Would Seattle consider signing Jarryd Hayne??

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":1hu7xa6p said:
So he's just a guy. Got it.

For now anyway.

Maybe he really works at it all offseason and comes to camp a completely different player. Dunno. Right now he looks like what he is...a rugby player with pads. He doesn't look like an NFL player.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I would add him to our practice squad, but I doubt we will get the chance (2nd to last in the pecking order). Anyone Tomsula (and/or Marvin) thinks is terrible is probably pretty good, and vice versa.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
UnknownSelfreliantBlesbok

PhysicalRequiredCougar

BogusImpressionableAmericanrobin

VerifiableSimplisticKagu

ConsciousAmpleHyracotherium

DefenselessFabulousBengaltiger

VillainousTastyFrilledlizard.gif

UnhappyVigilantBuck

LightConsiderateAntbear

GrimFatalKookaburra

WillingPastLamprey

LeadingMisguidedIslandwhistler

WateryColorlessHagfish

BriskImmaculateAstrangiacoral

NextNiceDevilfish

DefinitivePopularBushsqueaker

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":yvwd4d8l said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/49ers/status/660546800382775297[/tweet]
Interesting. Moral of the story I guess is don't by fringe players jerseys???

OP
OP
D

devilz

Reaction score
Fingers crossed that Pete Carroll and management can work out something to get Jarryd on the roster in the near future. I would love to see him here!

drrew

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3kjjydj5 said:
I would add him to our practice squad, but I doubt we will get the chance (2nd to last in the pecking order). Anyone Tomsula (and/or Marvin) thinks is terrible is probably pretty good, and vice versa.

If he doesn't get claimed, it will be his choice to choose which practice squad he wants to join. If we didn't have Lockett, I'd love to see the Hawks make a claim and put him on the active roster.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/karenlsweeney/status/660563081488035840[/tweet]

Entire continent of Australia officially not rooting for the 49ers now.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/karenlsweeney/status/660552071343529984[/tweet]

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I want him here, love his physical running style. I know he still has alot to learn but he showed great potential.

Marvin49

Reaction score
If he clears waivers, he'll be back on the practice squad...which is where he belonged in the first place.

With Hyde hurt, they need legit RBs on the roster. Gaskins (who they promoted) isn't a star by any stretch, but at least he's played RB his whole life and won't get the QB killed.

I'd be surprised if Seattle claimed him to active roster as I don't know where they'd put him and who'd they'd release. Lions? Maybe...dunno that roster well enough.

My guess is he's a 49er again on Tues, but possible someone grabs him.

OP
OP
D

devilz

Reaction score
Is there room for him to be on our Practice Squad?

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
For those of you who haven't seen some of his highlights:

Preseason - he ripped it up in preseason.

https://youtu.be/b93PkYhRZOc

National Rugby League (a professional rugby league in Australia) - note, they play "rugby league" there, which is a different code than rugby union, which is referred to as simply "rugby" in most circles:

https://youtu.be/yItnEVoD0VQ

Couldn't find one single video with all his highlights, but In regular season he averaged 3.1 yds/carry on 8 carries, 7 yds on 1 reception, and 9.5 yards/punt return on 8 returns.

Dude had some drops in the regular season...but not necessarily because he was playing against regular season NFL'ers, more because:

1st drop: he attempted to catch a punt which he misjudged due to a high kick in SF swirling winds. Not much was mentioned about why it happened in the press, and also apparently that was the first drop the coaches had seen of him since he joined the team. This is his only turnover

https://youtu.be/8r7pSBccAB0

2nd drop: This drop was due to his own teammate backing into him as he was making a fair catch. 49ers recovered.

https://youtu.be/-GWT8qyyxyc

3rd drop: lack of awareness of defence pursuit. Bad rookie play - needs to protect the ball better.

https://youtu.be/fawNtRV7xTY

In all his rugby career, in training camp and in preseason he never even hinted having a problem with drops. I think that these drops are simply a fluke and not the norm for this guy. His hands are spectacular.

Marvin49

Reaction score
devilz":22woidfo said:
Is there room for him to be on our Practice Squad?

Doesn't work that way.

In order to sign a player to the practice squad, he needs to become a free agent. He is currently on waivers which means every team in the NFL will have a chance to claim him, but if they do he goes on the Active Roster. To move him to practice squad, they'd have to then release him...

...which is precisely the reason the 49ers released him on a Saturday. Its harder to put a player on the active roster on a gameday. The whole point was to try and sneak Hayne through waivers so that they could put him on the practice squad.

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
Just reading an article from a sports writer of the San Francisco Examiner. He's speculating that he may have been cut due to unrest in the locker room...that the players might have been upset that a foreigner who had never played the game before was taking a roster spot:

"Hayne release...his gain, 49ers loss"

http://www.sfexaminer.com/hayne-release ... 9ers-loss/

"By most accounts, Hayne was popular among his teammates, but if you read between the lines, the coaches had some concern about potential unrest in the locker room. Hey, if you had played football for years, then all of a sudden, some foreigner with no football experience is brought in to compete at your position, how would you feel?

