Time for Seahawks to be a pass-first offense

semiahmoo

Reaction score
That's how we have a shot at doing something this year in the playoffs.

Continue to unleash Wilson and our receiving crew who are among the most underrated in the league. Baldwin is da man.
Wilson is getting some legit swagger and dare I say, big Jimmy is showing signs of red zone domination. (Signs mind you - he's not there with this team - yet!)

The run game is second-tier. (has been since Beast left)

Wilson is ready to truly take over all facets of this offense. Go through him first and make the running game an afterthought.

Run and gun.

Go Hawks.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
For our own Defense sakes.. no. gotta keep running, plenty of teams without Lynch have run the ball.

I think there is another term someone refereed to it as "Chuck and duck" Buddy Ryan.

chris98251

Reaction score
semiahmoo":3qyqsfpt said:

Continue to unleash Wilson and our receiving crew who are among the most underrated in the league. Baldwin is da man.
Wilson is getting some legit swagger and dare I say, big Jimmy is showing signs of red zone domination. (Signs mind you - he's not there with this team - yet!)

Wilson is ready to truly take over all facets of this offense. Go through him first and make the running game an afterthought.

Run and gun.

Go Hawks.

When it's not expected we can get away with it, if teams have a chance to prepare not so much unless we can run, so your wrong.

sdog1981

Reaction score
This team would talk about toughness and pound the rock. Then they went out and drafted players that fit in a shotgun spread offense. The magic number for this team is 50, with 50 being the total number of completions and rush attempts.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2p7r8cvm said:
For our own Defense sakes.. no. gotta keep running, plenty of teams without Lynch have run the ball.

I think there is another term someone refereed to it as "Chuck and duck" Buddy Ryan.

well, first no one is saying don't run at all, just use the pass to set up the run and pass more than run.

"For our defenses sake" why you don't think that having an offense that can score a lot helps them. We held the ball for 29:38 almost a whole half throwing it most of the time, so its not about them being on the field too much. So why for our defenses sake. I would think scoring and moving the ball is better than 3 and outs which is what we get when we try to be a run-first team.

Anthony!

Reaction score
chris98251":34jqyq3l said:
semiahmoo":34jqyq3l said:

Run and gun.

Go Hawks.

When it's not expected we can get away with it, if teams have a chance to prepare not so much unless we can run, so your wrong.

well for one we really don't know that and for 2 we have thrown for 295 or more 4 times this year 3 of our last 4 wins we had 295 or more passing yards. Meanwhile, we have not been able to run for crap I am pretty sure they are expecting us to pass. In fact Houston coaches were saying that they expected us to pass more. So I think they already know and it has not mattered. As long as we keep calling a good game plan, and they protect our QB we are fine. We pass to set up the run and if the run starts working maybe we even it out, if not we keep passing.

Anthony!

Reaction score
sdog1981":1zlwm4fj said:
This team would talk about toughness and pound the rock. Then they went out and drafted players that fit in a shotgun spread offense. The magic number for this team is 50, with 50 being the total number of completions and rush attempts.

Kind of agree but we need to realize that is not going to be 25-25 it is more likely 20-30 with passing being the 30 give or take a few. While in years past it was 20-30 run. We just can't waste 30 rush attempts for 2 ypa

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Semiamhoo, Don't think Pete would agree, but you take what they give you.

The team would be stronger as a dominant force if the O was more multi-dimensional.

The O grinds it out and takes advantage of their opponents loading the box with a strong air game, and then runs them into the ground when the D sells out to stop the pass. A strong run game takes the pressure away from the D by forcing the opposition to stuff the O. The D is less gassed and as a result can stop the opposition better. if theth append thre is a synergy like we saw in 2013 and the the Ws follow.

I know Pete would rather the run game was strongest, although I'm sure he's pretty. Happy with what saw last Sunday on O, but not so much on Defence.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Anthony!":2tk21d15 said:
Bobblehead":2tk21d15 said:

well, first no one is saying don't run at all, just use the pass to set up the run and pass more than run.

"For our defenses sake" why you don't think that having an offense that can score a lot helps them. We held the ball for 29:38 almost a whole half throwing it most of the time, so its not about them being on the field too much. So why for our defenses sake. I would think scoring and moving the ball is better than 3 and outs which is what we get when we try to be a run-first team.

Just remember too many teams.. Colts and Patriots come to mind.. fast strike, last team to score wins.
I want our team to be Run oriented.. ball controlling, time controlling and Russ only passes for no more than 250 yards..

Besides, if teams are just trading points, whats the point in putting all the money into a defense that's going to be ineffective cause their gasping all the time? I think we want the offense on the field for time consuming drives, not necessarily a lot of drives.

Anthony!

Reaction score
jammerhawk":wen3ouku said:
Semiamhoo, Don't think Pete would agree, but you take what they give you.

