Some observations off the cuff

Tical21

Reaction score
Playing the Rams, a ridiculously talented pass-rushing team, with our suspect line and no real deep threats. Wouldn't every coordinator in the league put a lot of extra emphasis on the short passing game? Let Russell get rid of it?

To me, the single biggest problem in this game was that AGAIN, broken record, we are unable to punish a team for blitzing. We spread them out and put a lot of receivers in the route, which I'm fine with. But we didn't complete a single slant. Not one. I guarantee they were called. That has to be slants and quick outs all day long. I would guess that we called them. Would have to see the wide tape to see why it didn't work.

The one play I will absolutely torch both Bevell and Wilson for is the hitch to Lynch hat got picked. In order for a hitch to work, the threat of getting beat over the top has to exist. There isn't a DB in the league that is afraid of getting beat deep by Marshawn. Why a hitch to Marshawn is EVER called is ridiculous, unless it is simply keeping a corner up to sneak a corner route behind it. Didn't appear to be the case here. Russell Wilson cannot throw that pass. Cannot. Ever. How does he not realize the corner is going to drive on anything short when Marshawn is out there? It's really beyond comprehension.

I see no problem at all with bubble screens. They're perfectly safe throws that are almost guaranteed to get you a few yards, and sometimes can pop for more. They should be running more of them to Lockett however than anybody else.

Most of the playcalling I really didn't have much issue with. I wish we would have taken a shot or two, but if we had taken a bunch of deep drops, Bevell would be getting skewered for that and Russell would have gotten it worse.

In the passing game, considering the opponent, I didn't think the line was that bad. We passed 41 times and a got sacked six times, but half of those were on blitzes where we didn't have numbers to block, and we needed to get rid of the damn ball. I'm really anxious to listen to Millen tomorrow to break down the passing game against the blitz.

Defensively, we kind of looked like we looked for many years at 10AM. Just lackluster. Not wrapping up, not making the big play when we needed to, and giving up too many long 3rd downs. The underneath 3rd and 15 to Benny. My goodness, tackle!

Either Mike Bennett is still getting better or I have underestimated him a little bit. That dude lives in the backfield. We didn't get much pressure up the middle though, and Clark was basically a non-factor. Foles scrambles killed us too, and I wouldn't have predicted that. We were just constantly a half step slow.

Irvin failed miserably at setting the edge a few times. He's played too long to get washed inside. And he wants to get paid? I don't remember hearing KJ's name.

The most interesting thing on the defense was to see who won the nickel corner job. With Blackmon, Tye Smith, and Burley all competing and all playing pretty miserably, I was anxious to see what our plan was in the slot. I wondered if we would see Sherman slide inside a bit more, but never could have guessed that Shead playing his spot and moving Sherman inside would be our solution. It wasn't terrible, but I think we lose a bit of edge and part of our identity in the process.

This is a game that screams that it needs to be watched again and broken down, but I don't think I have the heart. I'm too anxious for Green Bay. How much of an edge does the defense get back if 31 walks into the building tomorrow?

What was he thinking when Bailey fell down, on of all things a go route? Was he thinking they're going to pay me? Or was he thinking I've got to go help my guys?

Jimmy Graham showed what he can do in the second half, but I don't know that I love the deal. Nowak spent a good portion of the day getting pushed around and we aren't a talented enough passing team to feature a weapon like Graham correctly. We made our weakness worsw and in return get a player that we don't know how to turn into a difference maker.

Wilson, for all his virtues, might throw the worst goal-line fade in the NFL. They're all uncatchable. Even for a 6'7" freak. Figure it out kid.

The call at the end. Eh. I was pretty sure that's what we would try. Usually works. Didn't work. I'd still love a run-pass option type play but almost all of ours consist of using naked action, and you don't want to go naked with the game on the line.

I'm not freaking out. I expected them to play us tough. We saw a lot of things that can be fixed and improved. However, we need to fix and improve them pretty darn quickly.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Tical21":31574f5v said:
Playing the Rams, a ridiculously talented pass-rushing team, with our suspect line and no real deep threats. Wouldn't every coordinator in the league put a lot of extra emphasis on the short passing game? Let Russell get rid of it?

To me, the single biggest problem in this game was that AGAIN, broken record, we are unable to punish a team for blitzing. We spread them out and put a lot of receivers in the route, which I'm fine with. But we didn't complete a single slant. Not one. I guarantee they were called. That has to be slants and quick outs all day long. I would guess that we called them. Would have to see the wide tape to see why it didn't work.

