Your Top 10 QB's heading into 2016 season

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Curious to see where you guys slot the Top 10 QB's heading into this season.

These lists usually shake up every season with risers and fallers.. so interested to see what you come up with now especially considering Peyton has retired, Cam had an MVP year, Romo and Luck missed most of the season with injuries. Brees, Rivers and Flacco (who later missed the last part of the year with an ACL injury) were all mired on awful teams. Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota showed flashes of really good play. Derek Carr and Teddy Bridgewater are good young up and coming guys. Andy Dalton had a hot start and slow finish. Kirk Cousins had a slow start and red hot finish. Carson Palmer put up big numbers. Basically.. a lot of things happened in 2015 at the QB position to make these rankings pretty interesting.

I'll begin with mine.

1. Aaron Rodgers - Many Seahawk fans hate the guy, I still think he's a phenomenal player and the best at his position

2. Tom Brady - For some reason he just doesn't seem to age. Still one of the elite QB's in the game

3. Russell Wilson - Silenced many critics with his arm in 2015. Is absolutely a Top 5 QB now, and I think a Top 3 one.

4. Ben Roethlisberger - Even after being battered and bruised last season he still found a way to throw for nearly 4000 yards. With Brady's suspension, I think the Steelers are the team to beat in the AFC this year and Ben is a big reason why.

5. Cam Newton - Hard to dispute what a great year he had in 2015. Wilson v. Newton is shaping up to be the next great NFL rivalry for years to come.

6. Tony Romo - Here's where these rankings get interesting. I'm slotting Romo in 6th because I think he has been vastly underrated for most of his career. When healthy he's one of the best QB's in the game, when he's not.. Dallas is picking in the Top 10 of the draft.

7. Carson Palmer - Postseason meltdown aside, Palmer is still a very dangerous player at QB. One of the old guard pocket QB's but he is a perfect fit for Bruce Arians offense and if he stays healthy is one of the 10 best in the game.

8. Drew Brees - Kind of like Romo and Palmer here. Brees can still get the job done.

9. Andrew Luck - The .NET whipping boy only because he was the #1 overall pick the same year Russell Wilson slipped to the 3rd round. I do think he's been overrated thus far in his career and that he has to take better care of the football, but like Drew Brees.. the mans supporting cast is truly dreadful. Luck is a great QB that would be a lot better if he had a GM worth a crap assembling the roster around him.

10. Derek Carr - Carr is going to blossom into one special QB very soon. He has it all, and now the Raiders have given him a nice array of weapons to work with.

Best of the Rest (No particular order):
- Philip Rivers
- Joe Flacco
- Andy Dalton
- Kirk Cousins
- Eli Manning
- Matthew Stafford
- Matt Ryan
- Alex Smith
- Tyrod Taylor
- Ryan Fitzpatrick
- Teddy Bridgewater

Laloosh

Reaction score
I didn't know you were into this sort of thing, Hasselbeck.

Actually looks good though I might be on the fence with regard to #10 (could go Flacco, Bridgewater or Carr for me).

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Pretty solid list. I can live with it existing on the internet without completely losing my shit.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Pretty soon the Panthers fans will be in here cause you didn't list Cam #1.

Oh and great list. Thanks
Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Maulbert

Reaction score
1. Aaron Rodgers - I don't really like him. But that doesn't mean I'm stupid.
2. Tom Brady - I @#$%ing hate him. But that's half the reason he's this high.
3. Russell Wilson - 2nd highest rated passer in NFL history behind only Aaron Rodgers.
4. Cam Newton - Great front runner. Not so great dealing with adversity. Still, he practically IS Carolina's offense.
5. Andrew Luck - He'll bounce back, he's still young. Besides, I don't hate him for being the talent that he truly is, which some Hawks fans don't like to admit.
6. Carson Palmer - Glass knees, but there's no denying he's thrived under Arians.
7. Ben Roethlisberger - While he's a good QB, the Steelers have never been great because of him. He is not good in the playoffs, and played better in his SB loss than either of his wins.
8. Drew Brees - Only this low because he can't carry a team anymore, but he's still solid.
9. Eli Manning - Quietly has had the 2 best seasons of his career since Ben McAdoo has been his OC.
10. Andy Dalton - Had his best year this season, and I think he could have led the Bengals to their first playoff win in 26 years if he hadn't been injured.

