Walter Jones Hall eligible in 2014

JOz56

Reaction score
Didn't see this posted anywhere, but apparently Big Walt is eligible a year earlier, due to being IR'd in 2009 for the entire season.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articl...-in-2014/bf288b18-6fd4-4310-9e69-1c9e36b85a91

The Seahawks’ dominating left tackle will be eligible for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2014, rather than 2015, the Hall has determined. Jones’ final season with the Seahawks was 2009, but he spent the entire season on injured reserve so his five-year waiting period for Hall of Fame consideration began a season ahead of the anticipated timeline.

rjdriver

Reaction score
So help me, if big Walt isn't a first ballot selection I'm going to lose it.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
He should be unanimous. I don't play the "disrespect" card often, but I'll harass endlessly any voter who doesn't vote for him as a first ballot HOF'er. Just like I did to Bob Finnigan for giving the MVP to Juan Gonzalez. The email exchanges I had with that guy were hilarious. I seriously think he's illiterate and just records everything on tape and has somebody else transcribe it.

Jones better go without question from anybody, or they have no understanding of football and should seriously lose their voting PRIVILEGE forever.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
Walter jones got respect from the entire nfl while he was playing and media. He will be first ballot hof. If he is not my brain wont be able to understand why.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I'm sure he will be first ballot. I'm just wondering if he'll get 100% of the vote. If he doesn't... it will tell me who the morons are that are voting. There is no reasonable answer to anybody leaving Walt off of their ballot, whether he is their favorite guy or not (that is eligible). He should get 100%. If not... then that will expose the stupidity in HOF voting. They have a chance to do the right thing.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
rjdriver":2jdl55q7 said:

Rest easy friend. Walt is as sure a first ballot as it gets.

mr.stlouis

Reaction score
Orlando Pace and Walter Jones, there isn't a T in the league better then them two.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
mr.stlouis":3gbmcl95 said:
Orlando Pace and Walter Jones, there isn't a T in the league better then them two.

That Ogden guy was pretty good too, although I think Jones is better. Since he got inducted this year I hear a lot of "possibly the best tackle to ever play" living here in Baltimore but he's not even clearly the best from his era.

I think Anthony Munoz is better than Jones. There's a reason why Munoz was a nine time first team All Pro.

Willie Roaf really deserves some consideration here as well.

godawg

Reaction score
I still remember a few posters from this board (or its predecessor) who wanted to get rid of Walter in 2004 (or was it 2003) because he wouldn't come to training camp when he was franchised, staying in Alabama to push Escalades. Walter didn't get universal respect from Hawk fans, so why is it a no brainer that he'll be 100% 1st ballot HOF?

He might be my favorite Hawk. I still remember playing Atlanta when Kearney was All-Pro, and Walter treated him like a cat treats a mouse. Until injuries slowed him down it was hard to think of him as a mere human being. I think Kearny said playing Big Walt was like wrestling with a Grizzly Bear for two hours.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
This actually helps Walt. Now he will be in a year ahead of Pace and the NFL doesn't have to have the debate about which tackle was better if they were to only include 1 of them at a time. I think the only reason they would have chosen Pace is that he has a SB ring with one of the best offenses of all time. Other than that, I think Walt should get the nod over him. Now it doesn't even matter.

Walt should have no problems getting in now.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":fww28ws8 said:
This actually helps Walt. Now he will be in a year ahead of Pace and the NFL doesn't have to have the debate about which tackle was better if they were to only include 1 of them at a time. I think the only reason they would have chosen Pace is that he has a SB ring with one of the best offenses of all time. Other than that, I think Walt should get the nod over him. Now it doesn't even matter.

Walt should have no problems getting in now.

Exactly right. The way the voters are, the chances of both Walt and Orlando going in the same year would have been slim. I was happy Ogden got in this year to decrease the likelihood of a logjam at the tackle position. Cortez was the first 100% homegrown Hawk to get in the Hall last year, now Walt will be the first 100% homegrown Hawk to go in on the first ballot (100% homegrown means drafted by the Hawks and never put on another uniform).

mr.stlouis

Reaction score
bmorepunk":p8sl6efe said:
mr.stlouis":p8sl6efe said:

That Ogden guy was pretty good too, although I think Jones is better. Since he got inducted this year I hear a lot of "possibly the best tackle to ever play" living here in Baltimore but he's not even clearly the best from his era.

I think Anthony Munoz is better than Jones. There's a reason why Munoz was a nine time first team All Pro.

Willie Roaf really deserves some consideration here as well.

Dude, you need to pay closer attention to detail. I said there isn't a T in the league better then them two. I'm talking about NOW!!! You went off into naming all time greats which I never mentioned in comparison. Current top tackles, for example include...

Joe Thomas, Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Jason Peters... etc.

None of those guys are as good as them two. That's all I said... :?

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
On 5,703 pass attempts over 13 seasons, according to coaches stats, Walter Jones was called for holding 9 times and surrendered 23 sacks. So, every time the Seahawks QB went to drop back they had a .4% chance of getting sacked or about once every 250 drop backs. If Walter Jones isn't unanimous for the hall of fame then no one should be.

The Radish

Reaction score
About the vote. Anyone here know how many votes Steve Largent got?

Not me for sure. I only know he's in the Hall.

I don't think any of us need to worry what the votes are. The NFL TV and Radio announcer to a man will vote for him because they all raved about him for years!

Getting in by one vote will suit me.

:th2thumbs:

HawkWow

Reaction score
Aros":39yynhcu said:
rjdriver":39yynhcu said:

Rest easy friend. Walt is as sure a first ballot as it gets.

This. There may be only a handful of players in the history of the league more deserving. Walt was to O-linemen what Reggie White was to D-linemen.

Another positive is voters can be confident Walt's not going to bore the hell out of everybody with a 3 hr speech. ;)

Latest posts