The last 30-35 yards

Ruminator

Reaction score
For the first 65 to 70 yards of a football field, Wilson is a bonafide passer who can move the chains with relative ease -- especially when the OL does their job. But once they get to about 30 to 35 yards of the end zone (what I call the opportunity area), his performance too often drops to just average -- or worse. Saw this many times last season where they marched decisively to get close to or inside of red zone, only to start floundering a bit and eventually settle for a FG.

Saw it happen again last night. First drive got us to about 18 yards of the end zone, but they sputtered and settled for a FG (necessitated partly because they abandoned their 4th down conversion attempt thanks to an offensive penalty during the snap that added 5 yards).

On the next drive, Wilson made some nice throws including that 48-yard bomb to Kearse. But alas, another FG attempt from the 31-yard line (which became the 26-yard line after a KC penalty).

Then on the touchdown-scoring drive, we started with pretty good field position at our 38, and sustaining the drive was partly aided by several KC defensive penalties. Carson did his part on the ground to move us to about the 30-35 yard line. Then KC's Sorensen mobbed #88 for a PI to put us at the 7-yard line. Some of the aforementioned KC defensive penalties ensued, and Lacy couldn't punch it in, but then Wilson underthrew an uncharacteristically wobbly and weakly thrown toss (maybe lightly tipped by a KC defender, not sure) to Madden who was somehow able to hang onto it and haul it in. Thus, finishing up the remaining 30-35 yards to the eventual TD was nowhere near as decisive as we'd like to see.

The next drive included a nice 20+ yard pass to ADB near the sideline and that beauty thrown to #88 in the middle of the field for a huge gain. But guess what that drive eventually netted? Yep, another FG. Wilson's too-wide + underthrow of ADB on the goal line was a bit concerning. So the halftime score that was 10-16 could easily have been 10-28. Good thing we have a good defense.

This would have been a much closer game had the Chiefs committed only half their penalties, so it makes me wonder how we'll do against a strong and more disciplined opponent.

But back to the main concern, I had hopes that the team would be playing better in the opportunity area of the field this season. Didn't happen much last night, though I know it's only preseason. Maybe they'll sharpen up when the games start to count.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Wilson was pretty horrid on the goal line yesterday. The biggest mark against him has always been his lackluster redzone performance, and early indications are that will remain a huge problem this year. On one series, he threw Jimmy out of bounds in the end zone, and followed that up with a really inaccurate pass to Doug that would not have been a TD even if caught. Even the TD to Madden was thrown all sloppy and behind the receiver. I don't know what the deal is, but he's not a good redzone QB

Josea16

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":klp9l8ls said:
Wilson was pretty horrid on the goal line yesterday. The biggest mark against him has always been his lackluster redzone performance, and early indications are that will remain a huge problem this year. On one series, he threw Jimmy out of bounds in the end zone, and followed that up with a really inaccurate pass to Doug that would not have been a TD even if caught. Even the TD to Madden was thrown all sloppy and behind the receiver. I don't know what the deal is, but he's not a good redzone QB
The Tre Madden pass was tipped.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Josea16":ma1i0vvw said:
Missing_Clink":ma1i0vvw said:
The Tre Madden pass was tipped.

Ah ok, hard to see those things from the nosebleeds sometimes. Doesn't move the needle much on my opinion about Wilson in the red zone though.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Be nice to see some plays that utilize the physical advantages of the other players (Graham's height for example) to simplify things in the red zone.

hburn21

Reaction score
Uncle Si":20h2uimc said:
Be nice to see some plays that utilize the physical advantages of the other players (Graham's height for example) to simplify things in the red zone.
Russell for all his great abilities is horrible at the fade pass, he just cannot make that pass 90% of the time. It's consistently short on his placement of the fade

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":vqhavvj1 said:

But, But, that would be the expected thing to do, much better to throw to a FB blocking for you in the flat, they won't see that coming.

cymatica

Reaction score
Maybe Wilson's 'cautious' playing style just suffers when the field is more condensed. It sure seems like the playcalling becomes less aggressive. Quite possible, once in scoring range, the coaches have decided it's better to play it safe based on the strengths and weaknesses of the team. As frustrating as it seems sometimes, playing for the fieldgoal may actually work better for this team in some situations.