The one play I will absolutely torch both Bevell and Wilson for is the hitch to Lynch hat got picked. In order for a hitch to work, the threat of getting beat over the top has to exist. There isn't a DB in the league that is afraid of getting beat deep by Marshawn. Why a hitch to Marshawn is EVER called is ridiculous, unless it is simply keeping a corner up to sneak a corner route behind it. Didn't appear to be the case here. Russell Wilson cannot throw that pass. Cannot. Ever. How does he not realize the corner is going to drive on anything short when Marshawn is out there? It's really beyond comprehension.

I see no problem at all with bubble screens. They're perfectly safe throws that are almost guaranteed to get you a few yards, and sometimes can pop for more. They should be running more of them to Lockett however than anybody else.

Most of the playcalling I really didn't have much issue with. I wish we would have taken a shot or two, but if we had taken a bunch of deep drops, Bevell would be getting skewered for that and Russell would have gotten it worse.

In the passing game, considering the opponent, I didn't think the line was that bad. We passed 41 times and a got sacked six times, but half of those were on blitzes where we didn't have numbers to block, and we needed to get rid of the damn ball. I'm really anxious to listen to Millen tomorrow to break down the passing game against the blitz.

Defensively, we kind of looked like we looked for many years at 10AM. Just lackluster. Not wrapping up, not making the big play when we needed to, and giving up too many long 3rd downs. The underneath 3rd and 15 to Benny. My goodness, tackle!

Either Mike Bennett is still getting better or I have underestimated him a little bit. That dude lives in the backfield. We didn't get much pressure up the middle though, and Clark was basically a non-factor. Foles scrambles killed us too, and I wouldn't have predicted that. We were just constantly a half step slow.

Irvin failed miserably at setting the edge a few times. He's played too long to get washed inside. And he wants to get paid? I don't remember hearing KJ's name.

The most interesting thing on the defense was to see who won the nickel corner job. With Blackmon, Tye Smith, and Burley all competing and all playing pretty miserably, I was anxious to see what our plan was in the slot. I wondered if we would see Sherman slide inside a bit more, but never could have guessed that Shead playing his spot and moving Sherman inside would be our solution. It wasn't terrible, but I think we lose a bit of edge and part of our identity in the process.

This is a game that screams that it needs to be watched again and broken down, but I don't think I have the heart. I'm too anxious for Green Bay. How much of an edge does the defense get back if 31 walks into the building tomorrow?

What was he thinking when Bailey fell down, on of all things a go route? Was he thinking they're going to pay me? Or was he thinking I've got to go help my guys?

Jimmy Graham showed what he can do in the second half, but I don't know that I love the deal. Nowak spent a good portion of the day getting pushed around and we aren't a talented enough passing team to feature a weapon like Graham correctly. We made our weakness worsw and in return get a player that we don't know how to turn into a difference maker.

Wilson, for all his virtues, might throw the worst goal-line fade in the NFL. They're all uncatchable. Even for a 6'7" freak. Figure it out kid.

The call at the end. Eh. I was pretty sure that's what we would try. Usually works. Didn't work. I'd still love a run-pass option type play but almost all of ours consist of using naked action, and you don't want to go naked with the game on the line.

I'm not freaking out. I expected them to play us tough. We saw a lot of things that can be fixed and improved. However, we need to fix and improve them pretty darn quickly.

I disagree with about half of your points, but I'll focus on one.

We do have a deep threat, his name is Tyler Lockett.
The guy calling the plays refused to use him in that role today.

.....and yes, a lot of things can be fixed, especially on the Defense. Today's game on defense reminds me a lot of the KC loss last year where the linebackers were constantly out of postion and not staying in their gaps.

I would like to see an open competition at offensive play caller, as I don't see that getting fixed much with the goober that is there now.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":23nuudui said:
Tical21":23nuudui said:

.....and yes, a lot of things can be fixed, especially on the Defense. Today's game on defense reminds me a lot of the KC loss last year where the linebackers were constantly out of postion and not staying in their gaps.

I would like to see an open competition at offensive play caller, as I don't see that getting fixed much with the goober that is there now.
I guess Lockett might end up being a deep threat, but since he's probably our shortest receiver and not really fast, I wouldn't anticipate that role being the best fit for him. I'll gladly hope I'm wrong.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I just wanted to say I really appreciated this writeup. Most cogent thoughts I've read on the game so far.

I might try to write something more later. Might not since you covered it so well. But wanted to give you the shout out regardless. Thanks.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Tical21":21u1e1mv said:

Watching Lockett block for Doug on that screen was too much. Even I was cussing Bevell on that one.

