What is the best trade in Seahawks history?

Best trade in Hawks history?

• 8th round pick (1977) to Houston Oilers for Steve Largent

Votes: 40 38.8%
  • Fredd Young to Indianapolis Colts for 1st round pick (#15, 1989) and 1st round pick (#10, 1990)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rick Mirer and 4th round pick (1997) to Chicago Bears for 1st round pick (#11, 1997)

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • 1st round pick (#12, 1997) and 3rd round pick (1997) to Tampa Bay for 1st round pick (#6, 1997, beca

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Joey Galloway to Dallas Cowboys for 1st round pick (#19, 2000, became Shaun Alexander) and 1st round

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 2nd round pick (2009) to Denver Broncos for 1st round pick (#14, 2010, became Earl Thomas)

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • 4th round pick (2011) and 5th round pick (2012) to Buffalo Bills for Marshawn Lynch

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • Frank Clark and 3rd round pick (2019) to Kansas City Chiefs for 1st round pick (#29, 2019), 3rd roun

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Barkevious Mingo, Jacob Martin, and 3rd Round Pick (2020) to Houston Texans for Jadeveon Clowney

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters

Maulbert

Reaction score
The debate in the thread about Brock Huard's thoughts on the Frank Clark deal made me think about this. Off the top of my head, I think we've got at least 8 great trades. If you can think of anymore, please mention them, I'll add them later.

Edit- Oh, crap, I originally forgot the trade that netted us Earl Thomas. Fixed.

Edit 2- retitled for clarity, as 49er fans apparently lack reading comprehension. :stirthepot:

Edit 3- Added the Jadeveon Clowney trade.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
What, no mention of Percy Harvin, Eddie Lacy, or Jimmy Graham?

It's hard to justify moving up to the top-10 in most drafts based on capital expenditure, but getting Big Walt was worth every penny of value.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2yeivzsb said:
What, no mention of Percy Harvin, Eddie Lacy, or Jimmy Graham?

It's hard to justify moving up to the top-10 in most drafts based on capital expenditure, but getting Big Walt was worth every penny of value.

That trade is only on this list because Walt is the greatest player in franchise history (sorry, Steve!). The rest on here are based on fleecing the other team. Walt is just phenomenal value.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Largent is one of my top 3 all time favorite Hawks, but bringing in Lynch solidified the nasty on this team and got us a Superbowl win.

Gotta go with Lynch personally.

lukerguy

Reaction score
HOFer for an 8th round pick is a lock. We should take that down and compete for 2nd... that would be much more interesting!

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
Man, this is actually very difficult.

Clearly Largent, the man whose records Jerry Rice has to beat, the first Seahawks Hall of Famer, for an 8th is just epic.

But, while I grew up watching Largent, Walter Jones was the best to ever play his position in the NFL, and arguably one of the best football players ever regardless of position in my opinion. If I had to draft an NFL team from scratch today, made up of any player from any time, there is no way Walter would not be my very first choice. He was that good, and LT is that important. He solidified a line which took us to our first Superb-Owl - anchoring a left side which no one could stop. Hall of Fame as well.

AND....Lynch. A hip-shot acquisition which jelled a team which needed a new identity - and identity which would go on to win the first Superbowl for the franchise. He put spirit behind the skills of the team with one of the top three defenses in the history of the NFL, and he could always be counted on to dominate the ground.

Not easy.

94Smith

Reaction score
You can't judge the Clark trade at this point with the other trades. The results are unknown

sdog1981

Reaction score
These are some hard ones.

From the one-sided rip-off standpoint. Rick Mirer for picks that became Walter Jones and Shawn Springs is number one.

From the dodged a bullet standpoint. Fredd Young for two first rounders in 1989-1990 could have gone really bad.

From the Helped both teams out standpoint. Joey Galloway for Shaun Alexander was pretty darn good for both teams.

Seymour

Reaction score
2_0_6":1qfykayr said:
Largent is one of my top 3 all time favorite Hawks, but bringing in Lynch solidified the nasty on this team and got us a Superbowl win.

Gotta go with Lynch personally.

Largent held EVERY major NFL receiving record once he retired. No...Beast Mode doesn't even come close in my book. Just because he played on a better team should not matter the way I see this.

Please change your vote! :twisted:

sutz

Reaction score
This is one of those polls that break down heavily based on age, I think. ;)

As a certified :les: , I had to go with Largent. His longevity and production on true run first teams (they didn't call him "Ground Chuck" for nothing) he can't be beat. And the fact that he cost a draft pick in a round we don't even pick at any more (in modern terms he was essentially a UDFA), I have to go with "best value" here.

The middlin' age folks are huge Walt fans, and I can't blame them. He was the ultimate pass blocker plus road grader that makes coaches drool, and he played for a good long time.

The younger crowd are probably the Lynch fans, with his fancy grill and his badass hip-hop style he fits right in. And he was a huge part of that SB win.

A lot of good points have been made above, and I won't say anybody is necessarily wrong. But I know I'm right. ;)

94Smith

Reaction score
Maulbert":1zfc1743 said:
94Smith":1zfc1743 said:
You can't judge the Clark trade at this point with the other trades. The results are unknown

It's a poll. I wasn't calling it their best trade. Try reading before responding.

I am saying it shouldn't be in your poll

jammerhawk

Reaction score
While sentiment for me goes to the Largest trade, or for the trade that brought the best LT in league history to the team, Galloway for 2 FIRST ROUND PICKS, it isn't close.

Just sayin'

A-Dog

Reaction score
My favorite trades are when we identify one guy we absolutely want and we take a risk to trade up and get him.

Curt Warner
Cortez Kennedy
Walter Jones

Being proactive and making the moves to find an impact player who transforms and defines your team, IMO, is a lot more exciting than being reactive, trading down to spread out risk, and choosing what's available among whoever falls to you.

sdog1981

Reaction score
jammerhawk":30thic83 said:
While sentiment for me goes to the Largest trade, or for the trade that brought the best LT in league history to the team, Galloway for 2 FIRST ROUND PICKS, it isn't close.

Just sayin'

I had to double back on all that craziness and I agree with you 1000%

Galloway for the 19th Pick in 2000 (Shaun Alexander) and 2001 1st (7th pick)

7th overall pick traded to the 49ers for Heath Evens and Picked Koren Robinson.

Which allowed the Seahawks to then trade the 10th pick for Matt Hasselbeck and the Packers 17th pick which turned out to be Steve Hutchenson

So the Seahawks were able to flip Galloway for Shaun Alexander, Steve Hutchenson, and Matt Hasselbeck.

I change my mind. This is the best trade the Seahawks have ever done. If they can get a league MVP, an HoF player, and perennial pro bowl player out of this trade then it will be tied.

Latest posts