We got Jadeveon Clowney !!!

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1168157870225051652[/tweet]

............................. nobody wants to stick out like a nail with unspent surplus cap going into negotiations for a new CBA. John Schneider knows that.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":18nlzkcz said:
Anajimmc":18nlzkcz said:
5_Golden_Rings":18nlzkcz said:
Clowney's only weakness is availability and getting lost in a numbers game when it comes to double/triple teams. When he's healthy, he's one of the best there is, even if the numbers haven't been as dominant as you'd expect for someone so good. But trust me, from the times I've seen him play on the edge, he's an absolute monster. This isn't just a replacement of Clark, it's an upgrade. Should Clowney finally play a full season as an edge rusher, this will be the most insulting steal of the season.

My God, with our linebackers, lets hope this happens.

Clowney has played in 13, 14, 16, and 15 games the past 4 seasons. While that's for sure not "ironman", it seems about average for a dl. How big of a concern should this be?
He’s been played out of his natural position a lot, however.

Fade

Reaction score
So if the Texans paid half, Mingo shaves $4M, and the cuts of Brown & Marsh cover a pretty good chunk as well.

The Seahawks were sitting at $20M in cap space before cut down, with this new information they may still be at $20M.

We will have to wait for the dust to settle, with some more smaller moves yet to happen, but this is absolutely incredible.

Everything is canceled out. No cap consequences, likely getting a 3rd comp if he walks.

The Seahawks essentially traded Jacob Martin straight up for Jadeveon Clowney.

John Schneider for Executive of the Year.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Fade":368ue6tm said:
The Seahawks essentially traded Jacob Martin straight up for Jadeveon Clowney.

...but with Jacob Martin's salary. More or less. Pure highway robbery.

Okay, okay, so we have a couple million more invested in one of the top names in defense than we did for a no-name.

Martin's total contract Value: $2,622,040

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
There's a lot of good work being put into analyses of Clowney's prowess at different techniques and speculation on his injury status and comparisons to Frank Clark, but in order for this to be a good deal for us, Clowney only needs to do better for us than Martin would have.

If that happens, it's a win deal for us. If he does better, then it's a steal.

Also keep in mind the impact of the players around Clowney who will benefit from his double-teams, and the additional impact Clowney may have if the QB is unable to step up in the pocket thanks to the efforts of guys like Ford penetrating or pushing back the interior line.

Synergistically speaking, this is a great fit if he's healthy.

chris98251

Reaction score
Remember Pete adapts the scheme to what his players do well, we have speed to burn all over and then a couple immovable objects in the middle. Bennett thrived lining up where ever the mismatch was, I expect with Ziggy and Clowney we are going to flip and switch from a 4-3 to 3-4 look a lot and drop guys into coverage as well. The rotation we will use is going to be what is in question, we can have a speed guy on the edge every down and more now.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/1168280316387049472[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/prattprattpratt/status/1168280691815014400[/tweet]

Fade

Reaction score
chris98251":rf0ard81 said:
Remember Pete adapts the scheme to what his players do well, we have speed to burn all over and then a couple immovable objects in the middle. Bennett thrived lining up where ever the mismatch was, I expect with Ziggy and Clowney we are going to flip and switch from a 4-3 to 3-4 look a lot and drop guys into coverage as well. The rotation we will use is going to be what is in question, we can have a speed guy on the edge every down and more now.

Yeah, he does.

I am curious to see how much 2 high they run, which then will effect how they align their front 7, with no 8th man in the box, as some have been speculating online. Specifically Hsu.

sutz

Reaction score
Fade":2vpp84jr said:
chris98251":2vpp84jr said:

Yeah, he does.

I am curious to see how much 2 high they run, which then will effect how they align their front 7, with no 8th man in the box, as some have been speculating online. Specifically Hsu.
It will be riskier to run that single high 3-deep zone without someone of ET's speed and talent back there. Could be seeing a lot more Tampa-2 looks.

Pete prefers to stay in base formations as much as possible, but in today's game that is more nickle-ish. We used to like to run a 2LB set, but with our 3 guys, that's taking a pretty good talent off the field.

21st Century football problems. :twisted:

McGruff

Reaction score
The speed of kendricks and Wagner is nice to have, plus being able to rotate in a couple of young guys like Barton and BBK.

Weve also stocked up on premium run defenders. Part of that was do to failure last year, but would also make sense with less 8 man boxes.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
[youtube]SDm3fxbjW0A[/youtube]

Lets not forget his dominance vs us either. This is a wicked play.

CPHawk

Reaction score
He's elite vs the run, something we've been missing up front for a few years now. If he can somehow get 8-10 sacks, that's just a cherry on top IMHO.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
CPHawk":7bm4kf4n said:
He's elite vs the run, something we've been missing up front for a few years now. If he can somehow get 8-10 sacks, that's just a cherry on top IMHO.

While I don't disagree with the concept of him being elite vs the run, he is 26 years old and can still learn how to use his gifts to get even better. The upward trajectory of his game is what fans should be very excited about. I think Clowney is just a bit above his floor, and his ceiling is wicked high, IMHO, its higher than any other defensive player in the league. Donald included.

Tapping into that potential, is what he needs and it is awesome he came to the best place to do that. :irishdrinkers: