is a good pick + we got another third for it, not bad at all.

Largent80

Reaction score
titan3131":1qitw6k2 said:
It's idefi I'm pissed

Why would you be pissed about adding a good o-Line player? Evidently you didn't see how shitty they were last year? We basically got him for free and there are TONS of DL still available, hell even OL with 3 wr's taken in a row and 3 QB's, this is shaping up quite nicely.

PLUS we get a 3rd....what a haul.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous

This cat has quick feet. Edge rushers will have a tough time getting around him.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I don't know enough to comment on specific players, but I'm happy they addressed the OL and they got an extra 3rd. 4 picks tonight. That's amazing. I see more OL coming. Perhaps we even get to my hope of 3 OL drafted in the first 3 rounds.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
oasis":3r5ia0xx said:
One more thing. Cable transformed an undrafted tight end in Gilliam into a solid RT. I can't imagine he can't do it again with Ifedi. I'm just excited for day 2.

Exactly, cable gets killed in these forums, unfairly in my opinion. Just look at the improvement that happened last year. I don't think some scrub coach would have been able to takes these guys and make them serviceable. I have heard many voices say he is one of the best coaches, including last night after the pick. I don't think they do that as a favor. He can only coach the guys he has. I am going to refrain from calling this a bad pick until it proves to be a bad pick. Ifedi has size and speed, and good feet as many have pointed out. The coaches have been telling us for a while now that they have to start over when it comes to teaching these guys. Most of the o linemen are not ready for the pro game. The three that may be ready went before the 20th pick, and they aren't guarenteed to be pro bowlers.

ducks41468

Reaction score
I'm not against the pick itself, but Cable's ability to coach up linemen is way overplayed. The best he's done is turn guys from awful to below average.

McGruff

Reaction score
ducks41468":zjpolb6f said:
I'm not against the pick itself, but Cable's ability to coach up linemen is way overplayed. The best he's done is turn guys from awful to below average.

Cable hasn't had a guy with Ifedi tools. Seriously, Okung had a higher floor, but Ifedi at RT has 10 year all pro tools. Cables biggest success have been taking tools players like Sweezy and Gilliam. Now Cable has a tools player with actual big time, long term experience at OL.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
kearly":1mwl8ng5 said:
hawksfansinceday1":1mwl8ng5 said:
kearly":1mwl8ng5 said:
YESSSSSIRRR!
Happy it wasn't Butler, happy for the pick or both? :)

[vine]iPrd91B9HOg[/vine]

I like this pick a lot. I would have been okay with Butler, Billings, Dodd or Bullard, but personally I liked Ifedi more than any of the realistic DL options (I have a hunch Ogbah wasn't Seattle's type of player). If I were the GM, and you forced me to draft an OL (within Seattle's criteria), I would have picked Ifedi over Spriggs, Whitehair, and Clark.

I just hope fans are patient with him. He's probably going to have growing pains. But if things work out, the Seahawks just got a guy who physically compares to Kelechi Osemele. If any of you guys want Seattle to use this draft to become the big bully on the block again, then drafting an ass-kicker with tools is a good way to start things off.

I love that reaction...This man knows how lucky he is getting to play with Wilson and going to one of the best organizations in the NFL :D