#1 total defense and #1 scoring defense

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kearly":210ka2d1 said:
I think what impresses me is just how solid this defense is at all three levels. Last year's defense had great stats, but also had exploitable weaknesses. This year's defense is about as airtight as it gets.

I completely agree. Frankly, we also got lucky a number of times last year at critical points. Despite being only marginally better overall in defensive stats, I think this year's defense is quite a bit better than last year's. Our BFF DVOA is backing this assertion quite nicely right now, too; and it's definitely not just because of an improved pass rush.

Hawks46

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":xyoq4z4p said:
kearly":xyoq4z4p said:
I think what impresses me is just how solid this defense is at all three levels. Last year's defense had great stats, but also had exploitable weaknesses. This year's defense is about as airtight as it gets.

I completely agree. Frankly, we also got lucky a number of times last year at critical points. Despite being only marginally better overall in defensive stats, I think this year's defense is quite a bit better than last year's. Our BFF DVOA is backing this assertion quite nicely right now, too; and it's definitely not just because of an improved pass rush.

I'd agree and say our really only exploitable weakness might be the run game. Teams still get some here and there, and the occasional team will gash us. I'll call it exploitable after the SF game, at least for now.

All things considered, it's as airtight as you get in this league now. I think you have to decide what kind of DL you want: big bodied run stoppers or penetrating pressure the QB. I think we have a really good mix of both.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Polk738":qmmfwp9b said:
2013 Seattle Seahawks Defense -Pts/G --14.6 Yds/G --279.5 Tot Pts--205

1985 Chicago Bears Defense -Pts/G --12.4 Yds/G --258.4 Tot Pts --198

2002 Tampa Bay Bucs Defense -Pts/G --12.2 Yds/G --252.8 Tot Pts --196

2000 Baltimore Ravens Defense -Pts/G --10.3 Yds/G --247.9 Tot Pts --165

Hmmmm... and what do all 3 of those other defenses have in common??

suppaball

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":9dnk815c said:
Polk738":9dnk815c said:
2013 Seattle Seahawks Defense -Pts/G --14.6 Yds/G --279.5 Tot Pts--205

1985 Chicago Bears Defense -Pts/G --12.4 Yds/G --258.4 Tot Pts --198

2002 Tampa Bay Bucs Defense -Pts/G --12.2 Yds/G --252.8 Tot Pts --196

2000 Baltimore Ravens Defense -Pts/G --10.3 Yds/G --247.9 Tot Pts --165

Hmmmm... and what do all 3 of those other defenses have in common??
Super Bowl champs!

sutz

Reaction score
Hawks46":x2hxltjh said:
RolandDeschain":x2hxltjh said:
kearly":x2hxltjh said:

I'd agree and say our really only exploitable weakness might be the run game. Teams still get some here and there, and the occasional team will gash us. I'll call it exploitable after the SF game, at least for now.

All things considered, it's as airtight as you get in this league now. I think you have to decide what kind of DL you want: big bodied run stoppers or penetrating pressure the QB. I think we have a really good mix of both.
Yeah, I think that happens when we get caught with the wrong package on the field. Like most teams, our run defense can ge thrown on a little better, and our pass D can be run on a little better, but we still cover both pretty well. Speed kills and we have an abundance of that all over. Plus, they tackle better than most teams, so when they get there, they seal the deal.