With Harvin Playing...

With Harvin playing, my confidence level is now:

• 100% that we win, thank GOD for Harvin!

Votes: 22 10.8%
  • MUCH higher.

Votes: 105 51.7%
  • I feel just as confident with him as without him.

Votes: 62 30.5%
  • Doesn't change my confidence level either way.

Votes: 14 6.9%

• Total voters

Exittium

Reaction score
I said 100% to make my confidence boost up to 200%

dbsn2420

Reaction score
Much higher for me. With PH on the field, on this Saints secondary, opens up the field for everyone. Add him in on KO returns, honestly, I'm feeling like this could be another 40 or 50 burger.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hawk-A-Loogie":27daao17 said:
I hope we just don't game plan around him cus we been doing good so far.

Really ? We've dropped from 26 ppg to 19 ppg over the last 4 games of the season (includes the Rams game). That's doing good ?

They probably have already been looking at some Harvin packages/options, so my initial feeling that they broke the news too quickly probably won't matter much. That said, I'd like to see Harvin just run the regular offense. Save the tricks for the NFCCG and the SB.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Hawks46":ztbodbjo said:
Hawk-A-Loogie":ztbodbjo said:
I hope we just don't game plan around him cus we been doing good so far.

Really ? We've dropped from 26 ppg to 19 ppg over the last 4 games of the season (includes the Rams game). That's doing good ?

They probably have already been looking at some Harvin packages/options, so my initial feeling that they broke the news too quickly probably won't matter much. That said, I'd like to see Harvin just run the regular offense. Save the tricks for the NFCCG and the SB.

The Hawks have gone up against 3 of the most physical defenses in the league to end the season. Taking a sample from that stretch is not representative of how the offense plays against a team like the Saints.

Look, people can try to find a reason why the Hawks aren't good or why they should be worried. None of those stats matter on Saturday. Before the Monday night game against NOLA all the same stats were mentioned to paint a picture of an evenly matched game. You can't measure intensity of playing at the Clink.

Harvin is going to tip the scales every play he is on the field. He doesn't have to develop a finesse timing rapport or anything like that, he only needs to get the ball in his hands and draw coverage. I promise that with Harvin on the field that others will benefit greatly.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He's a great player, and he helps our depth. If he can stay healthy, things won't be catastrophic if one of our other receivers goes down. That and his return ability are the most meaningful things he's adding.

Other than that, I'm not sure what people are actually expecting him to do out there. Objectively speaking, the impact one receiver has on any single game can vary wildly, even guys who are healthy and elite. We saw him be a factor in a game against Minnesota, but they have the 31st ranked secondary in the NFL. The Saints have played a healthy and in-rhythm Harvin a few times previously and have neutralized him every time.

Obviously, I'm hoping for the best. But this sort of feels like the Bruce Irvin situation where everyone just assumed our pass rush would be an unstoppable force once he came back from suspension. In actuality, he settled into a more traditional LB role (and has played really well) and our pass rush has remained pretty much the same (since the beginning of the season). There is utterly no precedent for a player missing an entire NFL season and then tearing through the playoffs. It's just never happened. Mitch and Holmgren both said they've never seen that happen before.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I just hope he does something to help get our offense get out of the funk its in.

formido

Reaction score
DavidSeven":xv7hmuox said:
He's a great player, and he helps our depth. If he can stay healthy, things won't be catastrophic if one of our other receivers goes down. That and his return ability are the most meaningful things he's adding.

Other than that, I'm not sure what people are actually expecting him to do out there. Objectively speaking, the impact one receiver has on any single game can vary wildly, even guys who are healthy and elite. We saw him be a factor in a game against Minnesota, but they have the 31st ranked secondary in the NFL. The Saints have played a healthy and in-rhythm Harvin a few times previously and have neutralized him every time.

Obviously, I'm hoping for the best. But this sort of feels like the Bruce Irvin situation where everyone just assumed our pass rush would be an unstoppable force once he came back from suspension. In actuality, he settled into a more traditional LB role (and has played really well) and our pass rush has remained pretty much the same (since the beginning of the season). There is utterly no precedent for a player missing an entire NFL season and then tearing through the playoffs. It's just never happened. Mitch and Holmgren both said they've never seen that happen before.

Individual receiver impact is high variance for a game. That's also true of every other player and factor involved in football game outcomes. We're expecting him to increase our odds of having a great outcome in proportion to his excellence as a football player. That's worth a lot.

Previous Saints teams having nothing to do with this game. Seattle is #7 in offensive DVOA without Harvin. Harvin will only help.

There's no precedent for this because it's extremely rare for an MVP caliber player to arrive only in time for the play-offs.

Harvin played in a game this year. The difference was clear. We aren't crazy or overreacting.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3340drrd said:
I just hope he does something to help get our offense get out of the funk its in.
That's a done deal with him our return game game goes from average to likely the league's best and he demands that coverage will be slid to him whether or not he actually catches a ball.That opens up everything else. You saw Minnesota so I am not seeing things or overreacting.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Aren't the 3rd and 4th options pretty much the same thing?

- I feel just as confident with him as without him.

- Doesn't change my confidence level either way.

I had to vote I feel just as confident with him as without him, since I don't feel "Much higher".

My true feelings are "Slightly Higher". I already felt we have a great chance to win without him so I can't quite say much higher. He could be great or he could be limited in his plays, or even fail a play with a fumble, etc. Only time will tell.

kearly

Reaction score
Option 2.5 for me. If we were playing SF this week, I would have said it was a much bigger deal. But the Saints defense provided no real resistance last time and that was not only without Harvin but since that game the Saints have lost potentially two important defenders in their back seven. I would be a little surprised if Harvin's presence ended up being the difference between winning and losing this week.

Now, vs. Carolina or SF in the NFCCG, that's a game where having Harvin could be huge.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
We already have arguably the best team in the league.
Now, add the most dangerous player on any team
still available in the playoffs.

Something has to seriously go wrong to derail this train.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1tgugahu said:

Well then, we better just pack it all away until next year because Mitch and Holmgren have spoken. ;) Holmgren would have never drafted Russell Wilson and many other players we have now. He would also be trying to get rid of most of our roster because they don't fit in his system. I have confidence that our coaching staff will find a way for him to contribute, even if it's only with kickoff returns and drawing extra attention. He's a good blocker as well, so it's difficult to imagine how he could NOT help us out. We are not talking about some guy with a narrowly-defined skillset. The dude can literally line up anywhere and play with impact.

BASF

Reaction score
Steelheadin360":1hofiu06 said:
I do like the fact that he has only played a few plays with the Hawks. The Saints D coordinator has no idea what the are gonna do with him on the field, which adds an element of surprise, making the Saints a little more nervous about coming to Seattle.

Do I think we have a better chance at winning now? I had no doubt we were going to lose in the first place

We have gotten this far without him, but its a nice bullet to have in the chamber.

You really have no doubt we are going to lose or was that a typo?

themunn

Reaction score
I was 100% confident we'd win without Harvin
Now I'm still 100% confident we'll win, but the margin of victory will be higher