David Carr - Give him another year. No one should be judged on 2 seasons.
Tony Romo - More fragile than Palmer, not clutch, only great with a good running game.

Sac

Reaction score
For the most part I agree, but the honorable mentions need to have Blake Bortles at the very top. The kid is good.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Sac":2791vrmg said:
For the most part I agree, but the honorable mentions need to have Blake Bortles at the very top. The kid is good.

Honorable mentions need to also NOT include Alice Smith. The guy is awful.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Sac":2qecdmkj said:
Yep. He killed it for me in fantasy last year when Roethlisberger went down.

Hell I might draft him this year.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

kearly

Reaction score
Savvy move getting Bortles Tech. I got him too but it was really just dumb luck on my part.

I won my fantasy championship last year with Blake Bortles at QB, but I think he's more of a Andrew Luck type that digs himself a hole with bad play and then racks up production trying to get out of the mess he created. He's good for fantasy football (I'll probably draft him in my next fantasy draft), but at least so far he seems iffy for actual football.

I think the OP has a fair list, but it's really hard for me to rank Rodgers, Big Ben, Palmer, and Romo. When healthy, they might be the four best in football, but these days it seems like an accomplishment when they make it 16 games in one piece.

Newton deserved the MVP award last year, but it shouldn't be overlooked that his 2015 numbers are a career outlier or that he played the easiest schedule in the NFL. It's possible he turned a corner but the feeling I got from Cam last season was like the feeling I got from Adrian Beltre when he hit 48 dingers right before coming to Seattle. Adrian Beltre is hugely talented, but he's not THAT good.

I like that Wilson was #3. I feel like I could make a case for him to be #1 (given that Rodgers is really struggling to stay healthy and Brady is the oldest starting QB in the league), but it's probably still a few years too early for that.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I find it quizzical that several of you rank Palmer quite high and Dalton much lower. Palmer is as bad in the playoffs as The Ginger and they seem about equal in the regular season (quite good).

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Glad some of you put Romo on this list. If he's healthy, he's right up there with the best. With those weapons and that line, I expect a good season out of him so long as no one breathes on his collarbone.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Let me just throw these names out there: Famous Jameis Winston ... and my man Marcus Mariotta ...
I believe the writing is on the wall for these 5 QBs in 2016: Drew Brees, Big Ben, Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers and Eli Manning. Father time has arrived. Yes, they will win you some games and they will still throw for gazillion yards, but their time's up ... Teams have too much money invested in them to see the down trends. And they will continue to blame their poor performances on other parts of the team (bad defense, bad play calling, ...etc).

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":j2ghkdrk said:
Savvy move getting Bortles Tech. I got him too but it was really just dumb luck on my part.

I won my fantasy championship last year with Blake Bortles at QB, but I think he's more of a Andrew Luck type that digs himself a hole with bad play and then racks up production trying to get out of the mess he created. He's good for fantasy football (I'll probably draft him in my next fantasy draft), but at least so far he seems iffy for actual football.

I think the OP has a fair list, but it's really hard for me to rank Rodgers, Big Ben, Palmer, and Romo. When healthy, they might be the four best in football, but these days it seems like an accomplishment when they make it 16 games in one piece.

Newton deserved the MVP award last year, but it shouldn't be overlooked that his 2015 numbers are a career outlier or that he played the easiest schedule in the NFL. It's possible he turned a corner but the feeling I got from Cam last season was like the feeling I got from Adrian Beltre when he hit 48 dingers right before coming to Seattle. Adrian Beltre is hugely talented, but he's not THAT good.

I like that Wilson was #3. I feel like I could make a case for him to be #1 (given that Rodgers is really struggling to stay healthy and Brady is the oldest starting QB in the league), but it's probably still a few years too early for that.
An accomplishment to play 16 games? You serious? Just see the 1980-1990 period. Or anything before said period. That said it was the reason for the flag football we have currently and with the concussion issue it's not even the start of from what football will be in 30-40 years. Not that football will be played then but that's another topic and I'll likely be taking a dirtnap by then. So that won't be my problem.