The pick to Lynch was, perhaps, the worst decision I've seen a quarterback make. It was right up there with Schaub in 2013, week 4 or 5. Terrible.

Thanks for the post, Tical.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tical, saying Lockett is not really fast is silly. Otherwise I agree with a lot of your post.

I was begging for a Wilson to Jimmy fade. Until I saw one. For as long as wilson holds the ball he gets rid of the fade too soon.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Tical21":1zd38o57 said:
Sports Hernia":1zd38o57 said:
Tical21":1zd38o57 said:

I guess Lockett might end up being a deep threat, but since he's probably our shortest receiver and not really fast, I wouldn't anticipate that role being the best fit for him. I'll gladly hope I'm wrong.

Lockett isn't fast now?

nategreat

Reaction score
Tical21":fvvvy3w3 said:

Nice write-up..... but how is Tyler Lockett not fast? He's shifty AND fast. And 10x the receiver our other Lockette is, who would be the only competition for fastest on the team (maybe Paul Richardson I guess?). Lockett is great at making the defender bite too, which gives him another advantage for running deep routes.

Whether he's the best option on the team right now in your eyes at doing that (I think he already is), we need to take shots down the field regardless. Maybe Russ didn't have enough time behind the O-line today, but we need to be able to incorporate that into our play calling.

kearly

Reaction score
Lynch had a mostly great game in short yardage situations, but he missed a good enough hole to the left on the final play. I thought for sure he was going to hit it and then he danced instead and took the TFL.

Marshawn seemed to have less pep in his step too. Less explosive, and less elusive. Every time he tried to cut back against a defender he'd just get tackled. I hope it's just a fluke.

Nowak needs to work on a lot of things, particularly his shotgun snaps.

Wilson never had time to throw all game but still completed 78% of his passes. I think he'll be just fine next week when he can mix in 5-6 deep bombs. He had 0 today... out of 41 attempts!

As mentioned Wilson really needs to work on his endzone fade.

Bad calls went both ways in this game, but an uncalled DPI on an endzone fade late in the game was really tough. IIRC, it was targeting Kearse, and the DB just shoved him out of bounds while the ball was in the air.

Luke Willson doesn't really add any value to the team anymore, neither does Helfet. One of those guys should be cut to bring in a blocking TE. We need one.

Fred Jackson looked really good as a receiver and solid as a runner.

Given the adversity Wilson faced today I'm impressed how he seemed to fit into a rhythm. It's too bad they were all dink and dunks.

Graham looks good. The Rams are one of the best teams in the NFL at defending TEs and Graham still managed a decent number of catches.

Britt still gets roasted on the edge rush... at guard.

Okung seemed to play well, the rest of the OL sucked. As could be expected in this nightmare week 1 matchup.

Lockett is good on screens and good on short sideline stuff. Scottemojo mentioned to me that the Rams started sending double teams Lockett's way by the 2nd half. He's really good.

Defense had a brutal game outside of Bennett, Mebane, maybe Avril, maybe Earl. Typical 10am stuff with regard to tackling as Tical mentions. Our linebackers haven't played a game that bad since 2013. I'm sure KJ and Wagner will be fine next week. Not worried about the LBs long term.

Bailey made it feel like Seattle was playing with 10 defenders. That final TD was such a disaster. You literally could not draw up a worse way to blow the game. It had every Hawk fan feeling like this on the inside:

cleveland-browns-dog-pound-nfl-fan-gifs.gif

The worst part of this game is how it impacts Kam. Kam was totally on the ropes before this game, you felt he'd be caving any moment. But this game couldn't have boosted his stock any more, so just when it looked like Kam might cave, now he'll be further emboldened. I don't think Seattle will give in, I think both sides will suffer, sadly.

Credit where credit is due, Nick Foles took advantage of our secondary issues and the Rams coaching staff drew up a good game plan defensively. The Rams defense executed that plan to perfection. Seattle couldn't throw deep on that defense. It seemed to be impossible. And they snuffed out the short stuff masterfully. Their tackling was very sound, and their corners played fairly tight coverage. YAC was hard to come by. The great defenses dictate how games are played, and that's what the Rams defense did today.

Up until the turf-monster got Bailey, I was really having fun watching this game. It was a wild one, and up until that moment, felt like a win.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Lockett is fast enough to have run back three punts for scores already. He is plenty fast and our only #1 WR at this point. He is our only receiver that can make a defender miss.

kearly

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":q3ww245g said:
Sorry, your post was WAY too long to read.

