Week 7 Press Conferences (UPDATED 10/21)

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Coach Carroll (Wednesday):
http://www.seahawks.com/video/2015/10/2 ... conference

Coach Riichard (Wednesday):

Bevell (Wednesday):

Russell Wilson (Tuesday):

Richard Sherman (Tuesday-mislabeled as "week 6"):

Coach Carroll (Monday):
http://www.seahawks.com/video/2015/10/1 ... conference

Summary of Coach Carroll's Wednesday Press Conference:
Excited to play another game as quickly as possible after a loss. It's a lot of work for the players on a short week.

Bobby Wagner, Frank Clark, and Tye Smith will all be back for this game. If Wagner has any issues, then like last week, Wright will be back at Mike and Kevin Pierre-Louis would play Will. Fred Jackson was not hurt in his car accident outside the team facility. Derrick Coleman has not been cleared yet. Marcus Burley is in a cast, has practiced every day, and would like to play, but he won't play on Thursday because we are going to give him another week to get right. We were fortunate to sign Lemuel Jeanpierre to the backup center role with Patrick Lewis out. Drew Nowak will go right back as the starter. The short week wasn't a good week to test out Paul Richardson. Jordan Hill will have a great chance to go next week, but he will not make it this week.

We won't complain about the field conditions in Santa Clara, because both teams have to play on it. We will have our walk though tomorrow. This is a new 49er team, with a new HC, but they are still a 3-4 defensive team that likes to run the ball. Navarro Bowman is as active and tough as ever; he looks like the leader out there. We are going to try to block him. Carroll enjoys watching Jim Harbaugh's team at Michigan.

Transcript of Coach Carroll's Monday Press Conference:
Carroll: “I kept looking at the film. I can’t get it to change again. Another very difficult game for us as we come out of it, there’s just things to be done that we have to continue work at and improve our execution down the stretch. I want to do that. Fortunately, as we turn around today, we turn around and focus on what’s coming up, which is a good Thursday night opportunity to play the Niners, and we have to get right after it. We’ll spend very little time on this game and we’ll turn our focus right ahead have to get going. This is with it, a program that has such high expectations and standards. It’s a challenge for us, as I talked about maybe yesterday. It’s a challenge that we’re worthy of taking on. I’m looking forward to turning the corner here and getting this thing going and showing that we can be in mid-season form the way we want to be, and do some really cool things with this opportunity we’re faced with, and that’s how we’re going to go about it. On come the Niners, it’s a new team, new coach, new play callers, all of that, so the study that we’re challenged by this week is to see a new team for us. We’ve been trying to keep an eye on them as we go through the schedule here, just watching them play a little bit as we always do with the teams in the division. They had a big win this weekend, I’m sure they’re ready to go, and get their thing going too. They’ll be an exciting matchup.”

Question: How has the communication been affected by the changes in the coaching staff?
Carroll: “None of that has anything to do with anything. That’s nothing. You guys keep trying. That has nothing to do with it. We just missed the signal that we normally get and it comes in verbally, we show it to them and we just missed it. Our communication now is really at a high level, and unfortunately you can make a mistake, and we did. We let them down there before that all happened. They already were in field goal range and all that. We hadn’t done the right things earlier, but that was a big mistake. It was in communication, but it wasn’t because of all those other things that you’re thinking about.”

Question:How do the signals reach the players?
Carroll: “It comes in over the headset, the miked linebacker gets the call and he distributes the call, as well as we signal it to cover the guys that may not get the signal, if guys look to us. We have a backup plan that we execute every snap as well.”

Question: Where did the the breakdown occur?
Carroll: “I haven’t seen the players yet, so I don’t know any more than what I learned in the locker room last night. They just thought it was something different. They just missed it.”

Question: How surprising is it to see fourth quarter losses?
Carroll: “Even more than that, the turnover thing, we have a real history with this turnover thing, a long long history of winning when you’re in the plus. We’re over 80% or something for all of the time I’ve been coaching. I’ve been head coach, and when you have a positive turnover ratio, you win. We’re at the other end of that, and I don’t understand that. This doesn’t make sense to me that we’re not able to take advantage of that. It’s just been so true for so long. Not finishing these last two games has been really crucial. We’ve got to get better at the end. The execution that got us in the lead and put us in position early in the game just needs to continue. We don’t even need to do anything different, we just need to continue the execution and not let it fall where they take advantage of the last quarter, which has happened.”