IrishNW

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2z9r5a7t said:
kearly":2z9r5a7t said:

An accomplishment to play 16 games? You serious? Just see the 1980-1990 period. Or anything before said period. That said it was the reason for the flag football we have currently and with the concussion issue it's not even the start of from what football will be in 30-40 years. Not that football will be played then but that's another topic and I'll likely be taking a dirtnap by then. So that won't be my problem.

He was talking about those specific players making it 16 games, not QB's in general across the league

pmedic920

Reaction score
I'll say this, rank them however ya want to rank them.

For the Seahawks system @ this point in time, #3 RW is my #1 pick.

There may very well be a few better QBs, but I wouldn't trade our guy for any of them.

Yes, I took the easy way out on this :{)

LolaRox

Reaction score
Based on a number of things (past performance, age, play in big games, future projections... )

My top 10 would be similar but different order.

1. Cam - League MVP. He was phenomenal last season. His team won 15 games and he led them to a NFC championship. He was able to achieve the #1 scoring offense with Olsen, Stewart and some other dudes even after his #1 WR was lost for the season.

2. Russell - We all know what he did down the stretch, he was fantastic. After losing Graham, Lynch, and Rawls (and a suspect o-line) he elevated his team to career highs and led the league in QB rating. Russell has been on a steady climb up the QB ladder and I suspect that he will continue to grow and cement himself as an elite QB in this league.

3. Brady - no explanation required.

4. Rodgers - he is a great QB but never seems to live up to his hype when the games matter most or against top competition. He has won 3 playoff games since their SB in 2010 (7-6 overall). He lost his #1 WR and looked totally lost most of last season. He didn't elevate them in any way, in fact, they were average/below average in lots of categories.

5. Brees - He doesn't get a lot of attention because his team isn't winning games, but that is mostly due to the defense sucking at an historic level. He is still getting it done.

6 - 10. In any order -
Romo (can't stay healthy)
Palmer (don't trust him in playoffs)
Ben (always nicked up)
Dalton (playoff questions)
Eli/Rivers - I guess I'd give Eli the nod because of the rings.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
More generally I think it's much more productive to put players into "bins" rather one-by-one hierarchical rankings, but as this is a Seahawks bored and nobody cares about my musings on how things should be done, a thought on Wilson:

Where he goes in the top 10 is an incredibly interesting case.

Here's a guy who last year had one of the best half-seasons of QB play we've probably ever seen (although you have to factor in the statistical rise of QB play).

At the same time here's also a guy who also last year had a half season of very uninspiring and average QB play, and was markedly below average in his play in two playoff games too.

Basically, depending on which part of the season you look at he should either be an absolute #1 or an absolute #10.

I say put him at five not because that's right and good prediction, but because it splits the difference.

Brady, Rodgers (despite the down year), Brees still go top three based on longevity: they get those predictive spots until they prove they don't deserve them.

Newton goes #4 because had a bigger year and beat Wilson both times they played.

Wilson goes #5, which could just as easily end up being too low, too high, or just right.

This puts him over wildly talented guys with question marks such as Palmer (age, can he realy do that again?), Romo (health), and even guys who discerning critics put MUCH higher than he's usually rated (Rapeburger).

JSeahawks

Reaction score
After extensive film study and number crunching:

1. Cam newton: I hate the guy but he's the perfect qb for modern nfl.

2. Tom Brady

3. Aaron Rodgers

4. Ben roethlessberger

5. Russell Wilson: even though I have him at 5, I wouldn't trade him for any of the guys above him.

6. Eli manning

7. Tony romo

8. Regular season Carson Palmer

9. Andrew luck

10. my boy Marcus mariota, just wait til the titans put some talent around him.

Sac

Reaction score
JSeahawks":w9dtw4og said:
After extensive film study and number crunching:

1. Cam newton: I hate the guy but he's the perfect qb for modern nfl.

2. Tom Brady

3. Aaron Rodgers

4. Ben roethlessberger

5. Russell Wilson: even though I have him at 5, I wouldn't trade him for any of the guys above him.

6. Eli manning

7. Tony romo

8. Regular season Carson Palmer

9. Andrew luck

10. my boy Marcus mariota, just wait til the titans put some talent around him.
I can't put Cam at #1 with good poor leadership in the clutch.