TRADE ALERT!!! Leonard Williams to the Seahawks!

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Young is costing the Niners just 500K and the pick they're trading was a comp pick for having a minority executive signed away. They're already going to get a comp 3rd for McGlinchey, and decent chance Young gets them a good one the following year.
I don't see the logic in adding to theor d-line. Their secondary is not good because of the investment in the front 7. I could be wrong, but I am guessing that a lot of teams are going max protect and beating the 9ers with 3WR, 1TE, and 1 RB in some variation.

Nunya

Reaction score
I am highly disappointed that JS/PC did not consult the expert football minds of this forum before making this trade. I mean, we at least have 300 years of experience with high school football, Madden, and flag football that greatly eclipses the experience of JS/PC. Some of us may even have some college football experience under our belt. Had they at least asked us our opinion first, they might have learned that the season is already over and we would need that 2nd round and 5th round pick to build for the future. Now I know we all said that the DL was a huge weakness last season, but how much talent does a team need?

Fade

Reaction score
Shocked Young only went for a 3rd.

Detroit shoulda jumped all over that for a 2nd.

Leonard Williams for a 2nd. Has to do with scarcity.

There are not a lot of high quality DTs of his caliber in the league. Edge guys in comparison grow on trees. Seattle also has the Giants paying $18M dollars of his salary (pretty much all of it.)

I'm just hoping they can get him signed in the off-season, so he just isn't a rental.

sutz

Reaction score
I am highly disappointed that JS/PC did not consult the expert football minds of this forum before making this trade. I mean, we at least have 300 years of experience with high school football, Madden, and flag football that greatly eclipses the experience of JS/PC. Some of us may even have some college football experience under our belt. Had they at least asked us our opinion first, they might have learned that the season is already over and we would need that 2nd round and 5th round pick to build for the future. Now I know we all said that the DL was a huge weakness last season, but how much talent does a team need?
You left out the decades of experience managing fantasy football franchises. 😈

LeveeBreak

Reaction score

There are not a lot of high quality DTs of his caliber in the league. Edge guys in comparison grow on trees. Seattle also has the Giants paying $18M dollars of his salary (pretty much all of it.)

I'm just hoping they can get him signed in the off-season, so he just isn't a rental.
This is correct. I'm not saying Williams is Aaron Donald...but that is the type of position he plays and he does it at the level just below. With our current D-line, adding williams is going to provide more opportunities to get at the QB for someone.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Shocked Young only went for a 3rd.

Detroit shoulda jumped all over that for a 2nd.

Just because FANS decide that x team should have done this or that, doesn't mean that's how other teams look at it.

How do you know that Detroit even didn't make calls about him? You don't. NOBODY does. The instant "we should have done that" isn't reality.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Question is Leonard Williams a FA 2024?

Lil confused right now.

Yes.

Some people thought he was under contract for 2024 because they saw that there was a line for 2024 on the page about his contract on OverTheCap.com, but they didn't actually look too carefully, because on that same page, it says he's a free agent in 2024, and the line for 2024 in the contract terms clearly say "void."
It still says that on the updated page, showing the deal he has with the Seahawks for the rest of the season in 2023 and a void year in 2024 with zero cap number.

To create some cap space in 2022, the Giants converted Williams's fully guaranteed salary into a bonus that could be spread out over three seasons, the third being the void year added to the contract, allowing them to put off 2/3 of the cap accounting of Williams's 2022 salary.

Last edited:

White Devil

Reaction score
I'm just along for the ride.

I'm hearing a couple of sources that like the move for what they're doing. The price was steep but they have no cap space and only have to cover the minimum.

Everyone here will agree the middle of the D-Line could be better. This does that.He's also a Captain. Highly respected player by players. More leadership mixed in with all of these young bucks can be really good for their development, too

warden

Reaction score
Just a reminder: the Commanders, 49ers, and Bears all play a 4-3. We play a 3-4.

Sweat and Young would not fit in here, unless you like 6'6" 270# guys dropping into coverage...
Yep we need a 300 pound 3/4 DL who could collapse the pocket, stop the run all while taking on a double team

Last edited:

nanomoz

Reaction score
A couple things....

1. It's a possibility that this is not a one year rental. Right now, it appears we are up against some serous cap limitations, but that can change. Also, expect LW to really ball out during the rest of the season as he tries to maximize his FA contract leverage.

2. I will admit, I don't like losing picks for short term rentals unless you are an absolute powerhouse who is objectively one piece away. (Sheldon Richardson is an example of what I hate).

3. We still have a 2024 1st, two 3rd's, and a 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th. Also the pick we gave the Giants will almost certainly not be a top 20 pick.

4. Like @SoulfishHawk insinuated early on. Picks are a crapshoot even for teams that do draft well. L. Williams is a known quantity, a sure thing if you will.

Look at this way, would you trade any of these guys for Leonard Williams.....

Christine Michael?
Paul Richardson?
Malik McDowell?
Ethan Pocic?
Marquise Blair?
D'Wayne Eskridge?

Those guys were all JS 2nd round picks. Sure, there are other unmentioned 2nd round picks that were absolute studs and that's not lost on me, but the point is we miss in the second as much as we hit.

If we extend him, I love it. If it's truly a half a year rental, I'm not near as happy. We are a better team than we were this morning though, and we should all be excited for that.
I'm luke warm on it for these reasons. Also, you need to include the more recent draft picks.

I'm certain that I don't think the Hawks as are as good as Pete and John think they are. But I guess I should be happy that they think they're close?

If this trade prevents the Hawks from having the assets to draft a QB, I haaaaaate it.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I'm luke warm on it for these reasons. Also, you need to include the more recent draft picks.

I'm certain that I don't think the Hawks as are as good as Pete and John think they are. But I guess I should be happy that they think they're close?

If this trade prevents the Hawks from having the assets to draft a QB, I haaaaaate it.

I'm really curious why so many of you think PC/JS would bundle picks to trade up and get a QB? I mean, where in the world do you actually get the idea they'd do this? You may want it, but that's not how they operate.

Yes, we get it, you'll haaaaaaaate it when they don't trade up in the first to pick #5 or better. You might as well prepare yourself now and just raise the hate level.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'm really curious why so many of you think PC/JS would bundle picks to trade up and get a QB? I mean, where in the world do you actually get the idea they'd do this? You may want it, but that's not how they operate.

Yes, we get it, you'll haaaaaaaate it when they don't trade up in the first to pick #5 or better. You might as well prepare yourself now and just raise the hate level.
Don't straw man me. Where did I say trade into the top 5? I didn't. But having fewer picks makes it harder to move around the board. Full stop. Maybe it's to #17. Maybe it's to move back then move back up.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I'd be shocked if they took a QB in the 1st round at #17 or even near there. They don't value first-round QBs the way you do. Look at this last year when there were QBs to be had and we had one of the highest picks in recent history. It simply won't happen. I cannot understand why you and others have any expectation that it would.

Whether it should happen is another conversation, of course. But even then, it's hard to argue against RW in the 3rd and Geno/Drew at this point.

No, the draft capital was much better spent on a known commodity on the D-line this season, with the possibility of extending it into next year rather than a very expensive crap-shoot in a 1st rd QB.

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
As always, as soon as the season is over we'll all wish we had the draft picks. Sellers always win, buyers always lose

Fade

Reaction score
Just because FANS decide that x team should have done this or that, doesn't mean that's how other teams look at it.

How do you know that Detroit even didn't make calls about him? You don't. NOBODY does. The instant "we should have done that" isn't reality.
They were on the phone with them according to reports.

They weighed it out, and decided the cost was too great. They may regret that come playoff time.