OP
OP
Ruminator

Ruminator

Reaction score
You'd think touchdown optimism would be a straight line upward trajectory for its entire length the closer our offense gets to the goal line, but if you put it on a graph, the bull run peaks at around the opponent's 35- to 45-yard line but then becomes gradually bearish the closer they get after that. Probably ranked in the top 10 in the league in the number of fourth-down situations within the 30-35 last season. But it's something we've kind of gotten accustomed to, though I don't want to be accustomed to this. My hope was that the team spent insane amounts of time this offseason/training camp working on compressed field situations.

Anthony!

Reaction score
While I, to a point understand the concern, the issue I guess is we are looking at this game what about last week we scored on our only possession in the red zone with Wilson at QB. First off on the play to Baldwin not sure he was getting in no matter where it was thrown, as he cut his route at the 2 yard line. As to Graham, not a great throw, could have been higher but not sure it would have mattered as he was really close to the out of bounds marker. All that said in the last 2 games we were in the red zone 4 times with Wilson and got 2 tds. During his tenure with us we have avg 52.4% TD success in the red zone which is middle of the pack, FYI we are top 5 scoring a td from outside the red zone. That said one of the biggest issues has been oline penalties in the red zone where we lead the league. The years between 2006-2011 we avg 48% red zone success. Last time we were higher than the current 52.4% was back when we had the best oline in the league. The team that led the league last year had a top 5 oline. In fact that is the common point, the better the Red zone success rate the better the oline those teams have. There is a direct correlation between oline and red zone success.

sutz

Reaction score
hburn21":2zkqqrc2 said:
Uncle Si":2zkqqrc2 said:
Russell for all his great abilities is horrible at the fade pass, he just cannot make that pass 90% of the time. It's consistently short on his placement of the fade
Well, from what I saw from my recliner, Russ was throwing too low and flat in the endzone. If had put more air under the ball, with some arc, the receiver would have had a better chance to catch it. When you hit the defender in the helmet, it's tough for the reciever to reach around and catch it. I believe the idea is to use a high arc and drop the ball in right on the pylon, so the receiver's body is between the ball and the defender.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
He used to be at his best down there. Personally I believe he should tune out Bevel and Pete once we get inside the 10 and play on his instincts. Get outside the pocket and force the defense to commit to covering him.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
RW gets more cautious BUT to be fair, all of our receivers (Graham included) are not physical attack the ball players.....it's why Kasen Williams makes so much more sense for our roster and why even the much maligned Chris Matthews had a TD in SB49....

Our WR's are good at "go routes", but there is no Julio Jones physicality or Antonio Gates that uses his frame in the redzone that knows positioning and can "box out" a defender......Richardson/Kearse/Baldwin/Graham are not bad players, just not physical players.

I think the drafting of Darboh and finding Moore was to see if one can address that and as much as McEvoy is a "jump-ball" king, he has a chance to be a factor.

Anthony!

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":2i271rue said:
RW gets more cautious BUT to be fair, all of our receivers (Graham included) are not physical attack the ball players.....it's why Kasen Williams makes so much more sense for our roster and why even the much maligned Chris Matthews had a TD in SB49....

Our WR's are good at "go routes", but there is no Julio Jones physicality or Antonio Gates that uses his frame in the redzone that knows positioning and can "box out" a defender......Richardson/Kearse/Baldwin/Graham are not bad players, just not physical players.

I think the drafting of Darboh and finding Moore was to see if one can address that and as much as McEvoy is a "jump-ball" king, he has a chance to be a factor.

Add to that as we heard from the game Friday there were a lot of times our Wr could not get open and that was at mid field. now image you are in the red zone where there is less room to operate, hence why rolling RW out would help alot

LolaRox

Reaction score
It is definitely an issue and I hope they have a real plan to address this year. I see the issue as some combination of play call, penalties & player execution/performance. Russell definitely needs to be better in the red zone, but all the other pieces need to get better as well.

According to this link, in 2016 the Hawks' RZ TD scoring percentage was 47.6% which put them at 25th in NFL - 2015 they were 55.5% which was 16th. They need to score more touchdowns.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/r ... coring-pct

Anthony!

Reaction score
LolaRox":vocuqv6e said:
It is definitely an issue and I hope they have a real plan to address this year. I see the issue as some combination of play call, penalties & player execution/performance. Russell definitely needs to be better in the red zone, but all the other pieces need to get better as well.

According to this link, in 2016 the Hawks' RZ TD scoring percentage was 47.6% which put them at 25th in NFL - 2015 they were 55.5% which was 16th. They need to score more touchdowns.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/r ... coring-pct

Agreed!