Question: Has the execution changed because of complacency?
Carroll: “No. that would be really good. If I knew that one then I would just click the switch and we’d be going. The effort is really good, the communication in general is good from the coaches to the players, on the sidelines, what’s going on situationally and all of that. We haven’t had any issues with that at all. We’re feeling tuned in. We’re seeing the other teams really elevate and outdo us at the end of the game. When the quarterback goes into the fourth quarter with, I don’t know, his numbers were not very good going into the fourth quarter. He threw for 100 yards or something like that in three quarters, and then to throw for 160 and hit 12 out of 15, whatever he did. That’s a big change. We kept slapping on the coverage and the changeups and the pressures and stuff like that, and they were still able to execute and do a good job. I have to give credit, both those teams are undefeated for a reason. They were able to keep it going.”

Question: Is getting through to guys different when they’re successful?
Carroll: “It could be. Coach Wooden told me one time that it’s not every year the players change. You don’t change your philosophy, you don’t change your approach because the players adapt as they go through their years and things fit together. You always stay with what you believe in, but in that, times change, guys grow up. They mature, they get paid, they’re heading into their contract year. There’s a lot of factors that enter into guys’ makeup, and we have to be adaptable, and fix, and help, and communicate and counsel all the way through all of that. It’s one of the really exciting challenges in coaching. I’m always on that topic. I try to understand how our guys are developing, where they’re going, what’s important to them, what’s changed and what has stayed the same so that we can communicate really well and help them move where they’ve got to go.”

Question: Has Carroll sensed a change in the team’s attitude this season?
Carroll: “Not for three quarters, it’s been great. For the fourth quarter it hasn’t been apparent because the other teams have kind of taken the momentum for whatever reason.”

Question: Has Carroll been in a situation like this before?
Carroll: “No. I haven’t really been in this kind of situation with a really good team. It felt so much different, and the results are flipping in terms of some of the factors and stuff. This is new in that regard.”

Question: How has Russell Wilson played?
Carroll: “He did some really good things. He competed like crazy. As we always see that there’s some plays that could go a different way, there’s a couple connections that things on third down we needed to get. Our third down play is not good enough right now. We’re not able to get that next turn around, that next opportunity. We’re missing out on a lot of really cool stuff that we have. We didn’t run the football as much as we wanted to because we needed to convert more. We only had 14 first downs. That’s not enough. That comes from third down work, Russ needs to help us there, as we all do. Everybody’s working on it, he’s got a big part in all of that.”

Question: Why are tight ends having good games against Seahawks?
Carroll: “Yeah, I thought Jimmy [Graham] played really well. That’s not what you meant though, right? If you watch their football team, Greg Olsen is their top receiver and he’s the go-to guy and has been for a couple years and all, and that continued. He had a couple big plays on us that made a difference, made a couple really nice catches too. He’s just a really good football player. We had corners on him, we had safeties on him, we did a lot of different things and he still was able to make his plays. We held him down early, but he had a big fourth quarter for them.”

Question: Are Russell Wilson and Jimmy Graham connecting?
Carroll: “There’s no question, yeah. I thought that Jimmy sensed the movement of the quarterback really well, took advantage of it. You could see them working together, you could see the connection between them. Russell was directing him some, and he was working hard to get open, and they hooked up. Jimmy had a fantastic football game and really showed why you’re trying to get the ball to him. We’ve been saying it the whole time, it just hadn’t happened as much. He’s not far off his numbers that he’s had at other times and all that because he’s such a good player. Every coach and team is going to recognize that the guy is a good ball player and you want to give him the football. We have to. I thought it was exciting execution on their parts on a couple balls down the middle that they hooked up on, as well as the scramble plays.”

Question: Patrick Lewis’s injury?
Carroll: “He’s got an ankle and a knee thing that’s bothering him. He had MRIs this afternoon. We haven’t got the results back yet.”

Question: What are you going to do with Paul Richardson this week (off PUP)?
Carroll: “We don’t have to make that decision yet.”

Question: What can make the return game better?
Carroll: “Well, it hasn’t been very productive. The kicker kicking the ball in the end zone is the first way they do it, and that makes it hard. Another guy bombed it. In the punt return game, we always feel like we’re one block away, one assignment away from getting it done, so what I think we’re seeing certainly is a tremendous focus from our opponents for the right reasons and all. We’re just going to keep on hitting it, and I think good things are going to happen, but there’s been a little bit of a shift in the core of the special teams units, with some guys being banged up, and that does affect our techniques and stuff like that. We have to just get better with the guys we have. Guys have been out, Derrick Coleman’s a core guy, Brock Coyle core guy. Those guys make a big difference in how we play and so we’re catching up a little bit right now.”