One play stood out more than any. After a long punt return, which turned out to be his one shining moment in the regular season, Hayne clearly was stoked on the sideline. At that point, one expected somebody to come over and pat him on the fanny at least. Except that his teammates ignored him.

The truth is, this may be the best thing that happens to Hayne and his football career. The 49ers could re-sign him to their practice squad, but too many teams are interested for him not to be claimed. The NFC West rival Seahawks are said to be one of them. He piqued their interest in a visit to Seattle late last season."

Alot of the sportswriters and fan base are upset with him being cut. Also Roger Craig is already popping off about how upset he is too.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":9upkn1jz said:
Just reading an article from a sports writer of the San Francisco Examiner. He's speculating that he may have been cut due to unrest in the locker room...that the players might have been upset that a foreigner who had never played the game before was taking a roster spot:

"By most accounts, Hayne was popular among his teammates, but if you read between the lines, the coaches had some concern about potential unrest in the locker room. Hey, if you had played football for years, then all of a sudden, some foreigner with no football experience is brought in to compete at your position, how would you feel?

One play stood out more than any. After a long punt return, which turned out to be his one shining moment in the regular season, Hayne clearly was stoked on the sideline. At that point, one expected somebody to come over and pat him on the fanny at least. Except that his teammates ignored him.

The truth is, this may be the best thing that happens to Hayne and his football career. The 49ers could re-sign him to their practice squad, but too many teams are interested for him not to be claimed. The NFC West rival Seahawks are said to be one of them. He piqued their interest in a visit to Seattle late last season."

Alot of the sportswriters and fan base are upset with him being cut. Also Roger Craig is already popping off about how upset he is too.

That article is a joke. Lol.

"If you read between the lines". That's comical. That's the writer using creative license to tell the story he wants to tell.

Hayne isn't a good NFL running back right now. 49ers just lost their #1 RB for possibly upwards of a month. They need a back with experience so they activated one from the practice squad and released the one with little experience in the homes if signing him to the practice squad. That stuff happens every single day during the season. The only diff is this guy is famous for playing another sport. That's it. He's not a good position player right now. I said that BEFORE he was released.

I gotta tell ya...the reactions to Hayne being released are the reasons why even I can't stand Niner fans sometimes.

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
Marvin49":300mc239 said:
Vancanhawksfan":300mc239 said:

"If you read between the lines". That's comical. That's the writer using creative license to tell the story he wants to tell.

Hayne isn't a good NFL running back right now. 49ers just lost their #1 RB for possibly upwards of a month. They need a back with experience so they activated one from the practice squad and released the one with little experience in the homes if signing him to the practice squad. That stuff happens every single day during the season. The only diff is this guy is famous for playing another sport. That's it. He's not a good position player right now. I said that BEFORE he was released.

I gotta tell ya...the reactions to Hayne being released are the reasons why even I can't stand Niner fans sometimes.

He looked pretty good in preseason. Obviously he needs some coaching but to say he's not a good running back right now sounds like you're completely dismissing what he's shown - both in production and potential

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I wouldnt touch him with a barge pole, he's a gimmick player.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":583fliv0 said:
Marvin49":583fliv0 said:
Vancanhawksfan":583fliv0 said:

He looked pretty good in preseason. Obviously he needs some coaching but to say he's not a good running back right now sounds like you're completely dismissing what he's shown - both in production and potential

If you think he's looked good as a RB then you don't know what you're watching or you aren't really watching.

The dude runs WAY, WAY to high. He tries to get lower, but it's totally unnatural. He hesitates to find his lane and isn't smooth by any stretch. He's obviously thinking too much...which is to be expected of a guy who is just learning to play the game. He had some long runs in the preseason, but they were through holes you could drive a tank through.

To give him credit, there are some things he does well. He's very good at making the first man miss despite appearing to be a bit slow footed (lack of lateral speed). He is pretty good when he can get into the open field, tho not a burner.

If you can get him in open spaces, he's a threat. The problem is that doesn't happen all that much as a RB unless you can get through the LOS. As a returner tho, he was/is much more likely to find those spaces and that's why I think he may have a future there.

Its possible that with another year of coaching he can be a much better RB. The guy is an athlete...but he ain't there right now.

I keep reading (particularly from people from Australia) how the Niners disrespected him and how he should go to a team that appreciates him. That's freakin ludicrous. He's competing against guys who have been playing RB their entire lives. Thinking he's been disrespected because they want to move him to their practice squad is disrespectful to al the men who have been working at it all their lives.

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
Marvin49":h017co7y said:
Vancanhawksfan":h017co7y said:
Marvin49":h017co7y said:
Vancanhawksfan":h017co7y said:

If you think he's looked good as a RB then you don't know what you're watching or you aren't really watching.

