University of Washington Pro Day

fenderbender123

Reaction score
So here's what we know about Penix:

1) He's very mobile, if not downright fast.

2) Hes the most accurate intermediate and deep ball thrower.

3) He knows how to operate in a relatively complex offense

4) He can handle being the driver of an offense (pass first, run second)

5) His medical history is not an issue, according to the combine report.

6) He's a winner.

7) He's got good height and massive hand size.

8) He has great pocket awareness. Knows how to avoid sacks.

The only issues are things that can be improved with NFL training. Footwork, throwing motion, etc...none of which is actually bad.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The old me would get worked up. But.........we know what we see. And I'm good with that. He's a beast. He can do it all.

chris98251

Reaction score
The old me would get worked up. But.........we know what we see. And I'm good with that. He's a beast. He can do it all.
Almost all, if he could turn back the clock to being 22 years old he would be the #1 pick I am almost positive.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I was pretty hard on Penix because of his performance in that NC game. But as Eisen points out - he got his foot stepped on in that game and it probably limited him after.

(He does seem to throw high when excited and can at times have a slight hitch, but at least the hitch could be fixable. )

If the UW staff did not do such a poor job preparing for that NC game (expecting our OL wouldn't struggle against the UM pass rush), we probably would be having a different conversation about Penix now.

I still think he was hurt part of the UW season, but hid it because of his durability concerns. He looked to be playing through pain in at least 2 games I can think of. Penix is probably somewhere between Carr and Cousins, maybe a Leftwich worst case. That's still a great get for any team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yes, but he almost ALWAYS comes back and makes up for any missed passes. It got to be funny at the games. He overthrows a guy for a sure TD, next drive..........TD pass to the same guy, same play. He doesn't play defense, and the UW defense got shredded in the NC game. They entire team was just off that night. And even then, it was a one score game in the 4th quarter. He didn't win 21 games in a row by accident, including 3-0 vs. Whoregon, Pac 12 Champs and TWO bowl wins over Texas. Before that game, he was 10-0 against ranked teams.
Magically after his final game, a bunch of people came out and acted like he was a 3rd round level QB.

I've been thru this a thousand times; I will never understand how much people downplay this guy. But you can't really change people's minds, and that's fine.
People can see it how they want; I know what my eyes tell me.

Chevy

Reaction score
So here's what we know about Penix:

1) He's very mobile, if not downright fast.

2) Hes the most accurate intermediate and deep ball thrower.

3) He knows how to operate in a relatively complex offense

4) He can handle being the driver of an offense (pass first, run second)

5) His medical history is not an issue, according to the combine report.

6) He's a winner.

7) He's got good height and massive hand size.

8) He has great pocket awareness. Knows how to avoid sacks.

The only issues are things that can be improved with NFL training. Footwork, throwing motion, etc...none of which is actually bad.

And his accuracy is bad when he is under pressure, even though he can run a fast 40-yard time.

TwilightError

Reaction score
He struggled against pressure. But most do. I’d be stoked if he ended up in Seahawks. No player is a certain hit but Penix has the tools and it’s up to the team that drafts him to make sure the system emphasizes his strenghts.

I guess he did not use his speed much in UW because of the injury history.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The unofficial is a little fast, but it's a hell of a time for Penix.

We knew he wasn't a 5.0 type of guy, but still a screamer. I hope this doesn't change evaluations - the issue with his legs isn't mobility, it's his untested pocket footwork. I'd prefer he didn't run much, despite having the speed. Both of his ACL tears in that knee came from scrambling.

Ideally, with Penix, you would sit him for a year and try to get him more comfortable in a chaotic pocket. That's the most limiting aspect of his game aside from lingering health fears. If you can improve him in that area, his ceiling is Matthew Stafford with a stronger arm.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
And his accuracy is bad when he is under pressure, even though he can run a fast 40-yard time.

I don't think I've ever seen a QB not perform worse under pressure.

Penix has delivered quite a few strikes while standing in the pocket and taking a hit. That's promising enough for me.

toffee

Reaction score
The unofficial is a little fast, but it's a hell of a time for Penix.

We knew he wasn't a 5.0 type of guy, but still a screamer. I hope this doesn't change evaluations - the issue with his legs isn't mobility, it's his untested pocket footwork. I'd prefer he didn't run much, despite having the speed. Both of his ACL tears in that knee came from scrambling.

Ideally, with Penix, you would sit him for a year and try to get him more comfortable in a chaotic pocket. That's the most limiting aspect of his game aside from lingering health fears. If you can improve him in that area, his ceiling is Matthew Stafford with a stronger arm.

Gotta go wonder how fast could he be without the injuries.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
largely because he will throw the ball away to avoid taking sacks or turn the ball over. He believes he's going to beat you on the next play and guess what? He does, time and time again. Being patient and cold-blooded wins games. Dude is in complete command of the offense, and it shows.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Just saw that Cowherd is predicting we trade up to 12 with the Broncos for Penix. Why would the Broncos even consider that? The Bears at 9 seems logical though. Of course, I doubt they do that now, but you never know. Interesting to ponder. It would be so great to have a legit possible qbotf on the roster to sit for a bit.