TRADE ALERT!!! Leonard Williams to the Seahawks!

Fade

Reaction score
As always, as soon as the season is over we'll all wish we had the draft picks. Sellers always win, buyers always lose
In recent years, the aggressive teams that make the trades go to the Super Bowls.

There is a price that is payed down the road, but that is the cost of doing business.

The Seahawks did well for themselves with this trade, acquiring a piece that is difficult to find, contingent they don't just have him as a rental.

If he is just a rental, there will be some natural buyer's remorse. Especially if there is no comp pick benefit, ultimately.

toffee

Reaction score
In recent years, the aggressive teams that make the trades go to the Super Bowls.

There is a price that is payed down the road, but that is the cost of doing business.

The Seahawks did well for themselves with this trade, acquiring a piece that is difficult to find, contingent they don't just have him as a rental.

If he is just a rental, there will be some natural buyer's remorse. Especially if there is no comp pick benefit, ultimately.
The three big trades: Leonard Williams, Chase Young, and Montez Sweat. I think Williams covers more of our holes than Young. Sweat would be nice to have in additional to Williams, guess one couldn't have it all.

my 2 p

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I'd be shocked if they took a QB in the 1st round at #17 or even near there. They don't value first-round QBs the way you do. Look at this last year when there were QBs to be had and we had one of the highest picks in recent history. It simply won't happen. I cannot understand why you and others have any expectation that it would.

Whether it should happen is another conversation, of course. But even then, it's hard to argue against RW in the 3rd and Geno/Drew at this point.

No, the draft capital was much better spent on a known commodity on the D-line this season, with the possibility of extending it into next year rather than a very expensive crap-shoot in a 1st rd QB.
You're making a lot of assumptions here about Pete Carroll and Schneider when it comes to staying away from QB's in the first round.

In 2010 the NFL draft was extremely weak. The only two QB's that went in the top 10 were Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow. In the next class all of the top passers went before the Seahawks picked. In 2012 the only passer they had a shot at in the first was BRANDON WEEDEN. They went out in FA and picked up the top FA QB to replace Tarvaris Jackson.

In 2022, we had one of the weakest QB classes in a long time. Kenny Pickett was the only QB picked in the first round.

In 2023 the Seahawks had no chance at any of the top QB prospects. After the run on Stroud, Young and Richardson, there was nobody left that went in the first round. All three of them taken before our pick.

Seattle realistically has never had the chance to draft a first round QB. Saying John or Carroll have a preference towards not drafting a QB in the first is just speculation.

We do know one thing though. Carroll does value Quarterbacks. He went to great lengths to bend over backwards for Russell Wilson. He values passers and if he doesn't feel Geno is the guy he needs I have no doubt he'd pull the trigger in the first round if need be if he had a guy that he liked.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
They were on the phone with them according to reports.

They weighed it out, and decided the cost was too great. They may regret that come playoff time.
I know this idea is completely foreign to someone that makes stuff up on the regular, but do you have a source of data for this claim?

Pretty sure you don't. Since you live the furthest in fairy tale land than anyone. Thought I would ask though.

vonstout

Reaction score
We have approximately $6 mil in cap space next year as of now. We have to replace Wags, Brooks, Taylor, Evan Brown, Parkinson, Haynes, Lock, Edwards, and Lewis with that. Cutting Mone saves us $6 million. Most likely cuts: Geno, Adams, or Diggs. I like getting Williams, but I don’t think we have much chance to resign him without cutting at least 2 of the 3 likely cuts above. If this trade doesn’t result in a SB win, it won’t be worth it IMO.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
We have approximately $6 mil in cap space next year as of now. We have to replace Wags, Brooks, Taylor, Evan Brown, Parkinson, Haynes, Lock, Edwards, and Lewis with that. Cutting Mone saves us $6 million. Most likely cuts: Geno, Adams, or Diggs. I like getting Williams, but I don’t think we have much chance to resign him without cutting at least 2 of the 3 likely cuts above. If this trade doesn’t result in a SB win, it won’t be worth it IMO.
No...you are looking at effective cap space, which isn't the real cap space. I think Mone will be cut or restructured, depending on what he does when/if he comes back. Adams & Diggs can be restructured. Bobby may sign a 2 year, back loaded deal for us.

