New Seahawks Jersey Numbers

Throwdown

Reaction score
I automatically want Dion Bailey to not make the team now. NO DB SHOULD WEAR THAT! RB'S ONLY!

bjboywonder

Reaction score
I HATE when they let someone wear #37. I didn't like it when they let Browner wear it in preseason either. I hate how our ONLY MVP gets such disrespect and doesn't have his number retired. But then again #80 wasn't sacred either when they let Rice wear it i guess. If Largent's number isn't sacred why would i expect Shaun's to be. :pukeface:

Seanhawk

Reaction score
My guess is Norwood will switch to 83 if Lockette gets cut.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I don't think #37 should be retired, but I think it should have special perimeters set for it, RB & FB only, like #8 should be QB only.

I can't get down with a DB wearing it.

bjboywonder

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. Our first and only League MVP, who (albeit for a short period) broke the touch down record, and was a big part of what got us to our first Superbowl, should have his jersey retired. Just my humble opinion.

seanutz

Reaction score
bjboywonder":1s9kwnaq said:
I respectfully disagree. Our first and only League MVP, who (albeit for a short period) broke the touch down record, and was a big part of what got us to our first Superbowl, should have his jersey retired. Just my humble opinion.
:13: :13:

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
razgriz737":3txsq14q said:
Funny that Browner 2.0 got #39 and Breno 2.0 got #68.
Yep, I thought the same thing.

A few other observations....

Paul Richardson getting #10 is fitting, given that he's been comped to DeSean Jackson.

I like that Kiero Small is #34, because physically he looks like an Earl Campbell Mini Me.

Keith Price with #1 makes him Warren Moon Lite, as a fellow UW alum and Hawks QB.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
I don't know if it matters or not, since he is no longer on the team. But I don't think he ever officially retired from the league.

Still, I am also in the camp that thinks the number should be retired.

I'd like to know the teams reasoning in not doing so for the 2005 MVP. :Dunno:

chris98251

Reaction score
bjboywonder":31p5zl2y said:

I always laugh at this, Shaun was a decent runner, he broke records becasue Hutch and Jones were awesome. Put Lynch behind that line and he would have eclipsed Shaun easily.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
chris98251":2f3rmpjq said:
bjboywonder":2f3rmpjq said:

I always laugh at this, Shaun was a decent runner, he broke records becasue Hutch and Jones were awesome. Put Lynch behind that line and he would have eclipsed Shaun easily.
I'm with you on this one. Shaun was a productive runner in an offense designed to churn out productive runners, much like Terrell Davis. But also like Davis, he was not a transcendent player, and to me, jersey retirements and HOF inductions should be reserved for the truly transcendent players such as Walter Jones and Steve Largent.

bjboywonder

Reaction score
I'm sure Lynch would be amazing with 05's line. And I'm sure with Blades and Largent at WR- SBXL would have been a cake walk. Now that we're done with hypotheticals; Shaun did do what he did, and gets very little credit for it. Why would we retire the other jerseys we've retired if the only player to get certain recognition (like MVP and the touchdown record) from the league can't even have his jersey retired by his own team? Largent is a legend, Cortez is a legend, Walt is a legend and so is Shaun. Without Hutch, Big Walt proved he was only one piece of the machine, without Shaun running all over everyone, no one could give that O-line the credit everyone does. Because while Shaun was only a part of it (a big part) he was the one scoring touchdowns. Shaun deserves more respect from the Seahawks.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but you make the Hall Of Fame, then we will talk jersey retirement. Also, I get way more up in arms every year when someone trots out #45, if we were going to retire any number that isn't in the HOF, that would be the one for me.

chris98251

Reaction score
bjboywonder":3dzzvcyg said:
I'm sure Lynch would be amazing with 05's line. And I'm sure with Blades and Largent at WR- SBXL would have been a cake walk. Now that we're done with hypotheticals; Shaun did do what he did, and gets very little credit for it. Why would we retire the other jerseys we've retired if the only player to get certain recognition (like MVP and the touchdown record) from the league can't even have his jersey retired by his own team? Largent is a legend, Cortez is a legend, Walt is a legend and so is Shaun. Without Hutch, Big Walt proved he was only one piece of the machine, without Shaun running all over everyone, no one could give that O-line the credit everyone does. Because while Shaun was only a part of it (a big part) he was the one scoring touchdowns. Shaun deserves more respect from the Seahawks.

That Line made Maurice Morris look good also, so do we retire his number also? Thats the difference, I said Shaun was decent, but that line made him look great for a few years.

This is fact by the way and not hypothetical.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
bjboywonder":1srico1n said:
The Seahawks organization has shown ample "respect" for Shaun, including having him raise the 12th Man flag. You don't need to have your jersey retired to be respected. To call Shaun a "legend" is vastly overstating his accomplishments. Yes, he was the most successful RB in team history, but we're talking about a team with a pretty weak history of RB's (Chris Warren ranks second in career rushing yards as a Hawk). Ask the average football fan outside of Seattle who they consider the "legendary" RB's to be, and you'll hear names like Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders.....not Shaun Alexander. He was a very good RB over a mere 8-season career, who had a few moments of greatness, but he was not a transcendent player who changed the game or altered perception. Had he been, then a jersey retirement would be more than justified.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":23z6cj2p said:
bjboywonder":23z6cj2p said:

That Line made Maurice Morris look good also, so do we retire his number also? Thats the difference, I said Shaun was decent, but that line made him look great for a few years.

This is fact by the way and not hypothetical.

When did Maurice Morris ever look good? He had a hard time running over white lines.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
NorthDallas40oz":i8h9trlw said:
bjboywonder":i8h9trlw said:
The Seahawks organization has shown ample "respect" for Shaun, including having him raise the 12th Man flag. You don't need to have your jersey retired to be respected. To call Shaun a "legend" is vastly overstating his accomplishments. Yes, he was the most successful RB in team history, but we're talking about a team with a pretty weak history of RB's (Chris Warren ranks second in career rushing yards as a Hawk). Ask the average football fan outside of Seattle who they consider the "legendary" RB's to be, and you'll hear names like Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders.....not Shaun Alexander. He was a very good RB over a mere 8-season career, who had a few moments of greatness, but he was not a transcendent player who changed the game or altered perception. Had he been, then a jersey retirement would be more than justified.

Shaun Alexander: 5.1 ypc (2005) behind Jones and Hutch
Marshawn Lynch: 5.0 ypc (2012) behind Sweezy/Moffitt!!!

I think this just highlights how special Lynch really is, not to mention the fact that Lynch running over people is infinitely more fun to watch. Regardless, happy to have experienced both periods. No substitute for winning.

sutz

Reaction score
Thye give someone #45 almost every pre-season. Let's wait til the first whistle blows before we get too panty-bunched, eh?

:229031_shrug:

Latest posts