1st. Rd. Pick #31, Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M

Hawkpower

Reaction score
MLOhawks":33pixmpf said:
For what it's worth the talking heads said TAMU played him wrong and he could be great if coached up by Cable in the Hawks style of offense.

I think its worth quite a bit.

I will take their analysis over the "angry we didn't take Jack" guys-who suddenly have apparently scouted hours of random tape on him and just KNOW he is soft and terrible lol.

chris98251

Reaction score
With his feet and quickness and ability to get to the next level Rawls will be a happy guy.

CPHawk

Reaction score
thegreeninyoureye":7p4p9xa9 said:
plus he's played OL before, which is a plus!

You can say that again lol. Reminds me of the Carp pick people didn't like it but he was serviceable. The third round pick helps.[/quote]

I think he's further along than Carp was at the same stage.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1mrv4jqq said:
PFF gave this pick a D so I feel a lot better about it now.

Really wanted Myles Jack though. Man that would have been fun

Trying to understand how a late first/early second round projected pick, selected at 31, by a team desperate for o-lineman, is a D......

penihawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3mz3euw2 said:
MLOhawks":3mz3euw2 said:
For what it's worth the talking heads said TAMU played him wrong and he could be great if coached up by Cable in the Hawks style of offense.

I think its worth quite a bit.

I will take their analysis over the "angry we didn't take Jack" guys-who suddenly have apparently scouted hours of random tape on him and just KNOW he is soft and terrible lol.

For the record I made my dislike of Ifedi known the past few days in other threads. :D

xgeoff

Reaction score
MLOhawks":1t5wvsms said:

Riiiiight. Cause Cable 'coached up' Drew Nowak. And James Carpenter. And Justin Britt...

xgeoff

Reaction score
Hawkpower":gwzgk4qy said:
Hasselbeck":gwzgk4qy said:

Trying to understand how a late first/early second round projected pick, selected at 31, by a team desperate for o-lineman, is a D......

Well, if the Offensive Lineman looks crappy. And there are better linemen available. Then that would warrant a D.

sc85sis

Reaction score
He played in a three-point stance in HS and said he's been practicing it in recent months. That shows he knows he needs to make adjustments to succeed and is willing to put in the work. Also said he liked that Cable didn't BS him but gave honest feedback at his pro day regarding what he needed to improve on.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Once again, our obsession with measurables makes us blind to the fact that some dudes just can't play NFL level ball. I am super thrilled that Schneider can move around the draft, but Ifedi shows very little ability to be an impact player, especially early on. When, exactly, is the last time Cable coached up a star athlete and turned him into a quality player? And yet we keep letting him try?

I'm sorry, but on a night when LA and AZ got stronger to exploit where we are weakest I just can't be anything other than disappointed.

I hope this guy turns out to be an actual football player, but all I see is a damned turnstile.

Sent from my iPhone, which is way better than Roland's Nokia.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Ifedi was among the 3 OL in the first round that i thought could physically dominate at the next level.

Tunsil
Conklin
Ifedi

oasis

Reaction score
What else were we supposed to do at 26 when we have a huge hole at RT. Fill it with sand? I have no doubt we would have taken him at 26 anyway, but we got a 3rd rounder in addition.

Also, I feel like Carpenter was much slower than this guy from a pass-block standpoint, but I'm not sure.

I can't help but agree with what other sites wrote: he can be as good as he wants to be, and judging from the way he was jumping up and down in excitement for being picked, I am excited for it.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
sc85sis":2r8wc52g said:
He played in a three-point stance in HS and said he's been practicing it in recent months. That shows he knows he needs to make adjustments to succeed and is willing to put in the work. Also said he liked that Cable didn't BS him but gave honest feedback at his pro day regarding what he needed to improve on.
Talk, talk, talk. I will believe when I see.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
xgeoff":1pllmpqy said:
Hawkpower":1pllmpqy said:
Hasselbeck":1pllmpqy said:

Well, if the Offensive Lineman looks crappy. And there are better linemen available. Then that would warrant a D.

I have seen multiple sites ranking him as the 5th best lineman in the draft.

So which lineman were unanimously considered better that I am missing here?

The scouts and execs that have him as a first round/2nd round talent must be pretty bad at their job to evaluate a "crappy" player that highly. :)

Hawkpower

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2c1ml9yv said:
Once again, our obsession with measurables makes us blind to the fact that some dudes just can't play NFL level ball. I am super thrilled that Schneider can move around the draft, but Ifedi shows very little ability to be an impact player, especially early on. When, exactly, is the last time Cable coached up a star athlete and turned him into a quality player? And yet we keep letting him try?

I'm sorry, but on a night when LA and AZ got stronger to exploit where we are weakest I just can't be anything other than disappointed.

I hope this guy turns out to be an actual football player, but all I see is a damned turnstile.

You talk as if he was a 6th round project taken at 31. Cmon.

Pete/John are hardly the only ones evaluating him as a good player.

He needs some tweaks, but most of the guys after the top 15 do in one way or another.

oasis

Reaction score
One more thing. Cable transformed an undrafted tight end in Gilliam into a solid RT. I can't imagine he can't do it again with Ifedi. I'm just excited for day 2.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2zjmd4aa said:
MysterMatt":2zjmd4aa said:

You talk as if he was a 6th round project taken at 31. Cmon.

Pete/John are hardly the only ones evaluating him as a good player.

He needs some tweaks, but most of the guys after the top 15 do in one way or another.
He doesn't need tweaks, he needs to learn how to play OL. Look, I am not interested in a pissing match, and I really don't care that this guy was happy we drafted him in front of the camera. What I care about is that for all his amazing physical prowess he is a crappy player. Look at the film. It's utter crap and the only thing that made him effective is that he could out-athlete most other guys. Unless Cable, who has done nothing of note in years, can at least get him to understand the basics, Ifedi will get eaten alive. The dude has no skills.

Atradees

Reaction score
We picked a guy for the oline that was rated right in the area we got him and picked up a third. Great value to me.
Ifedi does have length, hand size, feet and athleticism.

I would hope we go and get another top rated Olineman in the top half of the draft. Glowinski is our right guard. Ifedi would have to be a tackle. A center/left guard would be awesome.

I always thought that Carpenter was overweight and played stiff. I think they are different guys. Look at his celebration video. Carries himself better than Carpenter.

[youtube]MOLj8K6e8Dk[/youtube]

[youtube]2Nh43sOL1bY[/youtube]