Worst QB in franchise history?

Worst QB in franchise history (who actually played)?

• Dan McGwire

Votes: 39 48.1%
  • Stan Gelbaugh

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Rick Mirer

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Kelly Stouffer

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other (who and why)

Votes: 5 6.2%

• Total voters

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I went with Mirer because none of the others had long enough of a tenure to really make us suffer.

My thoughts exactly. He got 4 years as a starter.

I don't like considering the whole "what did we get for him" angle, because if we're going to down that path, then there's all kinds of extra variables that lead to everything that's happened to the franchise.

Without Mirer, perhaps Flores doesn't get fired when he does, and we keep him. So then maybe Erickson never happens. Maybe Holmgren doesn't either. Thats why I don't go down that path. Just rate the player based on how good he was, and leave the butterfly effect out of it.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Geno is nowwhere near those on the list. Geno may not be our savior long term...who the hell knows, but he has put up highly respectable #'s and provides leadership that none off those others came close to.

I really liked Mirer...until I didn't. And that took a while...I was always thinking he and the team would progress out of that time. What a sad string of mediocre seasons. But not the worst QB in our history.

Gelbaugh, Stauffer & McGwire have all blended into the same QB for me over the years. I never want to go back to that. It was dreadful, painful and made me want to be like other teams.

How fortunate we were with Hass, Russ & Geno for a decent period of time. All had their challenges, but all were/are top 10-15 QB's playing for us.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I don't think Brock Huard was the worst QB in team history, but he certainly belongs in the conversation. Holmgren loved him and did everything possible to make him the 'guy', and it was just an abject failure.

My opinion for real: Stan Gelbaugh was just a backup who was forced to play so not really fair to name him as the worst. Mirer actually played OK for a bit so I think he's a hair better than McGwire and Stouffer. The real answer is one of those two guys and I think it's a tie.

silvergun

Reaction score
Can’t say for certain if he was the worst but Charlie Whitehurst drove me absolutely insane. I hated that dude.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I don't think Brock Huard was the worst QB in team history, but he certainly belongs in the conversation. Holmgren loved him and did everything possible to make him the 'guy', and it was just an abject failure.

My opinion for real: Stan Gelbaugh was just a backup who was forced to play so not really fair to name him as the worst. Mirer actually played OK for a bit so I think he's a hair better than McGwire and Stouffer. The real answer is one of those two guys and I think it's a tie.
Yea...Holmie had a chub for Huard and I never got it. He jettisoned Kitna for him, which never made sense to me. Kitna went on to have a highly respectable career and Huard had 6 starts, 4TD and 2INT.

I always had a homer appreciation for Kitna and would've liked to see what Holmgren could have done with him. JK wouldn't take his lowball starter offer (rightfully so) and it peeved the walrus. We ended up with Hass, so it all worked out.

Last edited:

Optimus25

Reaction score
Charlie Whitehurst was god awful. I've never seen a short sideline throw result in being launched nearly into the stands. God he sucked.
Any Qb who wins a regular season finale that’s win and in for both teams simply cannot fit the category of the OP.

xray

Reaction score
It's Rick Mirer for me . But you have to give him credit for making bad look good sometimes . ;)

Spohawks

Reaction score
Trent Dilfer
More INTs then TDs with the Hawks. Had a career low of 44.1% completion one year and when the Hawks started him at the start of the season, he came up with 56%.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I remember Frye if you remember Taco Wallace.
I was excited about Frye coming to Seattle. Not my finest moment.

The first time I saw Macklemore in the Thrift Shop video, I said, "thaf**K" is Charlie Frye doing rapping?

Hawkamaniac

Reaction score
McGwire. Mentioned a couple times already, but the coaching staff preferred Favre.

So, on top of being awful, Bash-Bro Bro cost us a HoFer.

Here’s a cool article from Sando on the topic:

Film12Hawk

Reaction score
I went with Mirer because none of the others had long enough of a tenure to really make us suffer.

Mirer was great until the NFL figured out he was only capable of throwing to one side of the field. Then he was god awful and the torture just went on and on, with the coaching staff wanting to "fix" him. There's a reason he never went on to any success elsewhere after.
Rick Mirer gave us Walter Jones. So not all bad!

olyfan63

Reaction score
Can’t say for certain if he was the worst but Charlie Whitehurst drove me absolutely insane. I hated that dude.
Clipboard Jesus had that end-of-half TD pass when the other team forgot to cover so I give him a pass.
Also I think Charlie won the must-win game that got the Hawks into the dance and allowed Beastquake to happen.

I respect your viewpoint but I can't work up any level of hate for Clipboard Jesus. Same thing for Gelbaugh, he was a backup who was bad, but we only had him out there because everyone else was either injured or sucked even worse.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Ya, if cost counts, it's McGwire. I read somewhere that Knox lobbied hard for Favre, and when McGwire was selected, Knox muttered something to the effect of, "there goes my job."
That's exactly what happened.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Anyone who had watched the WLAF with Stan Gelbaugh as a star attraction knew he wasn’t the answer when he arrived Seattle.

Compounding things, Larry Kennan, his former WLAF coach, joined him as OC under Flores. It was doomed from the start. Kennan was once asked what his philosophy was for third down situations. His answer?
“Try and get half of it”

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Yea...Holmie had a chub for Huard and I never got it. He jettisoned Kitna for him, which never made sense to me. Kitna went on to have a highly respectable career and Huard had 6 starts, 4TD and 2INT.

I always had a homer appreciation for Kitna and would've liked to see what Holmgren could have done with him. JK wouldn't take his lowball starter offer (rightfully so) and it peeved the walrus. We ended up with Hass, so it all worked out.
Hasn't it been alluded to that Holmgren and Huard fell out or something. Salk mentioned that Holmgren tried to ruin his career randomly but didn't give any context to it.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
The return we got back for Mirer in that trade eliminates him as the worst.
This begs the question of intent. Did the OP intend the question to be the worst QB draft, QB trade or QB contract? Or, as seemingly implied, if the OP intended for it to be based solely on field performance.

Last edited:

nanomoz

Reaction score
This begs the question of intent. Did the OP intend the question to be the worst QB draft, QB trade or QB contract? Or as seemingly implied, if the OP intended for it to be based solely on field performance.
Rubric! Rubric! Rubric!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
True, but Favre was a 2nd round pick. Pretty much every team passed on him.

This and he didn't even start his rookie year in Atlanta. It wasn't until Holmgren benched Majkowski for Favre to get a chance. Bringing up Favre is just hindsight. Nobody could have predicted he was going to become what he did.