What is this team's ceiling for 2022?

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
The ceiling? I believe 17 wins is the ceiling, right?

But in all seriousness: I legitimately think this team is overall better coming into next year than the team we had last year and we WON 7 games last year. So it's weird to say our ceiling is less than 7 wins if we are a better team.

Now, obviously, we don't play the same teams but I think that's less important than this - what are the Seahawks going to be doing? How much of this season is going to be experimental? How much of this is about building a team than winning games? I know what Pete Carroll says but we won't know for sure until we get a few games into the season.

I do think, however, that the focus on the QB situation is overblown. I understand why people do it, but the biggest thing to hurt our team last year was the problems on third down and time of possession. Both of those issues came from the QB and unlike in previous years, there was no magic to overcome the lack of rhythm.

I'm not saying we are 'better' at the QB spot now because obviously we aren't. But our QB situation was BAD last year and we still won 7 games, for whatever reason you want to assign it (discontent, injury, whatever). So why do some think all of a sudden the bottom is going to fall out?

rcaido

Reaction score
The ceiling? I believe 17 wins is the ceiling, right?

But in all seriousness: I legitimately think this team is overall better coming into next year than the team we had last year and we WON 7 games last year. So it's weird to say our ceiling is less than 7 wins if we are a better team.

Now, obviously, we don't play the same teams but I think that's less important than this - what are the Seahawks going to be doing? How much of this season is going to be experimental? How much of this is about building a team than winning games? I know what Pete Carroll says but we won't know for sure until we get a few games into the season.

I do think, however, that the focus on the QB situation is overblown. I understand why people do it, but the biggest thing to hurt our team last year was the problems on third down and time of possession. Both of those issues came from the QB and unlike in previous years, there was no magic to overcome the lack of rhythm.

I'm not saying we are 'better' at the QB spot now because obviously we aren't. But our QB situation was BAD last year and we still won 7 games, for whatever reason you want to assign it (discontent, injury, whatever). So why do some think all of a sudden the bottom is going to fall out?
If you takeaway the Packers game/Geno games, Wilson's offense average 27.2pts per game which would have been ranked #6 overall.
If you go by Geno games, he average 17. Which would be ranked 29th.

Lets be honest here, if there was healthy Wilson last season, we were an easy playoff team. Probably 12-5 or better. Not even close to the same team last year talent wise.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

If you takeaway the Packers game/Geno games, Wilson's offense average 27.2pts per game which would have been ranked #6 overall.

Lets be honest here, if there was healthy Wilson last season, we were an easy playoff team. Probably 12-5 or better. Not even close to the same team last year talent wise.
Why are you using a Denver Broncos player for your avatar?

DarkVictory23

Reaction score

If you take away the game in which Russell scored zero points, his average is much better! Shocking.

So, our offense's REAL average under Russ, because he absolutely played that Green Bay game, was 23.6, not 27.2. Which would be ranked 16th, which is what we already were.

And the offense's average under Geno was not 17 (not sure how you did the math for this), it was 21, so in all, Russ was good for less than one FG a game over Geno Smith--who had his last start when?

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Wouldn't say the roster was weaker last year. It isn't just Wilson we lost but also Wagner, who has been a 1st team All pro in 6 of the last 8 seasons (and 2nd team in the other two). We do have some exciting new talent but I would be surprised it they are the finished article this season. This is definately the lowest expectations I have for the team in the Pete Carrol era.
The bookies have us at 5.5 which is probably about right. I don't think we will we "haunted real bad" by not signing Baker, he is an improvment on what we have but not by much I would increase our expected wins up about 7. Mayfield does not have the talent to take us far so we would then be left with a journeyman QB and a hard decision whether to keep him at the end of the season or look for another QB. (Does anyone know how the Panthers expected wins changed with signing Baker?)

With Locke and / or Smith I won't be much interested in results, I would like to see our young players show promise and improvement through the season. It will be hard to keep talent in a 6-11 team with holes in lots of positions but a team which finishes 6-11 because it started slowly and is only missing a QB (and has the ability to get one) shouldn't have a problem. (The Bronco's finished last season with 7 wins but are now considered very highly because all they needed was a QB)

One option I have seen a few analysts mention but nothing here is Jimmy G becoming a Seahawk. Of the QBs available this offseason he is the only one I would be happy us taking. If he can stay healthy he is a serious talent, with him I would put our expected wins this season up to about 9 with a hope to go deep into the play-off once outr young players mature. The big problem is remaining healthy is a big if and I suspect the 49ers wouldn't have got Lance if they were confident his injury troubles were over.

https://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/win-totals/

GemCity

Reaction score
6 wins but, more likely to see 3 to 4.