Question: Will you lift the suspension on Derrick Coleman?
Carroll: "Yes . . . he has to clear doctor's reports."

Question: Is Carroll happy with the play calling late in games or is it an execution issue?
Carroll: “I always feel like we need to help the guys as much as possible. I never think it’s just all on them to get it done. We need to make calls that help them, we’re looking for ways to do that. Kris Richard is doing a really good job of mixing stuff, he’s pressured well and effectively and we’re trying to stay real aggressive. I thought it was a very aggressive look by us last week on offense, we looked downfield quite a bit but again, we needed more turns. I like our guys, I think they’re doing a great job. I’ve got no problem with that at all, and we’re going to continue to work with our players and find our ways to best position them so they can make the plays they’re capable of and that’s an ongoing process.”

Question: Was the last defensive call so late that they didn’t have time to huddle?
Carroll: “No. No because they spiked the ball, so it was a regular huddle opportunity so it was nothing to do with that. However that happens, that’s the first time I can ever remember Earl [Thomas] not knowing what the other guys were doing. I don’t know how that occurred. There was a couple of other guys too that were in question on the call, so something happened there, I’m not exactly sure how that happened yet on the field. We know what we called, and what we signaled in. K.J. [Wright] got it, and he started the process, but it just didn’t get exchanged properly for whatever reason.”

Question: Did the call come in in a timely manner?
Carroll: “Yeah. It was not rushed.”

Question: What does it say about the players that so many stayed in the locker room hours after the game?
Carroll: “Think of all we have been through with these challenges. They are trying to put their heads together because they want to get better. That is an illustration that they keep competing and battling. That is all they know. It's an illustration of that.

Question: What is better about the 49ers?
Carroll: “Throwing game came together. Carlos Hyde is an effective runner. I don't know what is going on behind closed doors. They found the throwing game, obviously. They are scrambling to get it together. Unfortunately, they got it together right before they play us . . . . It's going to be a challenging week of preparation."

Question: Short list at USC? Are you flattered?"
Carroll: "I'm flattered . . . but that's NOT happening."

chris98251

Reaction score
Notice the dodge on play calling and shifting back to defense, he did say that he isn't happy with third down, but the dodge and the reference to work on stuff multiple times and no mention of Bevell but saying Richard is doing a good job to me is telling as where I think he is leaning about our problems.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":13x74vdl said:
Notice the dodge on play calling and shifting back to defense, he did say that he isn't happy with third down, but the dodge and the reference to work on stuff multiple times and no mention of Bevell but saying Richard is doing a good job to me is telling as where I think he is leaning about our problems.

Hmmm, it seems Pete's been oblivious to Bevell's failings for a while but this offers some hope. That said, I do think he called a slightly better game, but Wilson's play was as crappy as it's been all season.

Thanks for the write up HN, really useful.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Coach Carroll (Wednesday):

Coach Riichard (Wednesday):

Bevell (Wednesday):

Summary of Coach Carroll's Wednesday Press Conference:
Excited to play another game as quickly as possible after a loss. It's a lot of work for the players on a short week.

Bobby Wagner, Frank Clark, and Tye Smith will all be back for this game. If Wagner has any issues, then like last week, Wright will be back at Mike and Kevin Pierre-Louis would play Will. Fred Jackson was not hurt in his car accident outside the team facility. Derrick Coleman has not been cleared yet. Marcus Burley is in a cast, has practiced every day, and would like to play, but he won't play on Thursday because we are going to give him another week to get right. We were fortunate to sign Lemuel Jeanpierre to the backup center role with Patrick Lewis out. Drew Nowak will go right back as the starter. The short week wasn't a good week to test out Paul Richardson. Jordan Hill will have a great chance to go next week, but he will not make it this week. Garry Gilliam looks ready to play.

We won't complain about the field conditions in Santa Clara, because both teams have to play on it. We will have our walk though tomorrow. This is a new 49er team, with a new HC, but they are still a 3-4 defensive team that likes to run the ball. Navarro Bowman is as active and tough as ever; he looks like the leader out there. We are going to try to block him. Carroll enjoys watching Jim Harbaugh's team at Michigan.