This board exudes silly talk sometimes.

Below are the #'s. More years are posted because we can use that $$ with creative contracts that JS is excellent at executing.

Attachments

• 1698865534438.png
    1698865534438.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 3

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The team is unlikely to have traded a 2nd and 5th for a player that they do not intend to re-sign. There is a great deal of ability to manipulate the cap with void years and bonus timing amongst other tricks. Williams is a player Pete has wanted for some while.

I'd bet he'll be kept. Besides the cap for next year is not yet known and is increasing. The team will find ways to keep the guys they want to keep.

Last edited:

rcaido

Reaction score
Leonard Williams was getting paid 20+million a year. He was the 6th highest paid DT. If he does great with us, you think he will take less?

rcaido

Reaction score
Im sure the 31 other teams wouldn't mind getting him and paying him. The only good thing about Geno's contract is that he is currently not hitting his incentives. He would have gotten 15million more if he did. Right now he has about only an extra 2 million going against the cap next year.

Seahawks 2024 potential cuts.
Geno - 14million saving
Diggs - 11 million savings
Dissly - 7 million savings
Adams - 6.9 million savings
Mone - 6 million
Love - 5.8 million

Most likely cut casualty or restructure would be Diggs, Dissly, & Mone.

We just have to pray we dont get outbid by other teams like what happen w/ Sheldon & Clowney rentals to sign Williams if he balls out.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Im sure the 31 other teams wouldn't mind getting him and paying him. The only good thing about Geno's contract is that he is currently not hitting his incentives. He would have gotten 15million more if he did. Right now he has about only an extra 2 million going against the cap next year.

Geno - 14million saving
Mone - 6 million
Love - 5.8 million

We just have to pray we dont get outbid by other teams like what happen w/ Sheldon & Clowney rentals to sign Williams if he balls out.
No love lost if Adams is gone or takes a pay cut. Great dude and all, but just hasn't lived up to expectations...IMHO.

Nunya

Reaction score

Geno - 14million saving
Mone - 6 million
Love - 5.8 million

Not quite sure of what you mean by Geno not hitting his incentives. All of his incentive are end-of-season incentives. He gets $2mil each if he beats his stats from last year in:

Passing Yards (4,282)
Passing Touchdowns (30)
Completion % (69.8)
Passer Rating (100.9)
Wins (9)

If he surpasses all 5, he gets another $5mil.

Edit: Maybe it is me just being to literal and you meant he is not on tract to meet them.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Not quite sure of what you mean by Geno not hitting his incentives. All of his incentive are end-of-season incentives. He gets $2mil each if he beats his stats from last year in:

Passing Yards (4,282)
Passing Touchdowns (30)
Completion % (69.8)
Passer Rating (100.9)
Wins (9)

If he surpasses all 5, he gets another $5mil.

Edit: Maybe it is me just being to literal and you meant he is not on tract to meet them.
He better start improving his passing tds numbers if he wants to meet that goal. Currently he's on pace to end up with 22 tds. Making terrible decisions and throwing ints in the red zone are not helping him there.

keasley45

Reaction score
I know this idea is completely foreign to someone that makes stuff up on the regular, but do you have a source of data for this claim?

Pretty sure you don't. Since you live the furthest in fairy tale land than anyone. Thought I would ask though.

It likely cane from an article in Heavy.com that speculated that Detroit SHOULD pursue Williams.

But I'd be interested in seeing evidence as well. For that and for his assertion that Schneider was going to go to Detroit after 2020, but came back to Seattle because he was given more control. Another situation where it was known Detroit was pursuing John and Seattle was trying to make it hard for them. But that was all. No proof that an offer was made or that the chain of command in Seattle ever changed as a result.

Makes for good TV, though.