Interesting stats on Wilson, our RBs (and Bevell)

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Russell Wilson passing stats on 3rd and 4 or less:

11/29...37.9%...196 yds....6.76 ypa...0 TD, 1 INT 1 Fumble return for TD...8 Sacks for -6 yds Two of his completions went for 96 yds, otherwise, he'd have a 3.70 ypa. His sack rate is 28%.

Out of 29 3rd down and 4 or less attempts, Wilson converted 10 first downs, a 34% success rate. 5 of those first downs came vs Chicago.

Now compare that to our RBs on 3rd and 4 or less:

11 carries for 60 yds...5.45 ypc. 7 first downs. That's a success rate of 64%

Now let's talk Bevell. Wilson is sucking ass on 3rd and 4 or less. Sucking so bad that in 27 of the 29 pass plays Bevell called, Wilson had a 3.7 ypa. Not even enough for a first down on average from 4 yds out. With Wilson converting a measly 34% of his third down attempts, Bevell, offensive genius that he is, calls 3 pass plays for every 1 time he runs the ball. Despite the teams 64% success rate on the ground and a dominating 5.45 ypc on 3rd and 4 or less.

He's killing us. We have to balance our offense and run at least half the time in those 3rd down situations.

Bevell killed us in the SB and he's killing us now. Fire Bevell.

Oh, btw, here is Wilson when NOT throwing on 3rd and 4 yds or less:

113/151...74.8%...1237 yds...8.19 ypa...7 TD, 2 INT, 2 Fumbles....18 sacks. A sack rate of 12%.

Here is our RBs when NOT rushing on 3rd and 4 yds or less:

162 carries for 767 yds...4.7 ypc.

So to summarize. Wilson: sucks ass on 3rd and short. Plays much better otherwise. RBs: Kick ass on 3rd and short. Better than any other time in the game. Bevell: Calls pass plays on 3rd and short 3 out of 4 times. Offense is dying on 3rd downs.

Any questions?

mrt144

Reaction score
Bevell should be like George Costanza where he actively goes against his impulses and does the opposite with good results.

mrt144

Reaction score
Can we get some All-22 of our 3rd down passing plays?

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
mrt144":2e8yy8nd said:
I would love that. Unfortunately, i don't have access. Perhaps Laloosh?

OkieHawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2q51pxri said:

11/29...37.9%...196 yds....6.76 ypa...0 TD, 1 INT 1 Fumble return for TD...8 Sacks for -6 yds Two of his completions went for 96 yds, otherwise, he'd have a 3.70 ypa. His sack rate is 28%.

Out of 29 3rd down and 4 or less attempts, Wilson converted 10 first downs, a 34% success rate. 5 of those first downs came vs Chicago.

Now compare that to our RB's on 3rd and 4 or less:

Now let's talk Bevell. With Wilson sucking ass on 3rd and 4 or less. Sucking so bad that in 27 of the 29 pass plays Bevell called, Wilson had a 3.7 ypa. Not even enough for a first down on average from 4 yds out. With Wilson converting a measly 34% of his third down attempts, Bevell, offensive genius that he is, calls 3 pass plays for every 1 time he runs the ball. Despite the teams 64% success rate on the ground and a dominating 5.45 ypc on 3rd and 4 or less.

He's killing us. We have to balance our offense and run at least half the time in those 3rd down situations.

113/151...74.8%...1237 yds...8.19 ypa...7 TD, 2 INT, 2 Fumbles....18 sacks. A sack rate of 12%.

Here is our RB's when NOT rushing on 3rd and 4 yds or less:

So to summarize. Wilson: sucks ass on 3rd and short. Plays much better otherwise. RB's: Kick ass on 3rd and short. Better than any other time in the game. Bevell: Calls pass plays on 3rd and short 3 out of 4 times. Offense is dying on 3rd downs.

Any questions?

This...this is some crazy stuff right there. Thanks for compiling this data, very enlightening.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Thanks for this breakdown. It confirms what my eyes have been watching all season. Somehow I blame Ciara.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Chawks1":b2go1va1 said:
Thanks for this breakdown. It confirms what my eyes have been watching all season. Somehow I blame Ciara.
I blame the ex wife. Obviously, she shattered his manhood. That's why he's afraid to bone Ciara. And that lack of confidence is showing up in his play ever since the divorce. He hesitates. He's not clutch anymore. If ever you're going to be clutch, it's on 3rd and 4 or less.

Also, the beard. Men who get divorced and grow beards are a red flag for loss of confidence. Men who had beards from their youth are one thing, but studies have shown that some men grow beards in response to a divorce where they felt emasculated.

