Wilson has signed a deal with seattle seahawks!!!!!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":3isleiyf said:
Sgt. Largent":3isleiyf said:
HawkRiderFan":3isleiyf said:
In a perfect world Pete decides that with Russ getting more money he has to shoulder more of the load. No, I am not saying abandon the establish the run philosophy, I am just saying be more flexible. I'm talking about how they crossed up everyone by throwing deep late vs KC when everyone expected them to run the ball and work the clock.

In a situation like Dallas once it's obvious the run holes are not there, say screw it, put the game in the hands of your elite QB. If anyone here follows Warren Sharp he's a big Wilson fan and breaks down the numbers supporting how good he is.

We had a 14-10 lead going into the 4th quarter. Why do you think Russell shouldering more of the load would have helped more than the defense doing their job?

Offense is about what it's always been about, balance. So yes, I think even Pete would admit he'd like more balance than the 56% run vs pass of last year.

So just because we're paying Russell more, doesn't mean we change our entire offensive philosophy............because that takes away from what Russell does best. Protect the ball, play action, be EXTREMELY efficient and make explosive plays in the 2nd halves of games.

Our recipe works.

- draft defense
- nasty run game
- use Russell to his strengths

Nothing's changed, other than John and Pete's margin for error in drafting and acquiring players.

Re. the bolded - Based on how effective Russ was passing the ball that day, I think it's reasonable to assume the team could have put more than 14 points up by that point in the game. 14 points 50 min into the game is not something to jump up and down about. If we adjust our plays to what's working and say have 21 points on the board, maybe Dallas can't stay with Elliott running the ball, forcing the game into Prescott's hands.
Recall I did not say change our philosophy. I am saying be open to Plan B when Plan a is not working, especially when you have a QB perfectly capable of executing Plan B

Russell was 18-27 with one TD in that game, and was like 3-8 in the first quarter with a negative eight yard pass.

Yes, when we went into two minute mode, he made some passes downfield. But this notion that if we just unleashed Russell it'd result in more wins is a head scratcher.

Again, balance is the key, and the lack of it was a big factor in the Dallas playoff game. But if you watch that game again, the biggest thing you'd notice is Dallas whipped our asses, we looked tired and slow, they did not not.

Balance, win the physicality battle, punish on both sides of the ball. That's how we win. It's not have Russell run around more and risk getting hammered.

Rocket

Reaction score
Largent80":1m6y7rvp said:
We're fans. Experts like J.S. will handle the cap. They were smart enough to keep RW through his prime, and have been smart enough to keep us incredibly competitive in spite of a few costly trades.

If you don't trust them by now then maybe you should quit.
Damn Bro, wheredja go?

Great news. Think he'd be up for a donation? A measly 5%

Love ya :)

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Tical21":2qabdzjb said:
Sgt. Largent":2qabdzjb said:
Not sure how you can be anything other than happy about this.

- got our franchise QB for another 5 years
- Russell's just entering his prime
- This deal actually saves us another 7M off the cap for 2019
- Nothing was tied to the salary cap or fully guaranteed

Win, win, win and win. Good job Pete and John, and Russell.
Because we just committed franchise suicide, jumping off the cliff with the rest of the lemmings?

Much easier to pay a franchise QB and hope to hit on defensive studs in the draft. Paying a defense and hoping to hit on a QB in the draft is a great way to win a SB but very challenging. The Seahawks tried that unsuccessfully for 35 years. Miami has been trying that since Marino retired. Cleveland has been trying that for their entire existence.

Lots of teams have franchise QB's on second or third contracts making the SB. NE, DEN, ATL, CAR, NYG, PITT. Lots of teams with franchise QB's on rookie deals too.

What is Franchise suicide is having a crap QB on any deal. Not many teams like that making the SB. The Dilfer's, Flaccos, Johnsons of the world are a lot rarer.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":6wyxklrz said:
4 years, 140 million??????????????????????????????????????????

God, he had better start farting Superbowl rings...

Only way we're going get one with that salary cap hit.
Yeah..It's the Seattle Wilson'$ now..

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Seymour":13pbhak5 said:
Spin Doctor":13pbhak5 said:
This deal was a mistake.

That post must be as well. :roll:

Most people disagree and this is exactly why.....

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000001025270
Are you ready for some mediocre Seahawks football? I know I am!

I don’t give a flying crap about Russ’s TD percentage. What I do care about is the fact that we have one of the worst offensive schemes in the league. What I do care about is our team seems more concerned with “winning their way” than winning. We passed less than ANY team last year, yet we’re giving our signal caller the largest contract ever. Moreover that money is not front loaded, it’s a huge burden each year.

