Walter Thurmond substance abuse suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigwrm

Reaction score
Throwdown":30bws7lb said:
bigwrm":30bws7lb said:
Ok, I just looked up the NFL's substance abuse policy and you have to be an absolute moron to get caught.

"If you are under contract with a club, you will be tested once between April 20 and August 9."

You get tested ONCE per year in the offseason (if you've never tested positive before). After that test you can do whatever the hell you want.

Why are we hearing about this now then?

After you fail a test you enter the league's intervention program. You get tested more frequently in the intervention program and if you fail another test you get a 4-game suspension.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
C-Dub":ydbjcooy said:
austinslater25":ydbjcooy said:
Now that it's settled in. How does this effect our chances against the saints? Home field for the playoffs? I haven't watched lane or maxwell closely enough to see if they are adequate or not. Thoughts going forward?
Drew Brees going against Maxwell/Lane. Yeah....a little worried about that. At least Cam should be on Jimmy.

I was hoping Sherm would cover Bree's favorite target (Graham). Both New England and the Jets (the two teams who have beaten Saints) used their number one corner on Graham and had great success.

Throwdown

Reaction score
253hawk":1drn78az said:
Throwdown":1drn78az said:
You're right, they didn't do a good job at all last time they were called upon to start

The infamous 42-13 game...

More than that, that whole quarter of the season. Maxwell and Lane ain't no scrubs.

C-Dub

Reaction score
getnasty":2zrrxcji said:
How is this or any other Pete Carrolls fault? The only thing Pete can do is cut guys for failing drug test. They're grown men, be upset with them not Pete.
Pete creates the atmosphere the team lives in. A loose ship means players feel like they can do whatever they want. Since most of these guys aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, it's pretty obvious shit like this will happen. There's a reason this doesn't happen to other teams.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":27tn8vqc said:
bigwrm":27tn8vqc said:
bestfightstory":27tn8vqc said:
Cut Him. He has taken up a roster spot for too long.

Dude doesn't deserve a Super Bowl ring.

Cut him? For what was likely marijuana? Half the players in the league probably smoke weed; he was just stupid enough to get caught. It's not like he got drunk and crashed his car (cough cough aldon smith) or was involved in some sort of domestic violence incident or sexual assault. A lot of players have done a lot worse. He made a stupid mistake, he's young, and he'll learn from this.

And I would like the team to help him learn that lesson by increasing the consequences. That is my opinion. Cut his ass.

Yep, if the players can't hold themselves accountable, the team needs to. This is the second year in a row that a Seahawks player has gotten himself in trouble just when the team can least afford it. I would love for Pete Carroll to send a message that this crap is unacceptable and even young, promising players like Thurmond will be held accountable.

bigwrm

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":3o78b8w5 said:
bestfightstory":3o78b8w5 said:
bigwrm":3o78b8w5 said:
bestfightstory":3o78b8w5 said:

Cut him? For what was likely marijuana? Half the players in the league probably smoke weed; he was just stupid enough to get caught. It's not like he got drunk and crashed his car (cough cough aldon smith) or was involved in some sort of domestic violence incident or sexual assault. A lot of players have done a lot worse. He made a stupid mistake, he's young, and he'll learn from this.

And I would like the team to help him learn that lesson by increasing the consequences. That is my opinion. Cut his ass.

Yep, if the players can't hold themselves accountable, the team needs to. This is the second year in a row that a Seahawks player has gotten himself in trouble just when the team can least afford it. I would love for Pete Carroll to send a message that this crap is unacceptable and even young, promising players like Thurmond will be held accountable.

Would you say the same thing if this had happened to Earl Thomas? Did you think we should cut Marshawn after his DUI?

C-Dub

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1nvxu1od said:
C-Dub":1nvxu1od said:
austinslater25":1nvxu1od said:
Now that it's settled in. How does this effect our chances against the saints? Home field for the playoffs? I haven't watched lane or maxwell closely enough to see if they are adequate or not. Thoughts going forward?
Drew Brees going against Maxwell/Lane. Yeah....a little worried about that. At least Cam should be on Jimmy.

I was hoping Sherm would cover Bree's favorite target (Graham). Both New England and the Jets (the two teams who have beaten Saints) used their number one corner on Graham and had great success.
I was thinking about that too, but Cam has had huge success against TEs. NE did a great job on Graham. I don't think Talib let him have a catch.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I don't know how this all works but can he still play while appealing?

Would it be smart to just accept the punishment so we can have him back come playoff time?

Axx

Reaction score
He is appealing so he will play vs the saints
does anyone on this site know anything about anything?

C-Dub

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1tpc2o9d said:
I don't know how this all works but can he still play while appealing?

Would it be smart to just accept the punishment so we can have him back come playoff time?
We're on a bye week and I don't think the appeal will last that long, so he'd be gone for the Saints game either way.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Axx":20z6i2js said:

He's dropping the appeal last I saw. Will take suspension.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
bigwrm":3nmteox5 said:
Shadowhawk":3nmteox5 said:
bestfightstory":3nmteox5 said:
bigwrm":3nmteox5 said:
bestfightstory said:

Would you say the same thing if this had happened to Earl Thomas? Did you think we should cut Marshawn after his DUI?

Different rules apply for different people. Just a fact.
Jimmy Johnson once cut a guy for falling asleep in a meeting. Instant respect was achieved.

Thurmond isn't so special that he can't be made an example of.

Bye bye druggie is what I would do.

C-Dub

Reaction score
Axx":2pmsz5ea said:
It's been reported that he's dropping his appeal. Doesn't anyone on this site know anything about anything.

Axx

Reaction score
C-Dub":za83lcy9 said:
getnasty":za83lcy9 said:
How is this or any other Pete Carrolls fault? The only thing Pete can do is cut guys for failing drug test. They're grown men, be upset with them not Pete.
Pete creates the atmosphere the team lives in. A loose ship means players feel like they can do whatever they want. Since most of these guys aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, it's pretty obvious shit like this will happen. There's a reason this doesn't happen to other teams.

"Loose ships" dont have the best record in the nfl.

you guys make it sound like pete is thrilled that his players get busted

bestfightstory

Reaction score
C-Dub":2aj18qty said:
Axx":2aj18qty said:
It's been reported that he's dropping his appeal. Doesn't anyone on this site know anything about anything.

Some don't read too well.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
So Sherm and BB were tested last preseason, then faced suspension after - what - week 12? Now this after week 11?

I'm confused about the timing of these things. Admittedly I'm not scouring the webz for all the ins & outs, but it's weird that this has happened just before the playoff run two years in a row.

Exittium

Reaction score
Awesome black eye to the franchise, by someone who right now WAS a great back up to BB, Im downing not Lane or maxwell, but they don't have the speed and their tackling imo sucks.. I'm unbelievably pissed that someone would do this. If I was JS/PC I'd boot his him right away take the money hit but the action itself would make a statement.

Where tharold simon? I hope he spends his week talking to russ and practicing that way he's not as much of a crutch as the saints rookie CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.