It is what it is. To me, that’s a rebuild with a QB rich draft crop next year and an excellent chance at getting a stud.

More excited than I’ve been in the last 5-6 years tbh…

Spohawks

Reaction score
Super Bowl! The Seahawks can always trade future 1st round picks to move up and get the QB they want. Lets have our cake and eat it to!

themunn

Reaction score

On the other hand we had to lean heavily on Alex Collins as our starting RB in the games that Smith started. Would it have been a much different case if Geno had been QB with Penny in the final few games?

It's no coincidence that Wilson's best games last season were at the start of the season with Carson available and end of the season with Penny kicking off - how good can Geno be with a dominant running game? He's not going to be as good as Wilson and anybody believing so is off their rocker, but my belief is that the team has improved in nearly every other position, and the drop-off from Wilson to Geno (or Lock) is more than offset by that

rcaido

Reaction score
On the other hand we had to lean heavily on Alex Collins as our starting RB in the games that Smith started. Would it have been a much different case if Geno had been QB with Penny in the final few games?

It's no coincidence that Wilson's best games last season were at the start of the season with Carson available and end of the season with Penny kicking off - how good can Geno be with a dominant running game? He's not going to be as good as Wilson and anybody believing so is off their rocker, but my belief is that the team has improved in nearly every other position, and the drop-off from Wilson to Geno (or Lock) is more than offset by that
Very good points. Lets hope we have a very good run team to support the QB.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think the team could be improved overall over the team fielded last year. How that translates in terms of W's and L's is hard to assess. To me it's a ridiculous assessment to predict the team will only win 3-5 games. The likely outcome is 7-9 W's. A lot will depend upon the D rather than O improving significantly and if that happens the Hawks could be a surprise to the 'experts'. I've been wrong before and could easily be allowing my optimistic view to cloud my assessment but somehow I doubt it.

beastalamode

Reaction score
We aren't going to win 7 games this year. People just need to accept that and hope the team grabs the right qb in the draft next year

beastalamode

Reaction score
I cant believe people expected a better result this year if we picked up baker who is about the 23rd best qb in the league. We got rid of a top 7 to 10 qb, even with baker there was going to be regression.

Scout

Reaction score
Floor is 4 wins but the ceiling is 10.

Key is defensive improvement and running game going off. Not only does this roster have more talent this year but it is better balanced.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I'll wager a $100 restaurant gift card (hypothetically, in case this isn't allowed) that the Seahawks will win more than five games this year. The deal is six or more wins means I win the wager, five wins = no bet, four wins or fewer means I lose the wager. Settle up by the end of January.

Any takers?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Seahawks are taking 2nd place in the NFCW, and winning the Wild Card Round. Meanwhile the geldings won't make the playoffs.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Undefeated Superbowl champs. Same ceiling as every other team.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
I would bet that it is now Pete that has a "chip on his shoulder" regarding #3. He really wants Lock or Geno to run "his system" like a basketball point guard and for the Seahawks to win as a team...without relying on big plays from the quarterback. This year we will rely on our other "skill position" players and our young roster depth.

I predict a blow out victory for the Seahawks in our first game against the Broncos...this is "personal" now between Pete and #3. The team organization is not going to back off of it's philosophy and will not "tank" for a higher choice in the next draft. They will play to win "one game at a time" as always.

This year, the Seahawks are going to play both physically hard and aggressively on both sides of the ball. The locker room will feel the "team spirit" as new friendships and expectations grow. The team seems deep and fast with good young talent, rather than the "top heavy, mercenary veteran" rosters of previous years. This is going to be a fun season to watch.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I would bet that it is now Pete that has a "chip on his shoulder" regarding #3. He really wants Lock or Geno to run "his system" like a basketball point guard and for the Seahawks to win as a team...without relying on big plays from the quarterback. This year we will rely on our other "skill position" players and our young roster depth.

I predict a blow out victory for the Seahawks in our first game against the Broncos...this is "personal" now between Pete and #3. The team organization is not going to back off of it's philosophy and will not "tank" for a higher choice in the next draft. They will play to win "one game at a time" as always.

This year, the Seahawks are going to play both physically hard and aggressively on both sides of the ball. The locker room will feel the "team spirit" as new friendships and expectations grow. The team seems deep and fast with good young talent, rather than the "top heavy, mercenary veteran" rosters of previous years. This is going to be a fun season to watch.
This, in spades. I love the attitude and share it immensely.