So I blame the castrating beyotch.

kearly

Reaction score
Russell Wilson passer rating (vs CAR): 96.7
Russell Wilson passer rating (2015): 98.7
Russell Wilson passer rating (career): 98.6

It's amazing how consistent Wilson's numbers are, even as he finds different ways to flourish or struggle every season. Wilson has felt like 3 different quarterbacks each of the past 3 years, but his final numbers always end up around roughly the same place.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
kearly":1wzdl02m said:
Russell Wilson passer rating (vs CAR): 96.7
Russell Wilson passer rating (2015): 98.7
Russell Wilson passer rating (career): 98.6

It's amazing how consistent Wilson's numbers are, even as he finds different ways to flourish or struggle every season. Wilson has felt like 3 different quarterbacks each of the past 3 years, but his final numbers always end up around roughly the same place.
So do you think he's sucked ass on 3rd and 4 yds or less his entire career? Cuz I suppose I could go back and look, but that's a daunting task. It would be interesting to see, however, because if it proved true, then Bevell, by definition, is mentally ill. When one continues to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result......

kearly

Reaction score
My point was basically the opposite, it's like Wilson finds a new way to excel and struggle every season, yet the final result in the big picture is always the same.

If you look at a micro level, it's like Wilson is a different QB every year. Always struggling with something new, and always finding some new way to cover for that struggle. But if you look at Wilson's season numbers, it's like Wilson the most consistent QB in the NFL, he just seems to take a different path to get there every year.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Well, I went and got the stats for the 2014 regular season. Here is Wilson passing on 3rd and 4 yds or less last year:

18/29...62.1%...185 yds...6.38 ypa...1 TD, 0 INT, 1 fumble...4 sacks for -24 yds. He got 15 1st downs, a 52% success rate.

He scrambled (pass plays or running plays?) 4 times for 19 yds and 3 first downs.

In total, Wilson converted 18 of 33 attempts on 3rd and short. 55% success rate.

Running the ball, however, we were simply amazing.

34 carries, 183 yds. 5.4 ypc. 4 TD's We converted on 28 of 34 attempts on 3rd and short. 82% success rate.

Now think about this. Ever since Bevell called that STUPID pass in the Super Bowl, he hasn't been the same. He's already called as many pass attempts on 3rd and short as he called all of last year. And the team that converted 82% of its runs into 1st downs/TD's last year he's called to run the ball 11 times this year.

The oline is obviously much worse. As overall, our passing is down 55% to 34% and our running success is down 82% to 64%.

But come on now. You don't go away from something that had 82% success rate and still has 64% success rate and start passing in short yardage situations 3 out of 4 plays.

Unless you can't get over that one time you passed on short yardage and it cost you a Super Bowl maybe?

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Nice job man!
Bevell just thinks he is smarter than everyone else and he is bound and determined to prove it. Even if it burns this team to the ground.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Another way of looking at this:

In 16 games last year, we faced 3rd and 4 or less 63 times (4/game). Failed to convert a first down 20 times. 14 times passing, 6 times rushing. Run-Pass ratio was 34-29.

In 6 games this season, we face 3rd and 4 or less 40 times (7/game). Failed to convert a first down 23 times. 19 times passing, 4 times rushing. Run-Pass ratio was 11-29.

The oline is worse and we've already surpassed all of last years total failures to convert a first down on 3rd and short. But Bevell isn't doing us any favors either, calling up as many pass plays in 6 games as he did all of last year.

Fire Bevell. Run the damn ball.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Nice! I will agree that Bevell might be really trying to prove everyone wrong about that pass in the SB. If you don't mind, what site are you using to figure this out, i've tried using pro-football and I'm not able to come up with the same figures because it won't give me the stats of 3rd and 4th and less.

mrt144

Reaction score
kearly":2p4n6dko said:
My point was basically the opposite, it's like Wilson finds a new way to excel and struggle every season, yet the final result in the big picture is always the same.

If you look at a micro level, it's like Wilson is a different QB every year. Always struggling with something new, and always finding some new way to cover for that struggle. But if you look at Wilson's season numbers, it's like Wilson the most consistent QB in the NFL, he just seems to take a different path to get there every year.

It really chaps me that people undervalue consistency unless its something consistently bad.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2k9p0bne said:

Now let's talk Bevell. With Wilson sucking ass on 3rd and 4 or less. Sucking so bad that in 27 of the 29 pass plays Bevell called, Wilson had a 3.7 ypa. Not even enough for a first down on average from 4 yds out. With Wilson converting a measly 34% of his third down attempts, Bevell, offensive genius that he is, calls 3 pass plays for every 1 time he runs the ball. Despite the teams 64% success rate on the ground and a dominating 5.45 ypc on 3rd and 4 or less.

So to summarize. Wilson: sucks ass on 3rd and short. Plays much better otherwise. RB's: Kick ass on 3rd and short. Better than any other time in the game. Bevell: Calls pass plays on 3rd and short 3 out of 4 times. Offense is dying on 3rd downs.

Any questions?

Fantastic compilation, thank you. And yes, it's hard to argue with naked data like this. Bevell thinks he's outsmarting opponents--all the way to a 2-4 record. The bum's gotta go.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3tmnkzki said:

Any questions?

Just curious where your data is from? ESPN split stats (even though its broken down for 3rd and 2 or less or 3rd and 3 to 7 to go) for Wilson this year aren't that bad so I am curious why there are two different set of stats out there. Perhaps ESPN's is wrong, idk

Laloosh

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1pabo0lg said:
mrt144":1pabo0lg said:
I would love that. Unfortunately, i don't have access. Perhaps Laloosh?

I devoted a thread to it a while back... Not sure I feel like doing every single 3rd down passing play for the season.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=115719

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I worked my way through the play by play of every game. Used ESPN's site.

Latest posts