Wow! The field is gonna match our uniforms tomorrow! So Cool! Can't wait!

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Again, this was before my time/fandom -

One thing that I do love is the font in the endzone/caps. It's just so wrong it's right.

WHAT font is it? I thought it might be straight Times New Roman - and it's close if you bold Times New Roma - but not IT.

Anyone know? Aros - you're the graphics dude -?

renofox

Reaction score
Again, this was before my time/fandom -

One thing that I do love is the font in the endzone/caps. It's just so wrong it's right.

WHAT font is it? I thought it might be straight Times New Roman - and it's close if you bold Times New Roma - but not IT.

Anyone know? Aros - you're the graphics dude -?
Palatino Bold is my guess. Haven't worked with fonts for years though.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
I'd love to go to the throwbacks on a permanent basis but the reality is, that's not going to happen because of the Nike contract. I'd like to see them 2x a year though. I can live with that.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
We could change uniforms at any time. Nike would be more than happy to have that contract.

But I like the current uniforms and I like the old uniforms (and really was never fond of the denim blues of the Holmgren era). So the best world is what we've got with throwbacks twice a year and modern uniform combinations throughout the season.

I suspect when Pete leaves and new ownership comes in, they'll probably do another redesign. In that case I'm hoping for a return to the original colors of royal blue and emerald green with silver as the highlight color.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Now plop a big concrete dome over it and it'll really feel authentic.

You mean It would really feel retro.

This is actually more authentic, in that if the Kingdome were still around it would probably have about the same amount of roof as Lumen. ;)

LastRideOut

Reaction score
We could change uniforms at any time. Nike would be more than happy to have that contract.

But I like the current uniforms and I like the old uniforms (and really was never fond of the denim blues of the Holmgren era). So the best world is what we've got with throwbacks twice a year and modern uniform combinations throughout the season.

I suspect when Pete leaves and new ownership comes in, they'll probably do another redesign. In that case I'm hoping for a return to the original colors of royal blue and emerald green with silver as the highlight color.

I was referring to the contract that the NFL has with Nike. One of the stipulations, I'm guessing, probably refers to the uniforms that were designed by Nike, like the current Seahawks unis, being the exclusive team uniform for a set period of time.

Not saying that is the case. I just wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Been waiting for the retros game for a long time. Only thing that'll be a little weird is today's NFL helmets having angles and vents as opposed to the pre-2000s completely round and smooth helmets. Not a big deal, but I expect that'll be pretty noticeable to those of use who watched a lot of Seahawks in the 70s 80s and 90s.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
You mean It would really feel retro.

This is actually more authentic, in that if the Kingdome were still around it would probably have about the same amount of roof as Lumen. ;)
I wasn't around then as a fan - but I've always wondered: "Why isn't the stadium enclosed?".

Seems like if I was building something in Seattle and, perhaps wanted to host a superbowl, that I'd have made it covered.

I'm sure there's a reason for it - I just don't know what it is.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I wasn't around then as a fan - but I've always wondered: "Why isn't the stadium enclosed?".

Seems like if I was building something in Seattle and, perhaps wanted to host a superbowl, that I'd have made it covered.

I'm sure there's a reason for it - I just don't know what it is.
Hey your from Canada.. why didn't they do that for cfl stadiums too? I've been in Regina for a winter game...it was awful lol.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Hey your from Canada.. why didn't they do that for cfl stadiums too? I've been in Regina for a winter game...it was awful lol.
Cash. I think for the majority of CFL teams, the cash just wasn't there to build enclosed. Like, you wanna build a 1.5 BB dollar stadium in Hamilton Ontario? Not gonna happen.

Shit - here in Calgary - McMahon stadium is circa 1960. The flames are getting a new stadium here, and I 'thought' the Stampeders were playing as part of it - but my google searching is not conclusive on this one. Even if they do get to play in the new digs - HOCKEY, not CFL is the reason our new stadium is getting built.

The CFL is on life support from what I can tell. I'll have to google it, but I 'think' BC might be the only covered stadium. Without TSN (canadian sports channel) revenue - I'm quite sure the league would be bankrupt. The Toronto Argonauts used to play in the covered Rogers Centre - but they don't anymore. I think some games here only had like 2000 people or less attending at best this year.

To your point: There are a breed of Canadian CFL fans that pride themselves on being 'hardy'. Like -30 is no big deal. I'm not one of those people. 0C/32F is about the limit for me. They take their heated seating pads, and booze-filled thermoses that are slightly flavoured with hot chocolate and tough it out (not that there's anything wrong with that). So, generally whether a venue is 'covered' or uncovered here doesn't seem to be the rate controlling step for attendance.

We're nuts. The Hockey Classic thing up here that's purposely outdoors is some huge big event. Meh. I don't wanna freeze to death out there.

And if you've been in Regina in the winter - well, football might not be your biggest problem ;) ;) Wearing a hollowed out watermelon on your head at -30 degrees would be a problem ;)