We won the SuperBowl by having a loaded team with young talent, almost all of them were still in their rookie contracts. That is how we amassed such a great team. Russ is a good QB, but he is also a boat anchor at the moment with that salary, combined with the way Pete runs his offense.

All I can say is we’re not going to even touch the Super Bowl in these five years unless something drastic changes with the next CBA.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Tical21":x90t8dbs said:
MontanaHawk05":x90t8dbs said:
Tical21":x90t8dbs said:
If there were ANY examples of a QB breaking the bank and winning a Super Bowl, I'd be all-in. Russ is great. But there isn't a single one. It has never happened.

Your criteria are nearly worthless. There are kind of a number of factors going into winning a Super Bowl. It makes no sense to judge the contract like this.
Best rosters win Super Bowls. And we will not have one of the best rosters when paying a QB that much money, period.
So the New England Patriots had the best roster last year? Top to bottom better than the Rams? Nope not even close. They won because they have the best QB and the best Coach.

Seymour

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":ulh0z3w2 said:
Seymour":ulh0z3w2 said:
Spin Doctor":ulh0z3w2 said:
This deal was a mistake.

I don’t give a flying crap about Russ’s TD percentage
. What I do care about is the fact that we have one of the worst offensive schemes in the league. What I do care about is our team seems more concerned with “winning their way” than winning. We passed less than ANY team last year, yet we’re giving our signal caller the largest contract ever. Moreover that money is not front loaded, it’s a huge burden each year.

We won the SuperBowl by having a loaded team with young talent, almost all of them were still in their rookie contracts. That is how we amassed such a great team. Russ is a good QB, but he is also a boat anchor at the moment with that salary, combined with the way Pete runs his offense.

All I can say is we’re not going to even touch the Super Bowl in these five years unless something drastic changes with the next CBA.

Click the damn link!!
That was one of 6 league leading stats Wilson is responsible for.
I actually agree that Pete will not get $35M out of him. But he is even more screwed without him also!
I heard the Rams are looking for fans. :snack:

camdawg

Reaction score
Tical21":1yiyp88o said:
SoulfishHawk":1yiyp88o said:
Is that so Tical? You post and tell me to not put words in your mouth. And in the same post you tell me that I'm saying Screw The Hawks??? Holy hell you are a trip man. I have never missed a Hawks game in their entire existence, been going to games since 79, have been a STH for 27 years. I have never once been anything but 100 percent for this team, thru thick and a lot of thin. You have zero idea what you're talking about if you actually think I would ever say screw the Hawks. You're just pissed off because you wanted so desperately to see Russ gone.
You just did. I want Russ here badly, at a contract that will allow us to win championships. I do not want him here if it means we cannot win championships.

If we do not win a championship in the next 4 years, can you consider this contract a success?

We had the best roster in the NFL when we signed him last time, and that went away quickly. The best rosters in the NFL win championships, moreso than the best quarterbacks. And we just doubled down. It's suicide.

Who could we NOT afford when Russell signed his last deal? Bruce Irvin, and......................and.............and..........

Wagner's extension came after Russell's. Chancellor's last extension came after Russell.

Frankly, had we not wasted money on Percy Harvin, would we have needed to decline extending ANYONE??

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Steve2222":1qlqeaed said:
It really shouldn’t be a controversial opinion anymore but Russell Wilson is the best QB in the NFL. What other QB continues to produce at such a high rate with so little talent around him? Both with coaching and playmakers?

Broken Aaron Rodgers at this point is not better than Wilson

Man I’d love to see the damage Wilson could do playing in a dome with Alvin Kumara, Mark Ingram, and Michael Thomas

Man I’d love to see the damage Wilson could do playing in dome with Julio and Devonta Freeman

Man I’d love to see the damage Wilson could do in a Sean McVay offense

Man I’d love to see the damage Wilson could do in a Josh McDaniels offense

Man I’d love to see the damage Wilson could do with Kareem Hunt, Travis Kelce, and Tyreke Hill offense with Andy Reid calling plays.
I agree but the problem is that now he will have to produce at an even higher rate with even less (maybe substantially less) talent around him. We (and Russell) won't see any of the things that you list because the hawks can't afford those other pieces. Instead we are going to see the damage done to Russell with Joe the milk man trying to pass block while Willie the grocery store clerk it trying to get open down field.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2a3c0ypl said:
Seymour":2a3c0ypl said:
Spin Doctor":2a3c0ypl said:
This deal was a mistake.

