Try To Keep This In Mind

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It makes no sense to honor a contract if the cost of not doing so is less than the benefit of walking away.

Not sure what the problem is.
People disregard contracts all the time, that is where that clause in the contract kicks in. If the penalty isn't significant enough, why not?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Source?

I'll ask someone in the know and will let you know what he tells me.
I know the family of a former player. He was cut at a couple different points preseason and he was paid for the weeks he was on the team. It is camp not "try outs" I am not saying they are getting paid well. But they are getting paid a prorated portion of their contract.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Source?

I'll ask someone in the know and will let you know what he tells me.
Okay, I sent an email to Jason who owns overthecap.com and here is his answer.

When a player is cut with no guaranteed salary they dont earn
anything extra.

In some cases if a player is hurt they may agree to an
injury settlement and players do earn a bit of money for being in camp
but thats just for daily stuff and not because you were cut.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I've changed my stance on this. I would now tell guys like DK to hold out until your paid and I don't fault them at all. Most of these guys aren't making 20 million a year and its a massive risk with no extra reward if they get hurt.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I know the family of a former player. He was cut at a couple different points preseason and he was paid for the weeks he was on the team. It is camp not "try outs" I am not saying they are getting paid well. But they are getting paid a prorated portion of their contract.
According to Jason at overthecap.com (btw, a great source of NFL salary cap info and much more), you're right, in that all players in TC are paid for each day they are on the team's roster.

But they don't get paid a prorated portion of their contract.

According to Jason, they are each paid a set amount per day. Rookies earn $1700/day, and vets earn $2900/day (this year), which are set under the CBA and so not count against the team's salary cap.

So, if you are a rookie and you last right up to the final cut down to 53, you'll have earned almost $60,000... a nice chunk of change for a 21-y/o... but less than 10% of what an UDFA rookie's yearly salary would be if they remain on the 53-man roster throughout the season.

So yes, they are paid but only while in TC, and a modest amount by NFL standards.