I read it all and loved it. Tical always brings a quality perspective.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3vjrt08v said:
Lockett is fast enough to have run back three punts for scores already. He is plenty fast and our only #1 WR at this point. He is our only receiver that can make a defender miss.
By that logic players such as Heyward-Bey should've been superstars, or perhaps Devin Hester.

Wartooth

Reaction score
If it helps...
The Bears rushed for 189 yards against the Packers today!
Maybe Bevell will run the ball down their throats next week...
That'd be Great.

Anthony!

Reaction score
kearly":ndan77pe said:
Lynch had a mostly great game in short yardage situations, but he missed a good enough hole to the left on the final play. I thought for sure he was going to hit it and then he danced instead and took the TFL.

Marshawn seemed to have less pep in his step too. Less explosive, and less elusive. Every time he tried to cut back against a defender he'd just get tackled. I hope it's just a fluke.

Nowak needs to work on a lot of things, particularly his shotgun snaps.

Wilson never had time to throw all game but still completed 78% of his passes. I think he'll be just fine next week when he can mix in 5-6 deep bombs. He had 0 today... out of 41 attempts!

As mentioned Wilson really needs to work on his endzone fade.

Bad calls went both ways in this game, but an uncalled DPI on an endzone fade late in the game was really tough. IIRC, it was targeting Kearse, and the DB just shoved him out of bounds while the ball was in the air.

Luke Willson doesn't really add any value to the team anymore, neither does Helfet. One of those guys should be cut to bring in a blocking TE. We need one.

Fred Jackson looked really good as a receiver and solid as a runner.

Given the adversity Wilson faced today I'm impressed how he seemed to fit into a rhythm. It's too bad they were all dink and dunks.

Graham looks good. The Rams are one of the best teams in the NFL at defending TEs and Graham still managed a decent number of catches.

Britt still gets roasted on the edge rush... at guard.

Okung seemed to play well, the rest of the OL sucked. As could be expected in this nightmare week 1 matchup.

Lockett is good on screens and good on short sideline stuff. Scottemojo mentioned to me that the Rams started sending double teams Lockett's way by the 2nd half. He's really good.

Defense had a brutal game outside of Bennett, Mebane, maybe Avril, maybe Earl. Typical 10am stuff with regard to tackling as Tical mentions. Our linebackers haven't played a game that bad since 2013. I'm sure KJ and Wagner will be fine next week. Not worried about the LBs long term.

Bailey made it feel like Seattle was playing with 10 defenders. That final TD was such a disaster. You literally could not draw up a worse way to blow the game. It had every Hawk fan feeling like this on the inside:

cleveland-browns-dog-pound-nfl-fan-gifs.gif

The worst part of this game is how it impacts Kam. Kam was totally on the ropes before this game, you felt he'd be caving any moment. But this game couldn't have boosted his stock any more, so just when it looked like Kam might cave, now he'll be further emboldened. I don't think Seattle will give in, I think both sides will suffer, sadly.

Credit where credit is due, Nick Foles took advantage of our secondary issues and the Rams coaching staff drew up a good game plan defensively. The Rams defense executed that plan to perfection. Seattle couldn't throw deep on that defense. It seemed to be impossible. And they snuffed out the short stuff masterfully. Their tackling was very sound, and their corners played fairly tight coverage. YAC was hard to come by. The great defenses dictate how games are played, and that's what the Rams defense did today.

Up until the turf-monster got Bailey, I was really having fun watching this game. It was a wild one, and up until that moment, felt like a win.

Finally analysis that is accurate, unbiased and true. As to Wilson and fades he use to do a lot of them with Tate and they worked well together, then once Tate left he did not do a lot of them, so I think he just needs more work, on one it looked like he and JG were thinking different things. But I agree more work. To me these 4 things need to improve for our offense to improve

1 play calling in non hurry up and 2 minute drills, in other words bevel.
2 get rid of the 25 scripted plays or at least be willing to stop using them early
3 Oline
4 penalties on offense

LymonHawk

Reaction score
There's lots of blame to go around in this game. Offense, defense, and STs. But there are a few things that bother me more than others.

I too thought our LBs disappeared this game. I thought RW stills looks rusty, although he did have his moments. But besides his usual holding the ball too long, IMHO, he looked kinda slow on his feet.

The onside call was horrible, both in the decision to run it, and in the execution of the play.

Our DBs looked lost at times...seriously. They need more work together.

But I'm not worried. I still love this team and believe in them.

Go 'Hawks!!

Rocket

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":2r6wif1i said:
Sorry, your post was WAY too long to read.

Here's a hopefully productive suggestion. Pretend that each paragraph is a different post.
I taught that to my nephew and it works for him.
Good luck with it.