Wanted to talk about this section.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Would you consider a game day chat on a site? I can probably help with that like we had before. But I believe we just need time to advertise it. I had a few come in a bit, but it was not advertised that much. I dunno. It is up to the group. Probably not so much good on home game day, but as you have seen over in Greenbay chat area, they would like to see some shoutbox there too. It is easy and can be dropped after the end of the game. If a moderator/owner wants to keep it for taking care of issues, they can copy it or save it for later. It is totally up to the owner of the chatsite. Just an opinion.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Packerforum does a pre/post game thread and then a game thread. Users seem to like that setup. Cards forum and sports hoopla do one game thread and they like it that way.

I honestly think one game day thread would get alot more activity then a forum section game day.

I'm just throwing ideas out, not officially changing anything. Just wanted to get some ideas from you and also share mine.
As an aside, I think we all appreciate your willingness to ask for and apply feedback while still adding your own ideas and vision to the conversation. Along with the swift action in updating the forum software to one that, while taking some effort to get used to, is more suited to the nature of the site.

Look forward to continuing to collaborate, and appreciate that you have added perspective from running other NFL forums.

Whatever is decided, I'm cool with trying it out. I think our established method, while unorthodox, has some serious pros to it but understand that there's room for improvement and growth.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score

The Radish Memorial Gameday Forum...​

It was called that, but this is very appropriate, thank you Shaggy.

I had it at that, but I figured newbies would have no idea what that meant, so I figured the Les "Radish" term would make more sense.

acer1240

Reaction score
I had it at that, but I figured newbies would have no idea what that meant, so I figured the Les "Radish" term would make more sense.
You making the attempt is what is important. I have no problem coming to the front of the line and speaking for all of us when I say thank you.

JPatera76

Reaction score
With kid hawk on this one. Maybe both thrive or maybe one dies a natural death. A thread is better for watching real time, the sub-forum is better for checking in here or there during the game and not have to wade through 146 messages that you don't care about 72.5921% of them.
thats kind of where im at with this as well.

Doesn't Xenforo have a "live chat" that can be implemented and then idk activated for gamedays? i.e.a Shoutbox (like Arrowchat)
Then you have the best of both really. A good middle ground. A sub-forum for checking here and there, and then a live chat or shoutbox at the top in the game day sub-forum at the top somewhere or whatever

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score
thats kind of where im at with this as well.

Doesn't Xenforo have a "live chat" that can be implemented and then idk activated for gamedays? i.e.a Shoutbox (like Arrowchat)
Then you have the best of both really. A good middle ground. A sub-forum for checking here and there, and then a live chat or shoutbox at the top in the game day sub-forum at the top somewhere or whatever

I don't like live chat or shoutboxes. It takes away from the forum. Forums strive and survive on posts and activity. When you have all the chatter from a game or NFL draft in the chat, none of it goes on the forums, so its lost and the forum loses that activity. Post and threads are what make up a forum, take that away, and the site will die out.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I don't like live chat or shoutboxes. It takes away from the forum. Forums strive and survive on posts and activity. When you have all the chatter from a game or NFL draft in the chat, none of it goes on the forums, so its lost and the forum loses that activity. Post and threads are what make up a forum, take that away, and the site will die out.
that's why I was asking about having it active only for gamedays. But if you just have 1 thread, isn't it almost a same or similar thing? Make it a literal gameday chat only thing. then disable it after gameday. "shrug" sorry I don't know much about forum software, so i wasn't sure if it was some that could be as easy as a command or if it would require like too much work for gamedays only.

W

Welshers

I say make a single gamethread and then also let people make their own in this forum.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score
that's why I was asking about having it active only for gamedays. But if you just have 1 thread, isn't it almost a same or similar thing? Make it a literal gameday chat only thing. then disable it after gameday. "shrug" sorry I don't know much about forum software, so i wasn't sure if it was some that could be as easy as a command or if it would require like too much work for gamedays only.

No problem. Even on game day, I'm not a fan of them. It does nothing positive for the forum. Yes, it's easier for members to go back and forth, but it hurts the forum overall. It's hard to really explain without posting a huge book about the reasons.

Another reason is page impressions. Search engines can see the activity from page refreshes, members moving around the site and posting. It will rank the site better when they know its active. Game days are a huge activity boast for the forum and helps a ton with what I said above. Also and being honest, page impressions are good for advertising as well and a chatroom will take away from that it will have less ad impressions.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score
I say make a single gamethread and then also let people make their own in this forum.

That's the plan. The only difference is that I will not be deleting any threads or posts if thets what was happening before.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
That's the plan. The only difference is that I will not be deleting any threads or posts if thets what was happening before.
When I was modding here in the game day forum if posters got out of hand a general warning was issued to all and that thread was locked.

Most of the time that worked.

Folks are hyped up and reactive during game day.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score
When I was modding here in the game day forum if posters got out of hand a general warning was issued to all and that thread was locked.

Most of the time that worked.

Folks are hyped up and reactive during game day.

What I mean is that I think they had it set to delete all post/threads in the Game Day forum like 2 or 3 days after the game. I won't do that and move them somewhere where users can still see them if they need to.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
What I mean is that I think they had it set to delete all post/threads in the Game Day forum like 2 or 3 days after the game. I won't do that and move them somewhere where users can still see them if they need to.
Ah ok. Yes they did have it set up that way.

Chawker

Reaction score
Shaggy, think of a room full of people talking all at once, its hard to hear, right. Now same situation and you have a fishing pole, casting out a observation and you get a bite, someone has made the same observation you have. I'd say the status quo is a better form of capturing a thought from a crowded room. But thats just my opinion.

Cheers

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I always think of this room as going to a bar and watching a game. A lot of the posts are emotional responses to what is happening. I am nowhere near a Seahawk bar so this is where I come to celebrate/rant etc about a game as it goes on. Wiping the room has always been a good call.

i keep my emotional hot takes out of the main forum and understand that if I want reasoned analysis this is not the room to come to.