Things I learned about the Seahawks last night

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Offensive MVP (Russell Wilson), Defensive MVP (Earl Thomas) are both great possibilities this season.

As a fan base, we need to make some NOISE to help make both happen. Go Hawks.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I learned that we have some of the best open field tacklers in the game. I guess I knew this since we play man so often on the edges, but you prevent big plays from wheel routes and screen passes through awesome open field tackling.

We do that.

This team is a match-up problem for any offense and I love that.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
CamanoIslandJQ":kh8d6hej said:
Offensive MVP (Russell Wilson), Defensive MVP (Earl Thomas) are both great possibilities this season.

As a fan base, we need to make some NOISE to help make both happen. Go Hawks.

There is no way Pey-Pey loses OMVP, which honestly, I have no problems with at all. Wilson finishing top three in the voting would be a mini-triumph for me.

I think Thomas as DMVP won't happen because he'll split the "a Seahawk should win the DMVP award" with Sherm.

We have a better chance at Carroll wining COY and Schneider winning EOY, both of which should obviously happen.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Disagree on Wagner, hew has played games this good lots of times.

On the secondary, because of Earl, our corners get to play an easier scheme than almost any other group of corners in the league. Depth is good, don't get me wrong, but with all the talk about our receivers playing the redline last week, it was lost that the corners play deep thirds and try to make opposing quarterbacks play outside that red line. Put Lane and Maxwell on some other teams and they become JAGs.

OLYhawks

Reaction score
If ever there is a way to eat crow, this is the way to do. Awesome write up good sir!

Timberhawk

Reaction score
Agree with Sonic. Great job talking all around but especially in the open field. Anyone remember that play where KJ was one on one with Ingram, I believe, and Ingram tried to juke KJ but KJ got just enough hold of him to pull him out of bounds to stop what could have been a fair gain? That was awesome and indicative of the angles the LB's and DB's take and how well they tackle.

I love how deep the corners look and how well they played, but I'd love to see it again and again the next three weeks before I'm ready to write off WTIII and maybe Browner.

Our run blocking wasn't great, especially against the Saints 30th ranked run D, but it looks like they did a lot to stop the run which opened up the passing game which RW brilliantly took advantage of. So, maybe the run blocking wasn't so bad and Beast's presence was still felt in a big way if that was true.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
SonicHawk":3nr7021b said:
I learned that we have some of the best open field tacklers in the game. I guess I knew this since we play man so often on the edges, but you prevent big plays from wheel routes and screen passes through awesome open field tackling.

We do that.

This team is a match-up problem for any offense and I love that.

Fellow posters....just watch the rest of the 6-6 or so NFL teams each Sunday. Watch on "Screen Passes' ect. as the DB's attempt to bring down the RB or TE's one on one. The ball carrier will break free more than 50% of the time. Our DB's are 90% sure handed....a big factor in our Defense.

kearly

Reaction score
Wait, you actually thought the Saints defense was under-rated? They had a historically bad defense the year before, and lept into the top 5 this season with basically the same core of players. Their front seven has exactly one guy who's pro-bowl caliber (Jordan) and yet they were racking up sacks and pressures this season, which screams fluke. We've always known their secondary had issues. The rest of their division has not been very good offensively this season, and their AFC slate includes the Jets, Bills, and Dolphins. If you had asked me before the game, the Saints would have been my pick for the NFL's most mirage-like defense.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":1383r3v5 said:
Wait, you actually thought the Saints defense was under-rated? They had a historically bad defense the year before, and lept into the top 5 this season with basically the same core of players. Their front seven has exactly one guy who's pro-bowl caliber (Jordan) and yet they were racking up sacks and pressures this season, which screams fluke. We've always known their secondary had issues. The rest of their division has not been very good offensively this season, and their AFC slate includes the Jets, Bills, and Dolphins. If you had asked me before the game, the Saints would have been my pick for the NFL's most mirage-like defense.
Same way I felt about the Falcons last year.

kearly

Reaction score
Montana, I take it as a compliment that you felt I delved into hyperbole for Wilson. That said, I honestly feel that I never over-reached in my projections for him. His last season at Wisconsin, which I studied more than I'd like to admit, was a masterpiece. Mechanics / release point, footwork, arm strength, leadership, feel for the game, intangibles, mobility, elusiveness, accuracy... his zany awesomeness... it was off the charts. The only question was, would it translate?

When I heard about his line being taller than any NFL line and his ridiculously low batted ball number, coupled with no apparent height related struggles on tape, that sold me on him. I did not peg him as a HOFer right out of the gate, but by the KC game last preseason, I was there. It was never a question of ability, only a question of what kind of unforeseeable factors might rear their head. None have, and now we have ourselves an MVP candidate at QB.

BleedGreenNblue

Reaction score
i think the most lethal thing about russell is his accuracy and capability to throw off balance and on the run..Unmatched

capncrunch

Reaction score
Awesome post. Wow. I enjoyed reading that immensely as I did Kearly's this morning. I haven't even gotten around to Danny O'Neill's or Clare Farnsworth. I liked that you touched on the coaching. There has been a lot of criticism of Bevell in this forum over the course of the season, and I'm not saying I always disagreed with it, but dude was awesome last night. Also, I like the way we are using so many different players. Lockette, for example, made an awesome catch, which I'm glad was not challenged :) If I had to make a complaint of last night it was the dang penalties. We should have less. Awesome article Montana. Hope the weather is nice out there!

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
kearly":3barbc38 said:
Montana, I take it as a compliment that you felt I delved into hyperbole for Wilson.

It was a compliment.

HolyCatfish

Reaction score
Brilliant and humble analysis. Cheers!

I learned I to just believe, Sunday evening before the game it hit me like a vision. This old timer is tired of worrying about the talking heads and the next game or getting stressed about the odds. This might be the closest thing to finding religion for me, but I'm going to believe, and believe unconditionally.

Every Seahawk player believes unequivocally that they can beat their game day assignment. We can at least do the same.

Just believe.