Trade for Chris Jones with Tyler Lockett?

CouchLogic

Reaction score
I'd rather have the offensive production, we know that's solid. No one really knows what Seattle even has on defense right now, a ton of new faces in the mix. TC is going to be poppin' off, should be fun.

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Tyler Lockett is too valuable to this offense to trade. Tyler was Russell's #1 target, security blanket, and Geno's too. Russell's whole schtick was to run around for 5 seconds and then go, "Where's Tyler?" Then read Tyler's coverage and throw the ball where he knows only Tyler will be able to get to it. The difference is that Geno goes through his progressions as the play calls for and only then goes "Where's Tyler?"

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Lots of nice inputs, and Lockett has earned our love, no doubt about it. This thread reminds me of another one that I started in 2021:

flv2

Reaction score
Cap analysis: There is $29.685M of dead cap with Lockett's name on it but $9,895,000 is already being accounted for this year and there's $9,895,000 that's set in stone for next year. If Lockett is traded all that would change is the $9,895,000 that was due to be accounted for in 2025 would accelerate into the 2024 cap. However, the team acquiring Lockett would then be responsible for the $16.9M that Lockett is due to earn in 2024 rather than the Seahawks. I'm not advocating a trade but there's no cap issue preventing it.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Cap analysis: There is $29.685M of dead cap with Lockett's name on it but $9,895,000 is already being accounted for this year and there's $9,895,000 that's set in stone for next year. If Lockett is traded all that would change is the $9,895,000 that was due to be accounted for in 2025 would accelerate into the 2024 cap. However, the team acquiring Lockett would then be responsible for the $16.9M that Lockett is due to earn in 2024 rather than the Seahawks. I'm not advocating a trade but there's no cap issue preventing it.
So Lockett's 2023 cap will stay with the Hawks after we trade him tomorrow?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I'd rather have the offensive production, we know that's solid. No one really knows what Seattle even has on defense right now, a ton of new faces in the mix. TC is going to be poppin' off, should be fun.
Whatever we have on the defense? Two word: No enough.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
This.

I have been vocal about some of my issues with Tyler. I don't see this as any sort of answer. Beefing up both the offense and defense this year is crucial. Separate from my hatred in general for the 'hit the deck' theory of receiving footballs - I want to see how the trio do this year.

If Tyler is to move on - I don't want it to be this year.
I am of the opinion that IF KC is open to Lockett for Jones, then, this is the year. Jones was the finalist in defense player of the year 2022, dude is FOUR time all pro, and the defense maker in KC's super bowl winning defense. At 29 years old, Jones is even younger than Lockett. Beside, with JSN, Lockett will be expendable in a year or so. However, with another season of Lockett sliding after catch, his trade value won't be what it is today.

Jones can do more for our defense than what Lockett could do for our offense.

Mick063

Reaction score
Kansas City isn't going to trade Jones for Lockette. They will demand a higher price than that. It would be too expensive of a deal when it is all said and done.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Well, sir - that is officially one of the most intelligent things that I've heard on the topic, myself often included.

I give SA a pass at the end of his career for hitting the deck when the O-Line broke down - but I haven't given the same pass to Tyler. I'll think about that.
Tyler's value is catching balls and scoring TDs. fighting for an extra yard and getting killed is not

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Kansas City isn't going to trade Jones for Lockette. They will demand a higher price than that. It would be too expensive of a deal when it is all said and done.
I agree with you, one does not trade a 29yo 4 time all-pro DT, for a 30 yo 2 time all-pro punt/kick returner. For it to work, may be Lockett plus picks or another player.

flv2

Reaction score
So Lockett's 2023 cap will stay with the Hawks after we trade him tomorrow?
The 2023 dead money, ($9,895,000), would stay with the Seahawks in 2023. The 2024 dead money would stay with the Seahawks in 2024. The 2025 dead money would accelerate into Seahawks 2024 cap. The new team would be responsible for Lockett's 2023 salary of $1.165M and the $16.9M he's due in both 2024 and 2025.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
The 2023 dead money, ($9,895,000), would stay with the Seahawks in 2023. The 2024 dead money would stay with the Seahawks in 2024. The 2025 dead money would accelerate into Seahawks 2024 cap. The new team would be responsible for Lockett's 2023 salary of $1.165M and the $16.9M he's due in both 2024 and 2025.
Wouldn't the same goes for Jones?

flv2

Reaction score
Wouldn't the same goes for Jones?
Jones has $8,291,668 of dead money which would stay with the Chiefs. Any team trading for him would need $20M of current cap space with which to absorb his 2023 salary and work-out bonus...as a 1 year rental. (The Seahawks currently only have $10M so they would need to restructure or cut some contracts). Obviously a new team could agree a new deal with him but ideally that should be done prior to a trade to lower his 2023 cap figure. Failing that a 2nd franchise tag could be used on him by the new team in 2024 should they wish to extend him.

Fade

Reaction score
The Chiefs would be more interested in draft picks and young players with low cap hits.

This isn't the NBA where teams trade big name players for big name players.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'll happily "endure" another season of Tyler ducking down to avoid a big hit just after yet another 3rd-down conversion catch. When Tyler does get the ball in the open field, with room to avoid big hits, he does just fine.

THE TYLER LOCKETT INVENTORY
Gets open against anyone? Check and Double-Check. Elite.
Rapport with QB to give QB a target in scramble drill? Check and Double-Check. Elite.
Reads defenses to get open? Check and Double-Check.
Catches targets? Check. Top 10 in NFL. (IMO, anyone have numbers to prove me wrong/right?)
Deep threat? Check.
Crushing downfield blocker for running game? Fail. Next best:
Would-be run game tackler goes downfield with Tyler, eliminated from run-game defense as well as a crushing block? Check.
Makes first man miss? Sometimes.
Fights through tackles for extra yards? Fail.
Consistently available on game-day? Check.

I'm a huge Tyler fan and I believe he consistently outplays his contract. In particular, Tyler consistently makes clutch, drive-extending catches. He's a keeper, IMO.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Chiefs would be more interested in draft picks and young players with low cap hits.

This isn't the NBA where teams trade big name players for big name players.

Again, don't let logic and reason get in the way of a trade scenario someone pulled out of their ass that has no merit, or positional/cap research to back it up.

Jones said he wants some insane salary like 30M a year. I haven't peaked at our overthecap numbers in a while, but I'd venture to guess we're about 20M in the red on that astronomical asking price.

Fade

Reaction score
Again, don't let logic and reason get in the way of a trade scenario someone pulled out of their ass that has no merit, or positional/cap research to back it up.

Jones said he wants some insane salary like 30M a year. I haven't peaked at our overthecap numbers in a while, but I'd venture to guess we're about 20M in the red on that astronomical asking price.
Firstly, the Seahawks aren't trading for Jones.

Secondly, that's not how the Salary Cap works. Year 1 cap hits on mega contracts are extremely low.