I don’t give a flying crap about Russ’s TD percentage. What I do care about is the fact that we have one of the worst offensive schemes in the league. What I do care about is our team seems more concerned with “winning their way” than winning. We passed less than ANY team last year, yet we’re giving our signal caller the largest contract ever. Moreover that money is not front loaded, it’s a huge burden each year.

Yeah top 10 in most offensive statistical categories, #1 in rushing and #5 in TD's, and Russell is top 5 in most QB categories.

If that's your definition of "one of the worst offensive schemes" I'd hate to see what you consider "good."

More balance, less predictable, more dynamic playcalling? Sure, I'm with you. But that's all fine tuneable within our system now. No reason to take the position of the sky is falling because our QB now is costing us a whopping 1M over his cap hit of last year for 2019.

knownone

Reaction score
Some of these takes are killing me :p.

The Seahawks did not save 7M off the cap this season. Russell's cap hit for 2019 is, and has always been, 25M. The only way that number has changed is if Seattle stretched that hit into his new contract which would just add to his cap hit in future seasons.

The value of Wilsons contract extension is 140M in new money at 35M APY.

His total compensation on paper over the next 5 years is 157M.

His total cap hit during that time is right around 165M at 33M APY.

The reason his cap hit is higher than his compensation has to do with the structure of his rookie contract involving the proration of initial his signing bonus (or other bonuses). Wilson got 60M upfront to sign his new contract, but his cap hit this season is not even close to 60M. Why? Because they've distributed that cap hit over the length of the deal (proration). The same is true of his rookie contract, and Seattle is still dealing with the remainder of that on their cap in 2019.

There is no salary cap magic that allows you to pay a player X amount of dollars without it counting X amount against the cap.

Wilsons contract probably won't ever be a 'bargain'. Aaron Rodgers was #1 in APY for the first 3 years of his previous contract extension. He was in the top 5 in his 4th year, and top 8 in the final year. The gap between Rodgers and the #2 highest paid QB in his final year was less than 3M. So unless you consider being in the top 5 in terms of pay at your position a bargain. You shouldn't refer to the long term valuation of these deals as bargains.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1qlrq0of said:
Frank Clark: After this year, bye Seattle!
Jarran Reed: After next year, bye Seattle!
Bobby Wagner: My turn to get paid!

I would not sign Wagner to a massive contract he's at that age where he's going to start to miss games from injury. Reed is the cornerstone of the Defensive line and hasn't even hit his peak yet they have to keep him.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3jqrgqt5 said:
Spin Doctor":3jqrgqt5 said:
I don’t give a flying crap about Russ’s TD percentage.

[youtube]o9ZgnVb5Q7I[/youtube]
And?

I’m quite confident that what I say will come to pass. We’re going to be fringe playoff team during these years. Some we’ll get in others we’ll just miss. More of being one and done, or no playoffs at all unless the CBA is altered drastically. Our boat anchor is named Russell Wilson.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":19cy39zw said:
TheLegendOfBoom":19cy39zw said:

I would not sign Wagner to a massive contract he's at that age where he's going to start to miss games from injury. Reed is the cornerstone of the Defensive line and hasn't even hit his peak yet they have to keep him.

Reed had one good year, Wagner is the best player at his position. Plus MLB's tend to age better than other positions. Ray Lewis played at high level into his mid 30's

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":1mxrnufl said:
Northwest Seahawk":1mxrnufl said:
TheLegendOfBoom":1mxrnufl said:

Reed had one good year, Wagner is the best player at his position. Plus MLB's tend to age better than other positions. Ray Lewis played at high level into his mid 30's

I would not make Wagner the highest paid LB not at his age. They have to be smart and I don't think it's smart to give Wagner that kind of contract. so I guess we'll have to disagree. I also think LB is an easier position to fill than a DT.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1ae3sjly said:
And?

I’m quite confident that what I say will come to pass. We’re going to be fringe playoff team during these years. Some we’ll get in others we’ll just miss. More of being one and done, or no playoffs at all unless the CBA is altered drastically. Our boat anchor is named Russell Wilson.

The fatal flaw in your thought process is thinking John and Pete can build another defensive dynasty through the draft and acquire another HOF running back like Lynch in order to carry another team to a SB win with a rookie QB that's got about a 99% chance of being far less talented than the HOF caliber QB you now have on your roster for another 5 years.