The dude runs WAY, WAY to high. He tries to get lower, but it's totally unnatural. He hesitates to find his lane and isn't smooth by any stretch. He's obviously thinking too much...which is to be expected of a guy who is just learning to play the game. He had some long runs in the preseason, but they were through holes you could drive a tank through.

To give him credit, there are some things he does well. He's very good at making the first man miss despite appearing to be a bit slow footed (lack of lateral speed). He is pretty good when he can get into the open field, tho not a burner.

If you can get him in open spaces, he's a threat. The problem is that doesn't happen all that much as a RB unless you can get through the LOS. As a returner tho, he was/is much more likely to find those spaces and that's why I think he may have a future there.

Its possible that with another year of coaching he can be a much better RB. The guy is an athlete...but he ain't there right now.

I keep reading (particularly from people from Australia) how the Niners disrespected him and how he should go to a team that appreciates him. That's freakin ludicrous. He's competing against guys who have been playing RB their entire lives. Thinking he's been disrespected because they want to move him to their practice squad is disrespectful to al the men who have been working at it all their lives.

Way to be totally condescending. There are LOTS of running backs who have done outstanding work running in an upright fashion. Eric Dickerson was one...geezus, not everyone runs like Barry Sanders. Seattle fans will be very familiar with an upright runner that produced very well here which is Shaun Alexander. Hayne reminds me alot of him except that Hayne would be a far tougher version of Alexander with a killer straight-arm - Hayne HATES running out of bounds (if you've seen his highlights you will see times where he is heading to the sideline with players in pursuit, and then right at the sideline stops, turns infield and tries to truck the tacklers without being forced out of bounds. That's his rugby training because in rugby if a player carries the ball out of bounds it results in a turnover to the other team. I love that in him). Hayne is a slippery, elusive big man who always makes the first guy miss and moves much faster than he appears to be. He doesn't dip, cut and jitterbug as much as he will make one juke and then slide through the space.

Guys like you are all worried that his upright style leaves him open to getting smashed. The problem is that he's proving that he seems to be just fine taking the hits - and for the most part he eludes the big hits. And when he goes into a tackle he does manage to get his pad level low before contact. So what really is your problem here then if his production is there? In the few opportunities he's had he has demonstrated that he can power through tacklers as well like he did against the Cardinals on his 8 yard red zone run and in the goal line drills in pre-season against the 49ers 1st string defense.

And don't forget...SF runs in a zone blocking scheme. He was being trained to pause and allow a hole to open up before running straight into the line of scrimmage. I think guys like you would argue that his production comes from great big gaping holes that anyone could run through when I think its because he allows holes to open up before he dives right in - completely opposite to Mike Davis, Kendall Hunter and Kendall Gaskins who panic and run straight into the backs of their offensive linemen as soon as they get the ball. And that SF line is absolutely horrific...of course he's not going to dive straight in if there's nothing there because he has vision. Please note that every other running back not named Hyde in that organization is averaging less than 2 yds/carry.

But you would rather see him running cone drills and rope ladders better rather than putting up yards on the field because that's what NFL runners are supposed to do...amirite? :roll:

Guys like you are more worried that he's only shown brilliance in preseason against "2nd stringers and guys that get cut and are no longer in the league". THE GUY HAD NEVER STRAPPED ON PADS AND A HELMET IN HIS LIFE, AND IN HIS FIRST GAME OF ORGANIZED FOOTBALL AT ANY LEVEL HE IS RIPPING IT UP AGAINST PROFESSIONALS. Would you rather that he had a resume and massive statistics running against teenage children in schools like Appalachian State, Vanderbilt and the University of Miami, Ohio before you recognize a guy's potential?!?! It always blows me away when people say "it was only preseason"?!?! He was running up his stats against grown men - NFL professionals...not your cousin and chumps who went to your high school!! Yet fans are always ready to give the keys to the city to kids who have played for only 2 years running up gaudy statistics at a college level against...other children?!?! Boggles my mind.

Did he look polished? No, of course not...but he improves every week and you can see every week he gets his pad levels lower. Did he miss a block? Yeah...he might have missed one or two. But you can look at every play ever run in the NFL and find players that miss a block on each down. So why is he getting picked on when he misses one? (because he's the guy that's never played...easy scapegoat)

Of course he still needs to learn. But he produced, and in the end that is the main thing that matters. And he did it without knowing jack sh1t and walking into a massive cluster@#$@ of a situation in SF where no one knows what they are doing from the front office to the coaching staff to the horrific offensive line that can't block their way through a soggy paper bag.

"Don't know what I'm watching"?!?! GTFO. I'd trust Roger Craig and Ricky Watter's opinions - guys that are screaming for the 49ers to let Hayne play more - than you. I'd bet that they know what their watching.