And now your weekly moment of Phil Bates waiver wire Zen

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Predictably, Phil Bates has been waived again. As has TE Brett Brackett. No corresponding moves announced yet.

King Dog

Reaction score
I looked at as much video as I could find on Brackett. I don't know how he ran a 4.6 at his pro day. He looks so slow on video.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Tennessee may snatch up Brackett...Bates should make it back to the PS, and his release likely means that Walters has cleared concussion protocols and should return this week. Hopefully they Keep PRich in for kickoffs, but I wouldn't mind Sherman losing his spot at Punt Return duties.

Reaction score
kidhawk":cehodxif said:
Tennessee may snatch up Brackett...Bates should make it back to the PS, and his release likely means that Walters has cleared concussion protocols and should return this week. Hopefully they Keep PRich in for kickoffs, but I wouldn't mind Sherman losing his spot at Punt Return duties.
That's fine as long as Walters doesn't steal snaps/spot on the active Roster on Sunday from Richardson and Norwood.

OP
OP
N

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
If Malcolm Smith's groin injury is something that's going to keep him out a little while, I wouldn't mind seeing one of these open spots go to our old friend Horace Miller, currently on Carolina's practice squad.

Jville

Reaction score
From yesterday >>> [tweet]https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/526861034880262144[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/526860717899935744[/tweet]

With the continuing unavailability of Zack Miller, the Brackett release suggests he didn't fit. Brackett saw only one snap Sunday.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Jville":1l81tgcx said:
With the continuing unavailability of Zack Miller, the Brackett release suggests he didn't fit. Brackett saw only one snap Sunday.

I looked at his signing more along the lines of insurance with Willson coming off an injury. All reports show Willson made it through the game fine, thus alleviating our need for an emergency TE. It's unlikely we'll ever know for sure the reasoning, but either way, I expect Walters to be back this week since his concussion happened during practice so he's had almost a week to recover. Johnson may be a little longer with his concussion coming during the game

OP
OP
N

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
kidhawk":ftfajb72 said:
Jville":ftfajb72 said:

I looked at his signing more along the lines of insurance with Willson coming off an injury. All reports show Willson made it through the game fine, thus alleviating our need for an emergency TE. It's unlikely we'll ever know for sure the reasoning, but either way.
Exactly. This wasn't about an emergency street free agent not "fitting in." This was about the Seahawks finally having two of their primary TE's fully healthy again and not needing a 3rd who was unlikely to be active on gamedays anyway, and needing that roster spot to address other injury-depleted positions (potentially OLB, safety, DT).

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
I wonder how long until Bryan Walters gets released.

If Paul Richardson or Doug Baldwin can continue to return punts for us, we could save a roster spot. Walters offers almost nothing as a WR for our team.

Cartire

Reaction score
Bates will go back to the PS. And then we'll activate him again next week so he can collect his regular season weekly paycheck.

Jville

Reaction score
I do not recall seeing 10 - 27 tryouts posted yesterday ....... so ...... to complete the week ...... [tweet]https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/526830320361164801[/tweet]

King Dog

Reaction score
I don't mind Walters returning kicks and punts if that's what the fo really wants, but I'm sick of seeing him out there on O taking away snaps from our rookie wr's.

kidhawk

Reaction score
King Dog":s34odhia said:
I don't mind Walters returning kicks and punts if that's what the fo really wants, but I'm sick of seeing him out there on O taking away snaps from our rookie wr's.

After seeing PRich on kickoffs this weekend I hope he stays out there. I don't feel the same about Sherm on punt returns.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
kidhawk":1mcurqxr said:
King Dog":1mcurqxr said:

After seeing PRich on kickoffs this weekend I hope he stays out there. I don't feel the same about Sherm on punt returns.

I concur, my stomach did not feel good at all seeing Sherm on PR. Not just because of the injury risk, but I've never really been impressed with his running with the ball (e.g. after interceptions).

253hawk

Reaction score
King Dog":1rb598pf said:

As opposed to seeing a guy we paid millions for stand on the sideline and refuse to go in? Don't blame Walters too much; at least he's not a douche.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Walters is so bad. I want him cut. He is a waste of a roster spot and not an NFL caliber player.

OP
OP
N

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
The Seattle-to-Cleveland pipeline continues.......the Browns have signed Phil Bates to their 53-man roster today.

drdiags

Reaction score
Good for Bates. Hope he is able to stick and get some play time with the Browns. Maybe he shows something to the Browns, though he probably will be on the inactive squad. Still that is at least 3 weeks of NFL minimum pay for him.

chris98251

Reaction score
I'm waiting for Small to be cut and hit the waiver wire, I'm sure the Seahawks grab him if they can.