USFL

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Anybody watching? Most of the QBs and WRs suck but there's some tough running and hitting. Competitive games so far, even if there's nobody in that little ass stadium there to watch it.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Wow, the NFL's stranglehold on media is scary. I was aware that there is a league calling itself the USFL and that it has basically nothing to do with the USFL I remember from the 1980s (and I'm still not sure why they're calling it USFL and reusing team names from the 1980s USFL), but I was unaware they had started playing.

I just went to the ESPN site and there is an article from last week talking about what to expect from the USFL, but it's in the NFL section, and I couldn't find any USFL scores.

Since FOX Sports owns the USFL, I guess the (only?) place to get up-to-date USFL info will be from FOX Sports.

OP
OP
Z

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
The first game was simulcast on Fox and NBC, which was kinda weird. Then one of the games yesterday was on USA network. The first game had quite a few people in the stands but yesterday's games were almost empty.

Seems like these little spinoff leagues should just join forces and combine all their resources instead of trying to be "the league that made it" or whatever they're doing.

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score
The first game was simulcast on Fox and NBC, which was kinda weird. Then one of the games yesterday was on USA network. The first game had quite a few people in the stands but yesterday's games were almost empty.

Seems like these little spinoff leagues should just join forces and combine all their resources instead of trying to be "the league that made it" or whatever they're doing.

I just hope one of them(XFL, USFL, that other league that was doing really well until covid hit) takes off. You need competition to make products better and more entertaining.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
McGough was in our ab room before running the Birmingham team. So he’s no drew lock or geno smith, still fun to watch.

Wolfiegrrl

Reaction score
I think with the XFL positioning themselves as a devlopmental league into the NFL, it will stick around a while. I guess Goodell likes what the Rock is cooking over there.

Where as the USFL is all Fox. I like the idea of having developmental leagues trying different stuff out. Hell, I was a young teenager when my brother and I caught QB Jim Kelly of the Houston Gamblers at the airport. We watched his entire career because of that one meeting.

I mean, if we can have people paying our college players now, why not find more and better avenues for young talent to showcase themselves?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
McGough was in our ab room before running the Birmingham team. So he’s no drew lock or geno smith, still fun to watch.
McGough is terrible. He only completed 50% of his passes for 55 yds with one TD and Int. Everyone hails him as the next coming of Joe Montana.....not quite.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I saw game 1, the game linked in hawkfan68's post above. It was very entertaining and went right down to the wire. The level definitely isn't NFL high, but the teams were evenly matched so it worked out about as well as could've been hoped for. I was very impressed by the entertainment value of the product they showed to kick off the season.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
The main issue I have is why name a team after somewhere they don't play?

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score
What.l network are these games on?

OP
OP
Z

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
They're all over the place. Fox, NBC, USA. I haven't been able to discern if there's a pattern or not. Gotta just check the listings.

OP
OP
Z

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
The main issue I have is why name a team after somewhere they don't play?

I believe the goal was to save money this year and then next year (or at some later point) the teams would play in their own cities. I doubt there's gonna be a next year though. Just so little interest, it seems.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I believe the goal was to save money this year and then next year (or at some later point) the teams would play in their own cities. I doubt there's gonna be a next year though. Just so little interest, it seems.
I read that next year there might be 2 stadiums used and then maybe year 3 in the actual team cities. I agree the interest just isn't there, I went from week 1 watching a game or 2 to forgetting it actually existed fairly quickly.

OP
OP
Z

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Great game today Pittsburgh vs Houston. TD on the final play giving Pittsburgh a 21-20 win.

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score
How do the stand look? Alot of people there or just more empty seats?