16.2 PPG Allowed Over the Last Five Games

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Until the Rams game, this defense was a dumpster fire int terms of giving up points. They were over 30 PPG allowed through the Buffalo game. Any team could just chuck it endlessly and score at will. I don't agree that much of this was "garbage time" since even in the big Wilson games the teams always pulled close with all these scores late and had a chance to get it back.

But even in a loss last week, they only gave up 17. They now have a near shutout/under ten point game to go with their two under 20 point games. That Philly late TD was actual garbage hail mary action, it was more of a sub-10 point game.

I don't think this is a top level defense, but the fact that they're actually limiting crappy offenses is huge. They've gone from giving up 30 points to the dumpster offense Patriots and incredibly hobbled 49ers to beating the crap out of other team's bad offenses.

I'm not overly concerned with the offense. It's not always great but getting away from "Let Russ Cook" has helped this defense greatly.

They've gone from giving up 30 PPG to getting the average just under 25. If they can keep it up they have a much better chance of winning the division and doing something good in the playoffs. Even with the Giants loss last week I like this team better than the one that was 5-0.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I like the defense a ton more, but the offensive line still scares the bejesus out of me. Looking forward to seeing what Josh Gordon and Penny can do down the stretch. Hyde and Carson looking better and better.

olyfan63

Reaction score
nwHawk":6de2cvuo said:
I like the defense a ton more, but the offensive line still scares the bejesus out of me. Looking forward to seeing what Josh Gordon and Penny can do down the stretch. Hyde and Carson looking better and better.

Josh Gordon? Did I miss a thread where he is eligible again?

JGreen79

Reaction score
olyfan63":f9klky65 said:
nwHawk":f9klky65 said:

Yes, he's eligible to play week 16 vs the rams

AgentDib

Reaction score
nwHawk":3emtiwpp said:
Hyde and Carson looking better and better.
Chris Carson has been tearing it up despite being on a snap count. Another 15 touches today for 98 yards and a TD (6.5 yards per).

Meanwhile the Jets RBs combined for 25 touches for 77 yards and no TDs (3.1 yards per).

olyfan63

Reaction score
JGreen79":18nb57ed said:
olyfan63":18nb57ed said:
nwHawk":18nb57ed said:

Yes, he's eligible to play week 16 vs the rams

Thanks, and I see there is a thread, a bit buried down the list. Looks like people are so happy with our WR corps that we don't view Gordon as a savior, but just another potential weapon.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
We've also played horrible teams during these last five games, this team is a pretender if I've ever saw one.

getnasty

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2k9ds6u5 said:
We've also played horrible teams during these last five games, this team is a pretender if I've ever saw one.

Then who in the NFC isn't a pretender? The Saimts lost to the Eagles yesterday and barely squeaked by Atl last. The Packers looked mediocre the last two weeks agaisnt the Lions and the Eagles.

Seattle's defense is probably somewhere in between what were seeimg right now and what we saw at the beginning of the year. We just need the offense to return and we'll be fine.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Wow, they win by 37, and then get called a pretender. Even when they are clearly improving, people take shots and/or refuse to give them any credit.
Some things never change at dot negative :?

OP
OP
bmorepunk

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2ub54nd2 said:

The defense did what they were supposed to do against average to bad teams. That means we have a shot of them at least playing average against good offenses, which is a universe apart from where they were earlier this season.

Cam Newton threw for 397 yards against this defense. He's had only two games where he broke 300 this season, and eight games where he threw for less than 200 yards. In three of those games he threw for less than 100.

Nick Mullens dropped like 200 yards and the 49ers scored 3 TDs against this defense in the fourth quarter.

It did not matter who they were playing before, the other team would just march right down there and score at will. There were only a couple of critical stops through the first half of the season, and a couple of lucky turnovers.

But this defense has been handling to beating up less capable offenses for the last five weeks.

If they can hold up at this level in the playoffs and the offense plays well they have a good shot to win some games. But giving up 30 PPG like they were earlier in the season? It would have just been some lucky shootout wins if they got them.