The pick is IN! #5

ivotuk

Reaction score
The trend in the league is to get the ball out in 2.6 seconds or less, long before any Dlinemen can effect the QB.

To combat that, the trend on the defensive side is too have TWO Elite CBs and multiple Safeties to delay the QB and allow the Dlinemen time to get there.

Witherspoon = Elite DB = L.O.B. II.

Tell me, who here is opposed to Pete creating L.O.B. II?

Optimus25

Reaction score
Everyone talking about the run defense needs to know Witherspoon has way above average tackling and run support instincts, which basically leveraged his value above the gamble of Carter or Wilson.

Reminder, Bobby is back in town. LOTS more plays are about to try to exploit the outside edges and flats, and this pick is a grand slam to complement the current personnel and put some smack back in the D.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I am willing to bet Anderson was their plan A, trade down was plan B, staying pat and drafting Witherspoon was plan C, and Richardson wasn't even a thought at #5.

You could be right with your above assessment though we probably will never know. My thinking is that they had to have more than one option for 5 before a trade down, and going to plan C. They likely were unable to find a trade they liked though.

Lots of very interesting choices left for DLine guys, undoubtedly they'll surprise us and our preconceptions about draft needs and player abilities. I do believe though high football character will be a key factor with every pick and players with character questions will not likely be fits anymore.

Last edited:

Fade

Reaction score
You could be right with your above assessment though we probably will never know. My thinking is that they had to have more than one option for 5 before a trade down, and going too plan C. They likely were unable to find a trade they liked though.

Lots of very interesting choices left for DLine guys, undoubtedly they'll surprise us and our preconceptions about draft needs and player abilities. I do believe though high football character will be a key factor with every pick and players with character questions will not likely be fits anymore.
Educated speculation ahead:

There might've been a contingency in there, like scenario Y, to have all of their bases covered. But Seattle has/had the draft ammunition to get their Franchise QB if they truly loved a guy in this draft. They might've liked Richardson, but they did not love him enough to go get him.

#1 Young
#2 Seattle moves up takes Richardson.
#3 Houston moves up takes Stroud.
#4 Houston moves up takes Anderson. Indy missing out on their guy willingly trades down.

A scenario such as this would've played out had Seattle really loved Richardson. Or they just would've beat Carolina to the punch and traded with the Bears for the #1 spot and had their pick of the litter if they truly loved these QBs.

Richardson has to be used like an RG3, Lamar Jackson type to be effective, and is the biggest gamble in this draft.I don't think Seattle is interested in a run first QB.

I think they liked Young, Stroud, and Levis tepidly. Young who plays like Russell Wilson, and Stroud who plays a lot like Geno Smith. Levis who plays like an untamed Favre. Seattle likes guys who are accurate and can play QB, but can also run when things break down. Richardson is not that guy, he is a massive project that has to be used as a runner if he plays early, and it may never come together for him due to lack of experience.

Seahawks fans will be thanking their lucky stars they didn't take any of these QBs with the 5th pick in a year or two. Most overrated 1st rd QB class of all time outside of the '21 class.

That would be the: Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, Mac Jones class.

Paying Drew Lock very good backup money was a tell they didn't like these QBs.

massari

Reaction score
Sucks they didn't come out with a top QB or elite pass rush prospect, but they didn't reach for anyone and took the BPA. That's all you can ask for.

A+

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I'm no draft guru, but I see neither an elite pass rush prospect, nor a top QB in this draft. That's what made it so frustrating to have the #5 pick this year. Just not much in the way of true, top 5 talent in this draft. My preferred pick at 5 was Wilson, but he has no business being picked at 5.

Witherspoon is better at what he does than Wilson is at what he does. So, the pick makes sense. There just isn't much top 5 talent this year.

Anderson may be the closest thing to an elite defensive prospect. I would have been happy if he fell to us. Carter is just a dumpster fire. How does anyone show up to the biggest day of their career so far overweight and out of shape. His best chance of success is going somewhere where he has the luxury of being a rotational piece on an elite line. He will have more success in Philly than elsewhere, but he's a major gamble who may well be washed out before he sees a second contract.

Latest posts