What NFL.com says about the Saints game

seabowl

Reaction score
This team has been called out more than any other team I have seen by the media during their games. It started with "the play" from XLIX and has grown and grown. Whether it was Bevell, Cable, now KNJ, and Pete it is obvious to even the casual fan that there are and have been issues all over the place. The leader of the team is to blame and will go down for it.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
But weirdly, the local media never takes Pete to task for anything.

Nationally?

Absolutely. He is almost a meme, making likely the worst decision in SB history.

But when Pete not only fails, but fails to fix or even acknowledge the reason he is failing - the local media misdirects, makes excuses for him, or throws him softballs.

He is never grilled at a press conference. Even after literally making the same mistakes again and again. Even after making head-scratching hires that fail consistently. Rarely is he called to the carpet to even explain it.

notyou

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3p13no2f said:

Nationally?

Absolutely. He is almost a meme, making likely the worst decision in SB history.

But when Pete not only fails, but fails to fix or even acknowledge the reason he is failing - the local media misdirects, makes excuses for him, or throws him softballs.

He is never grilled at a press conference. Even after literally making the same mistakes again and again. Even after making head-scratching hires that fail consistently. Rarely is he called to the carpet to even explain it.
The local media doesn't want to piss off Pete and have him say he doesn't want to do any of the radio shows anymore.
It's BS. They need to grow a pair and ask him the tough questions, regardless if it gets his panties in a bunch or not.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
notyou":1i5s9qxu said:
TwistedHusky":1i5s9qxu said:

Nationally?

The local media doesn't want to piss off Pete and have him say he doesn't want to do any of the radio shows anymore.
It's BS. They need to grow a pair and ask him the tough questions, regardless if it gets his panties in a bunch or not.

This is my thought. He's doing them a favor giving them a weekly show (and the ratings that come with it) and if they grill the crap out of him, he's gonna say nah fam i'm good not doing this anymore. All that being said, I used to LOVE listening to the Pete Caroll show, but now I don't anymore. Similar to RW's interviews at first it was inspiring and motivational, and then after a while you realize it's just a bunch of the same motivational meat-less stuff said week to week. As a fan, I grew tired of it only listening to 30 minutes a week. I can only imagine for players how quickly they lose inspiration from it as well.

I think we're all slowly realizing just how amazing the talent was on this team in 2012-2014 and they won a SB with 2 appearances in spite of Pete, not because of him. Makes you almost wonder if we had a coach with more of a killer instinct and was more adaptable what those teams would have accomplished, at least a second win, perhaps a 14-15 win season? Games where they would have absolutely SMASHED every opponent vs keeping it tight game after game.

John63

Reaction score
diver110":300vxvub said:
Here is the link: https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-seaso ... n-monday-n

Basically, said too much running into the teeth of the Saints defense, too little use of Metcalf, poor offensive play calling. Sort of confirming the obvious, admittedly.

that's Pete ball!! As I said it only works when you have a Qb who can make magic and those are few and far between and PC admitted this.

OP
OP
D

diver110

Reaction score
I used to follow the Chargers. When Schottenheimer could not take them to the SB, he ended up getting fired in a 12-4 year. What followed was a 14 year drought, which now seems to be coming to an end. Most fans would love to take that firing back. One thing that is worse than not making the SB is not making the playoffs year after year. That said, I am coming around on PC and the need for him to go. The number of runs last night into the heart of the Saints line was the final straw.