The team would be stronger as a dominant force if the O was more multi-dimensional.

The O grinds it out and takes advantage of their opponents loading the box with a strong air game, and then runs them into the ground when the D sells out to stop the pass. A strong run game takes the pressure away from the D by forcing the opposition to stuff the O. The D is less gassed and as a result can stop the opposition better. if theth append thre is a synergy like we saw in 2013 and the the Ws follow.

I know Pete would rather the run game was strongest, although I'm sure he's pretty. Happy with what saw last Sunday on O, but not so much on Defence.

Ass again you realize we have not had a good run game all year and yet we are 5-2 and we have thrown for 295 or more4 of the 7 games. While I agree a stronger run game would be nice, that does not mean we should or will become a run-first team like we were 3 years ago, This team is only going to go as far as Wilson takes us and to do that we need to pass more. We will still run, but it will be pass to set up the run. Besides you don't think the defense will not get tired chasing Russ around, they will.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1jfl46p1 said:
Anthony!":1jfl46p1 said:
Bobblehead":1jfl46p1 said:

Just remember too many teams.. Colts and Patriots come to mind.. fast strike, last team to score wins.
I want our team to be Run oriented.. ball controlling, time controlling and Russ only passes for no more than 250 yards..

Besides, if teams are just trading points, whats the point in putting all the money into a defense that's going to be ineffective cause their gasping all the time? I think we want the offense on the field for time consuming drives, not necessarily a lot of drives.

just because we pass more doe snot mean it will be a trading scores thing. I mean look the week before against the giants we threw for over 300 yards but won by 17. Look at the Indy game we threw for 295 but won by 28. Just because we throw more does not mean were in the last score wins. I mean that is up to our defense but we don't have to be. If you look at all the games were we threw for 295 or more which were 4 games, only 1 game did our offense not hold the ball for 29 minutes or more(30 is half) and in that game, it was over 27 minutes so only 5 minutes different. So the defense has not been getting burned out when we pass a lot. In fact, the only game where we did not hold the ball a lot was Gb the rest we were all 27 or more. Now not all of this is on the offense either if the defense cant get off the file that also plays a part in the time of possession. However, as I pointed out passing more does not mean the Defense is on the field longer.

THE TABS

Reaction score
It was time to become a pass first offense two years ago. We simply did not plan accordingly.

We should have addressed our O-line in the draft, and we needed to find a legitimate X receiver, but didn’t.

We’ve jeopardized RW’s health in the process, and it’s a minor miracle that he’s never missed a game. Our front office needs to reevaluate our O-line philosophy, and start emphasizing athleticism rather than brawn.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Anthony!":g4gwtlcj said:
Bobblehead":g4gwtlcj said:
Anthony!":g4gwtlcj said:
Bobblehead":g4gwtlcj said:

just because we pass more doe snot mean it will be a trading scores thing. I mean look the week before against the giants we threw for over 300 yards but won by 17. Look at the Indy game we threw for 295 but won by 28. Just because we throw more does not mean were in the last score wins. I mean that is up to our defense but we don't have to be. If you look at all the games were we threw for 295 or more which were 4 games, only 1 game did our offense not hold the ball for 29 minutes or more(30 is half) and in that game, it was over 27 minutes so only 5 minutes different. So the defense has not been getting burned out when we pass a lot. In fact, the only game where we did not hold the ball a lot was Gb the rest we were all 27 or more. Now not all of this is on the offense either if the defense cant get off the file that also plays a part in the time of possession. However, as I pointed out passing more does not mean the Defense is on the field longer.
Your talking about two of the worst teams in the league..
Good teams don't get desperate if they know they can get the ball back quickly, they will get desperate if they realize the Hawks offense is on another long time consuming drive and they don't know when they will get the ball back, which forces them to pass the ball desperately, into the Hawks strength.. deep balls(well generally). Look, if the Hawks need fast points, they can still go that route, but it's not the norm I'm looking for.

As far as passing more? I remember that if Russ threw for more the 250 yards, we probably lost that game.. of course we had a runner back then. No, I think it's a crap shoot if were run and gun against a decent team.. We did it with Texas, but hell their pass defense is just awful.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Smellyman":1qkshu84 said:
RW is not elite, overthrows receivers, makes Oline look worse than it is, is too short, needs a great running game to be successful and needs a great D to be successful.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/play ... rdsPerGame
Wilson has a lot of downsides, but the things he can do are exceptional. I just wish our offense would play to his strengths more. Too often I feel like we are trying to pound a square peg in a round hole with Wilson. Despite his status as a backyard QB, I do think he is a QB that needs to get into a rhythm, and he functions quite well when we call the right plays. I think he would fit a Shanananananahan style of WCO very well. He does great with pockets that rotate, and move. With this style of offense you attack deep, but you can also use the passing game almost as extended hand offs. This would be preferable to going three and out, and putting our defense in awful field position.